Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

MacOS Big Sur with Hero8 Black & Media Mod

[ New ]

My camera is at v 2.5. My MacOS installation is fully updated.

I cannot get the camera to be recognized by the computer. When plugged in, the only change on the camera is that the LED shows the battery is charging. I have tried connecting with the camera in both connection modes (MTP and GoPro Connect), in and out of the Media mod case and I have tried mutliple cables and two different Macintoshes. I have tried power cycling the camera and the computers. I have manually updated the camera software. I have installed and uninstalled and reinstalled Go Pro's web cam software.

This camera successfully connected in the past; I could use it as a web cam, and I could see the camera in Image Capture and FCPX. I believe this problem started at the same time I updated MacOS to BigSur.

On tech support today I was told that the web cam software doesn't work if the camera is in the Media mod; that's weird, but ok. Is it possible there is some conflict between whatever additional software gets added to the camera when the Media mod is installed and BigSur that could affect allowing the camera to be recognized as a USB defvice?

I had, and at some point removed, a Hero8 network adapter in Network in System Preferences. I have no idea how to restore that adapter or how it was installed.

Really hoping for some help. The idea of having to use the SD card to move files between the camera and my computer is aggravating in the extreme.

GoPro

Re: MacOS Big Sur with Hero8 Black & Media Mod

[ New ]

Hi @rsdancey

Your camera should work as a webcam whether it's on the Media Mod or not.

We'll have the case sent for review.

If you haven't yet, please try the steps on Camera is not Recognized when Plugged into a Computer USB Port 

To help isolate the issue further, would you be able to test the camera with another computer?

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Sure, I can test with a 3rd computer. I will report results here.

Tourist

[ New ]

Update:

It was the cable(s).

I tried a third cable and was able to establish a USB connection with the Mac. Seems I have two bad cables.

GoPro

[ New ]

Good to know that the issue is resolved, @rsdancey. Thank you for posting back for an update and for sharing the solution.