Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Anonymous

How to install GoPro Cineform codec on windows 10

[ New ]

I am a 1st time user of Go Pro products. I recently purchased a Go Pro Hero 6. I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 to edit my videos. I have tried to import my Go Pro videos to Adobe Premiere but all I get is an audio file.

I traced my problem back to missing Go Pro Cineform Codec. How can I install that codec in my system? Is there any link or app that lets me install the codec so as to let me import my footage directly to Premiere but retain the high quality as was in the original footage?

I am using an Acer Aspire E5 - 575G

Intel(R) Core i5, 4GB RAM, 64 bit Windows 10 OS

A step by step guide to procuring and installing the codec will be very helpful. Please help.

Explorer

Re: How to install GoPro Cineform codec on windows 10

[ New ]
Have you installed the Quik desktop app? If not, try that as it should automatically install any files you might need. You shouldn't need to install any Codecs except for the Windows HEVC codec for 4K/60, 4K 4:3, 2.7/120, and 1080/240. To do that you will need to visit the Windows store.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions/9nmzlz57r3t7?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab
All you need to do is download and run. It will handle the rest.

Unfortunately, your computer is pretty under powered so I suggest you use proxies if you are going to be editing high resolution/frame rate videos.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I have some video previously encoded with Cineform's Neoscene. I am curious if it differs from the GoPro's current version of Cineform.

I cannot open these in Win10, and, per the posts above, I attempted installing Quik as well as the HVEC codec pack. That didn't seem to resolve it for me.

The codec name, as reported by GSpot is CineForm 10-bit Visually Perfect HD (Wavelet). Where can I get this codec?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

The CineForm codec was included in the GoPro Studio application before but this app has already been retired. You can check other (third-party) editing software that might offer this. We do not have any particular recommendation but other member in the Hub might be able to share. Let us watch out for their reply. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

Is Gopro really saying here that they are providing no way for us to access the video files we created using their Studio product over the years???

I am using an imac with high Sierra, it has Quick installed, and studio 2.5.12, but I have just discovered I cannot play a bunch of old video that was saved from studio in .mov (cineform?) format.

I have tried Quicktime 7, and that just plays audio.

How do I recover this video??

Cant believe gopro have just dropped support like this.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @iainm55430

Have you tried playing the videos using another or a different media player? Do you have the latest QuickTime version on your Mac? See if these would factor in. For a more personalized support, you can get in touch with our Support team  here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . They will be able to walk you through troubleshooting steps. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes, i have the latest version of Quicktime, (10.4), that tries to convert the movie, then just gives an error saying it cant open it.  Same result for a lot of different movies.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I purchased the Cineform codec and encoder from Neoscene about 10 years ago and encoded some very important family videos using it. These documented family weddings, holidays, and birthdays. I intended for these recordings to be my masters of these events, and I burned them to millenium discs and put them into vault storage.

I recently had a disaster which caused me to lose most of my lower-quality copies of these videos, so I went to my master copies to re-produce the videos.

It was infuriating to discover that I could no longer decode these videos. Like many here, all I hear is the audio.

I spent a couple of hours on the phone with GoPro support, but finally gave up after having 2 supervisors tell me that they have abandonned the Cineform codec and offer zero support for it. They went out of their way to point out that I purchased the codec and encoder from Neoscene, not GoPro, so I was lucky to have been getting any attention from them at all.

They could at least make a free-to-download decoder available for customers, like most of us here, who just need to convert their media to a format that isn't under control of the whim of GoPro's technical management.

For whatever it's worth, there are a number of places on the web where you can download copies of the discontinued Studio product. I found a copy and was able to leverage it to convert my videos on my Mac. I attempted to use it to convert on my Windows 10 PC, but could never get the codec to work.

Good luck to those still trying to retrieve their memories from GoPro. What they have done here is shameful.

If anyone is interested in how I recovered my videos, feel free to message me. I'll do what i can to help, including giving advice on finding a clean version of Studio to aid in your conversion.

Hiker

[ New ]

It looks like I have found a workaround using Studio.  I can drag and drop them into the edit stage, then export them as HD. This will then play in Qtime.  Guess originally storing them in what I thought was Gopro's best format was my mistake.  I have 3 gopros that I use a lot, this has dented my confidence in how much of my video will be accessible in years to come.

Sightseer

[ New ]

The answer given by GoPro is completely unacceptable. Ive spent thousands on your hardware and your software is complete garbage. Now your telling me I cant even watch or properly edit the videos I take? So can I get a refund for my 2 hero blacks and my fusion so I can buy a real camera from a real camera company that I can actually make the footage I require? These cameras have been nothing but a headache since I got them a month ago, work arounds dont work for me. If you can use a codec to record the video, you can supply it to us and keep a repository of legacy codecs for the older cameras as new ones are released. If you at least made some kind of half decent software to edit the footage in I may understand but the Fusion is just an over priced still photo camera at the end of the day from the way you have everything setup. Complete waste of time, money and materials to build the hardware. Just another piece of tech to end up in a landfill. 

Explorer

[ New ]
Adobe help FAQ regarding GoPro Cineform https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/gopro-cineform-codec.html

GoPro FAQ regarding the open sourcing of the Cineform Codec https://gopro.com/en/us/news/gopro-open-sources-the-cineform-codec

Article regarding playing Cineform videos https://havecamerawilltravel.com/gopro/gopro-cineform-format/amp/

Cineform Codec https://gopro.github.io/cineform-sdk/

I spent all of a minute doing a Google search and finding the above. I'm sure if you put a little more time into this you can find even more info to help you out.

Tourist

[ New ]

I disagree buddy, i have clicked on all 4 of your links and none of them give me what i want which is a simple CODEC that i click on installs on the windows laptop and then when i click play on my videos it does not ask me to pay 100$ to download the codec on the microsoft store. I agree with previous forum entry, extremely poor service by GoPro

@danielr15 wrote:
Adobe help FAQ regarding GoPro Cineform https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/gopro-cineform-codec.html

GoPro FAQ regarding the open sourcing of the Cineform Codec https://gopro.com/en/us/news/gopro-open-sources-the-cineform-codec

Article regarding playing Cineform videos https://havecamerawilltravel.com/gopro/gopro-cineform-format/amp/

Cineform Codec https://gopro.github.io/cineform-sdk/

I spent all of a minute doing a Google search and finding the above. I'm sure if you put a little more time into this you can find even more info to help you out.

Explorer

[ New ]
Get DaVinci Resolve and VLC video player
Nomad

[ New ]

[qoute]

Hello @nicestar34234

The CineForm codec was included in the GoPro Studio application before but this app has already been retired. You can check other (third-party) editing software that might offer this. We do not have any particular recommendation but other member in the Hub might be able to share. Let us watch out for their reply. 

Best regards, 
Marius

[/qoute]

ok, i am kicking this topic a bit.

if cineform is retirred, then why include it in the gopro max exporter for exporting in 5.6K when there is no video.?

or am i missing a point here.

Explorer

[ New ]
Cineform isn't retired, GoPro Studio is. Cineform is an open source professional lossless video codec. It's used in professional video editors like DaVinci Resolve. GoPro used to own Cineform but they released it for free distribution. GoPro Max Exporter uses it because it's the best codec for maximizing the bit rate data of the video.
Nomad

[ New ]

ya, but file size is also insane, and the video editor i use, Corel, says no go to the file, wel, it says, its audio only here.

cant find a download link to the gopro site, and i am not risking getting it from a weardo website.

Explorer

[ New ]
File size is large because it's lossless (uncompressed). This is preferred for video editing. GoPro doesn't own Cineform anymore.
Nomad

[ New ]

eh, ok.

didnt know,

found a SDK on github, lets see if i can find a download, i am not in for compiling it hehe