Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

How do I simply join all the split up video clips.

I'm kind of pissed after buying the Hero 8 to find that my long videos inexplicably get diced up into a multitude of short video clips. The only thing I could find on the web is that it's to prevent corruption from destroying an entire video (that I guess splitting them means only one small clip will get corrupted). Fine, whatever (I'd rather this be a preference in the camera to split or not split video), but how is there not a way to easily join the clips back together when offloading from the camera?!?!

I got the GoPro Quik app expecting this would be the solution (why did I have to make an account just to use the app?), and found that, nope, it doesn't easily join the clips. I'm going to almost always be shooting long videos, and all I want is a quick one or two-click way to join the clips back into the one long video that I shot... with no recompression. Quik appears to just be a simple editor. I don't want to edit these, I don't want to do any work just to join these clips back together. I just want to select my clips and click a button "Join" and a full video gets stitched together, in order, from the clips... with no recompressing so that the one long video gets assembled quickly and losslessly. Or, ideally, just check a box before importing into Quik and have the clips get joined as it imports. I do want to edit my video, but using a professional editor and my one long video file. I don't want to have to manage a bunch of randomly split short clips.

Please make an option in Quik, or make another standalone utility app, where I can select all of these split clips and quickly stitch them back together into the one long video that I initially shot.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: How do I simply join all the split up video clips.

Hello, @seanm3166. You may use other programs to view and edit your GoPro footage. There is also a list of programs here that you can check out. 

Alternatively, you can explore the use of the GoPro App for multi-clip editing. These steps will guide you through the process.  

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, thanks so much for responding. I appreciate it. However, all of your links reference editing programs, which I already have an don't need. What I'm looking for is a simple utility to stitch together all of the broken GoPro clips back into one long video file, which I will then bring into an editor to edit. I don't want to have to burn time manually managing/editing the 20+ clips that the GoPro camera breaks up back into one file, and especially don't want the clips recompressed.

I'm actually looking for something like this link and screenshot below, where it's a simple window, and I select all my clips, drag them into the window, click join, and it spits out one seamless, un-recompressed file with all of the clips joined back together. Unfortunately, this particular app doesn't work and just crashes or spits out a corrupt file, so it's useless. The main reason for un-recompressed process is that, without recompressing, it will stitch/process the files quickly. If an app has to recompress video, it takes a long time to process.

https://www.mp4joiner.org/en/

If anyone knows of a simple mp4 joining/stitching utility for the Mac. Please let me know. Thank You!

I wish GoPro would just make this utility, or incorporate it into the Quik app. It's irritating that GoPro designed their camera to break up your one long video into separate files, but offers no simple, one-click way to fix/stitch them back together. How it should work is that the camera should flag start and stop times, and the Quik app should just automatically see which clips belong to each start/stop recording and stitch them back together on import.

MP4 Joiner.jpg
Highlighted
Sightseer

I'd like to know this too.  I too purchased a Hero 8 and will typically be taking just under 2 hour long videos that I want to share

I get a bunch of just under 12 minute clips with no clear way to stich together.

I joined the Plus account for Cloud.  I had a problem uploading the video and I found the next day I had one long video.  I'm on my second large upload currently.  maybe the cloud will stitch them?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @lonkelm and @seanm3166. It is only through post-processing that the split/chaptered files can be joined. Chaptering is automatically done in the camera and not something that can be adjusted. 

You might want to explore GoPro Labs. It features QR-coded functions, one of which is chaptering for up to 12GB (instead of the current 4GB). Visit the GoPro Labs page for details. 

@lonkelm. The only way for a single, long video to be uploaded to cloud as-is is if the upload is done via auto upload, that is with the camera as a hub. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi mariustanya,

I upgraded the labs firmware and was this close to doing the QR code to enable the 12GB feature, and while this wouldn't solve the problem of being able to turn a one, two, or three-hour extended capture into one giant video file, the slightly longer clips/chapters would still be welcome. But right before I was about to do the QR code, I read the "Warning" which said, "Warning: Larger chapters may not work everywhere in the ecosystem, even the camera will not playback or USB transfer files larger than 4GB in this current firmware. Yet the files are valid and accessible using a SD Card reader, and have been tested to work in many tools." Unfortunately, this makes the feature a deal-breaker. I'm looking for more functionality in my camera, not something that will cripple other features.

And I understand your note that it's "only through post-processing that the split/chaptered files can be joined." This makes sense and is perfectly fine. This is what I'd prefer, either an option in the "GoPro Quik" desktop app to join clips, or preferably a separate software app/utility where I can drag my clips into a window, it sorts them all in order, and with a click, a joined file (with no recompression) gets exported. There actually is an app like this I used years ago before I had my GoPro, It was a perfect and simple one-trick-pony utility, but it's so old and hasn't been updated in so long that it no longer works with newer MP4 formats, so, unfortunately, it's useless now, but it was the perfect joining app: https://www.mp4joiner.org/en/

But thanks for the tip. Hopefully, GoPro will take under consideration of adding either an option in the Quik app, or a separate software utility to make a chapter joining feature for short clips, like the mp4joiner app above.

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the feedback. @seanm3166

We'll have this shared with the team. Please continue checking our website for updates.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Hiker

The App is designed by children for children and is full of bugs, broken UI decisions and missing functionality.

I posted previously about this.

Additionally, the lack of a convenient mechanism to stitch files into a single large file demonstrates how little clue you have about what needs to be done.

(Hint: If you must pretend you know more than your users, you could even stitch the files automatically at file transfer, since you know exactly which files constitute a single video session.)

The sticker function is totally screwed up as well, and AFAIK adding the stickers is necessary before sending the file to some real video application on an actual computer.

Here is the most simple task that needs to be done constantly for longer recordings of video that needs the GPS data.

1. Stitch several consecutively recorded files on the GoPro camera into one file.
  2. Add stickers.
  3. Trim the start & end.
  4. Place file on PC/Mac

Good luck trying!

IMG_0474[1].PNG