Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Re: How do I import media from a non-GoPro camera?

Here we are — a year and a half since irate customers began asking why GoPro refuses to allow its users to blend anything other than GoPro content into its apps, obstinately ignoring the pleas of its user base by dictating that we have no rights of content integration. We live in a world rich in multimedia content captured in by a wide array of tools, yet GoPro keeps content creators in chains.

One person is to blame — GoPro funder and CEO Nicholas Woodman, the highest-paid chief executive in the US in 2014 when he received a bundle of stock worth $285 million when GoPro went public. 

This year, Woodman will receive no more than $1 after GoPro's board slashed his salary and stripped him of his bonuses following lower-than-expected sales, job cuts and its withdrawal from the camera drone market. Once a private tech company valued at more than $1 billion, GoPro ihas been valued this year on public markets at $712 million. Seems there is justice in this world after all. What goes around, comes around. Woodman's redemption could begin by listening to his customers, though given his performance, I doubt that will happen. 

Sightseer

How is this thread marked solved? Here at the end of 2018, frustrated with quik. Running a hero 7, take my first footage and go to import it. Quik can't find it as I have an older desktop that does't support h265. No problem, download handbrake like they say and convert the files to h264. That's done, (took a year to convert a day's footage) and guess what? Quik doesn't recognized the converted files, so I can't edit in quik. As buggy as studio was at least I could use it, (and add in video from my android etc when necessary.)

HOW. IS. THIS. MARKED. SOLVED. GOPRO SUPPORT.
Tourist

All you have to do is find a tool that can set EXIF data. If you're trying to do timelapse photos like I was, you'll want one that can set the EXIF properties on multiple files at once. Look at the EXIF property values of a genuine GoPro file from your camera. Set those same ones on the file(s) you're trying to import. If I remember right, there was only one, maybe two that needed to be set for it to work. I think one had the name of my GoPro camer "HERO Silver" or something's like that.

Now everyone please stop whining and yelling about it on this thread cause I can't unsubscribe and I can't be the only one from the 42 replies sick of getting identical, griping emails from a 2 year old thread. It's not a petition. Start a new one!
Sightseer

Thanks for the help, but that's not a solution from gopro, that's a work around for the work around. And we all have to guess on some EXIF editor, hope it works, (and hope wherever the jank download came from is legit.)

You're right it's not a petition, it's a thread on a support page. Deal with it.

Tourist

It's not a support thread cause GoPro isn't reading it and doesn't care about it. They're not going to read 2 year old threads marked as solved. All they've done since this thread was created is make their apps worse and less reliable. You can buy an EXIF editor if you're worried about it. You can't change the app but you can change your files so the app accepts them. That's the best anyone is gonna get unless someone takes it up with GoPro in a more direct manner or GoPro just decide to do it on their own.