Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

How do I convert to cineform?

[ New ]

I recently bought my first GoPro and have been trying to learn a bit about editing to get the most out of the the footage. I've read a lot of posts talking about how converting to cineform maximises quality however I havent seen anything to suggest how to do this. Does it have to be done manually or does importing videos into Quik automatically convert them to get the best quality? 

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: How do I convert to cineform?

[ New ]

Hello @gabrielt40

Instead of VSDC, you can explore DaVinci Resolve that offers the Cineform codec as an option for conversion. This is not an official GoPro video but you might find this helpful. If you go to the timeline at about 31:00, the author shows where the options for conversion are. Or, you can find it by going to Deliver rightmost, bottom line button) and Cineform will be among the drop-down options for Codec. 

You can also check on the Adobe Media Encoder. More information here:  GoPro Cineform Intermediate Codec Support. There are also instructions here for exporting media through the Cineform codec. I hope this helps. 

Best regards, 

Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @gabrielt40

Converting to Cineform is a function supported by the old GoPro Studio application. Quik for desktop does not have this feature. Since GoPro Studio has already been retired, you can explore other video editors online to be able to do the conversion. You can check out VSDC for Windows, iMovie for Mac, and similar applications. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

Would you be able to link me to somewhere where I can see how to convert to cineform codec using VSDC

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @gabrielt40

Instead of VSDC, you can explore DaVinci Resolve that offers the Cineform codec as an option for conversion. This is not an official GoPro video but you might find this helpful. If you go to the timeline at about 31:00, the author shows where the options for conversion are. Or, you can find it by going to Deliver rightmost, bottom line button) and Cineform will be among the drop-down options for Codec. 

You can also check on the Adobe Media Encoder. More information here:  GoPro Cineform Intermediate Codec Support. There are also instructions here for exporting media through the Cineform codec. I hope this helps. 

Best regards, 

Marius