Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

Hero 9 Webcam and Mac High Sierra - Not Working

[ New ]
Hi,
I have tried this over the last week. Followed instructions from the website carefully but it just does not work.

After the software is installed and the computer restarted the webcam icon appears on the menu bar. When selected most of the options are greyed out. Preferences will not open. Pressing quit does not do anything.

Software does not recognise the Hero 9 even though it is connected with USB 2 and set to MTB.

Regards

Rodney
GoPro

Re: Hero 9 Webcam and Mac High Sierra - Not Working

[ New ]

Hello, @johnrodney. When using the camera as a webcam, it must be set to GoPro Connect under USB Connection. See if doing this resolves the issue. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi Mariustanya,

Thank you for the reply. I changed the connection to Gopro Connect as you suggested. 

On the Mac High Sierra this still does not work. The Webcam software does not recognise that a camera is connected. Although the Hero 9 does say that it is connected via USB. I get the impression that Gopro has dropped all development for webcam use on a laptop or desktop for the Hero 9.

On my iPad however the webcam function does work through the GoPro app. However, everything seems limited with regards to options. Live stream only to Youtube, Facebook etc. No option just to use the Hero 9 as a webcam to fiends or family etc. 

It all seems a bit to prescribed and controlled. Not really the funloving impression Gopro give in their marketing.

Regards

Rodney

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @johnrodney

Please go over the steps on GoPro Webcam FAQ and Troubleshooting

If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Heads up! Our team is currently working through a volume of contacts, response time may be slightly longer than usual.

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi Ej,

Thanks for the reply and the link to GoPro Webcam FAQ and Troubleshooting

Unfortunately for me these suggestions do not work under High Sierra 10.13.6

Under the System Preferences, System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy > check GoPro Webcam. The Gopro webcam does not show appear.

I am using a computer with USB 2 ports so this may be the problem.

The Software (Version 1.0.224) seems to be a major problem as well. Even though the icon appears in the menu bar, nothing from the drop down menu works. The Preferences and Quit options are available but do not work when clicked on. All other options are greyed out.

Regards

Rodney 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hello @johnrodney i am having the exact same issue, i am on High Sierra 10.13.6 and it shows the icon but nothing is active, just preferences but not working, i have read as well that this might be a problem of the USB2 ports, I am as well on USB 2 ports, and not 3.0, so if you have any updates here, please reply back to see how this be fixed.

THank you!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Exactly the same problem. I have the 2011 iMac and the app does not respond at all.

Does anyone have any solutions/is this being addressed?

Sightseer

[ New ]

Exactly the same problem. I have a 2011 iMac and the app does not respond at all.

Does anyone have any solutions/is this being addressed?

Hiker

[ New ]

It pains me to suggest this but, umfortunately there isn't a solution and I very much doubt if Gopro will be working on one. The Hero 9 is only going to work as a webcam through their IOS App.

Plus with the arrival of Mac's Big Sur Gopro will have enough to deal with, so I can't see them working on software for High Sierra.

Rodders : )

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone. The latest version of the webcam utility (or one released after 9/16) works with Mac OS 10.14 or newer. Be sure to update to this OS version in order to use the webcam utility. 

Hiker

[ New ]

High Sierra is 10.13

Unfortunately 2011 Macs cannot go to 10.14

Regards

Rodney

Tourist

[ New ]

I have also an iMAC from 2010 using High Sierra 10.13.6 and recently ordered the Hero9 cam.

One of my key intentions why i orderdd the cam is also to use it as webcam.

@GoproTeam, is there really an issue to use the cam as webcam with the set up  described above.

I hope not otherwise I have to cancel my order.

Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

any update please ?

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same problem! Running High Sierra 10.13.6 Please fix this. :(

Tourist

[ New ]

about to try 10.14. will report back. none of the tech support could help, so this is my last resort

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello Everyone. The latest version of the webcam utility (or one released after 9/16) works with Mac OS 10.14 or newer. Be sure to update to this OS version in order to use the webcam utility. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Mine is not working eiather with High Sierra, the webcam icon does not give access to the menu. Is GOPRO going to fix this? otherwise I will return it

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @eduardosoldan. The latest version of the webcam utility tool works only on Mojave (10.14 or newer). Be sure to update your computer OS. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I really need this this to work as a wencam on High Sierra version 10.13.6