Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Sightseer

Hero 8 - Mac Import Software??

[ New ]

I've used my camera for the first time.  I cannot figure out a way to import via USB the video.  I see no desktop software for Mac on the website.  

the camera is NOT recognized by the mac, either.  Please DON'T refer me to the numerous tutorials about getting mac to recognize my camera as they aren't working, I've tried.  I see answers also that refer to "Quik for Desktop" but the link to this software is not working and appears gone.

Is there no software provided by GoPro that works to allow this?  It seems the only method may be to upload to the cloud (take forever) and then download to my mac to edit.  Is this correct?

Shouldn't be this hard, really.  I've spent hours trying to do this - hopefully it is user error and I am missing something easy.

GoPro

Re: Hero 8 - Mac Import Software??

[ New ]

Hello @jayrunslong

Are you installing the app from the link on GoPro legacy software?

On the camera, make sure that the USB Connection setting is set to MTP.

Let us know how it goes.

You may also try using an SD card adapter to access the files.

In addition, please note that while some functions of cameras may work with Quik for desktop, we have not provided any updates to the program prior to HERO8 and therefore we are unable to determine what features will work, what won't, and what consistency you may get with HERO8 and newer models.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]
Thanks - that worked.
Hiker

[ New ]

So, just to be clear - yes, GoPro's desktop software is a mess (I just came here to see if there were any updates on the problem) but you shouldn't need special software to import your video.

First, you can import to your hard drive, by popping out the memory card, putting it in a card reader, and plugging it into your Mac. 

Second, you can import video to Apple Photos by making sure your GoPro's USB mode is set to "MTP" and plugging the GoPro into your computer. If your GoPro is set to "GoPro Connect" mode then it's configured as a webcam and will not be recognized as a camera by Apple Photos.

If you tried #2 and you still don't get anything it's possible you have a bad USB cable or bad USB port on your Mac.

BTW - you can still download Quik for Mac but it's as buggy as heck and doesn't recognize the Hero's GPS data. See: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-legacy-software/ta-p/595533#/start=1 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am surprised there is not software that supports it. 

Will Photos on mac pull in GPS data?  I am very interested in being able to overlay the video with the route.  I've seen Garmin Virb but am not sure if other software can do the same for GoPro.

Thanks

Hiker

[ New ]

As far as I understand it, the data will be present in the video files but Photos won't know what to do with it. I'm very frustrated with GoPro and their letting the GPS data problem go on for so long.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Was browsing through this thread due to having the exact same issues that apparently many of us with Macs are having. I just got my GoPro Hero 8 and am extremely new to this whole video downloading and editing game. After about 2 hours of frustration, I gave your recommendation a shot and switched the USB Connection preference to MTP versus the default GoPro Connect and instantly my GoPro appeared on iMovie, Image Capture, and GoPro Quik. Hopefully others on this thread have similar results!

Tourist

[ New ]

So what happens to those of us who own the hero 8 and use quick ?

Hiker

[ New ]

Well, what happens is that the GPS data from the Hero8 doesn't work with Quik and GoPro has stopped supporting Quik.

Tourist

[ New ]

In other words, you're on your own.