Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Hero 8 Black - GPS data is present in files, but apps say it isn't and won't display gauges

Hi,

I've recently got a Hero 8 Black. I thought I'd try out the GPS. I have windows Quik version 2.7.0.945 and the camera is on version 1.20. I downloaded the video files using Quik on the desktop. The "Adjust Gauges" icon appears at the bottom of the video playback, however all I get is "No gps data". I've also tried the stickers from within the iPhone GoPro app, but they have "GPS only" over them and won't let me add stickers. I've tried this in the iPhone Quick app, added a speedo, but it just shows XX no data.

To ensure the files do have GPS data I used a third party online tool, and was able to see the GPS traces, speed etc, so I know the data is in the file, just for some reason none of the GoPro apps are working with it.

Thank you,

David

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 Black - GPS data is present in files, but apps say it isn't and won't display gauges

[ Edited ]

I've finally managed to get the GPS traces to work! Two key ingredients:

- The GPS trace quality needed to be high enough (I took videos at Antur Stiniog, with acres of open, clear sky).

- You need a Hero8BlackGPMF.xml file in C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\DataProfiles\

I created the GPMF file myself, based on the previous same files in the folder. (edit) I tried to attach the file, but only jpg, gif, png are supported...

To create your own file copy Hero7BlackGPMF.xml, rename to Hero8BlackGPMF.xml, then inside the file, replace all instances of "Hero7" with "HERO8" (probably case is important).

So if you want GPS data to work for your Hero 8 Black in Quik on windows:

- Create Hero8BlackGPMF.xml inside C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\DataProfiles\

- Make sure you have a very good quality GPS trace and the above file, otherwise the app will just claim no GPS data was found. (It would be nice if the app told you a trace was found, but not good enough quality).

- View video in Quik. Click on the Gauges icon at the bottom, and you should now get the option to add traces.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 Black - GPS data is present in files, but apps say it isn't and won't display gauges

Bump...I have the same problem.

Highlighted
Hiker

FYI, I tried formatting the memory card and factory resetting the camera. However this made no difference. I did however get one video to display gauges on the iPhone within the GoPro app, but the same video isn't displaying gauges on the desktop app.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @madmbker @niklasv3582

We have received reports regarding GPS on Quik for desktop.
This has been reported to the team and they are working on it.
In the mean time, you may use the GoPro app or Quik for mobile to overlay telemetry.
Other users also suggest RaceRender or Dashware.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi @aragon1006 . Thanks for the reply.

In case it's any help to the dev team I've been looking into it some more. I noticed in the Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\DataProfiles folder, there isn't a "Hero8BlackGPMF.xml" file. I attempted to create one based on the previous ones. The file appears to be parsed on load of the gopro quik app (procmon.exe helps there :) ), however it still didn't help.

I imagine it should be a straightforward fix (I work in software dev) so looking forward to it being sorted :D. What is curious is why the mobile phone app doesn't seem to work for most of the videos even though they also have GPS data in them - may be relevant as to why the desktop app isn't working?

In the meantime I've tried both Dashware and RaceRender, both of them are more complex than Quik, however RaceRender seemed quickest / easiest to get a reasonable overlay working.

Thank you,

David

Highlighted
Hiker

Good spot @madmbker !

Highlighted
Hiker

@aragon1006  Olá, eu não consigo ter acesso aos medidores de gps no Quik desktop, nem no Android!!! Não consigo também na App , alguma solução para a App?

Highlighted
Tourist

Exact same problem, GPS marker is white not grey.  GoPro needs to push firmware/SW updates ASAP to solve this.

All I am getting is:

XX
NO DATA