Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 8 Black - GPS data is present in files, but apps say it isn't and won't display gauges

Hi @estwickg26066

Currently, Quik for desktop doesn’t support camera firmware updates or telemetry gauges for your HERO8 Black camera. We are focusing on adding this functionality to our latest GoPro Desktop application in the near future, but in the meantime, the GoPro App on iOS and Android can both update your camera and also add telemetry gauges as well.

Our apologies for any inconvenience in the meantime. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 Black - GPS data is present in files, but apps say it isn't and won't display gauges

A GoPro 8 está muito estranha!! Com a gopro 7 conseguia ter o GPS on dentro de casa, com a gopro 8 na rua é dificil conseguir gps on e ter telemetria!!!!!!! E acho muito mau, estar a levar tanto tempo a atualizar o Quik desktop, quando a Gopro 8 já foi lançada á algum tempo....

Highlighted
Hiker

@aragon1006 

what about telemetry in the android app? even i download files to my mobile (android 10, latest sw releases, no root or bloatware) i have no option to display telemetry data....   gps is on for sure

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi Ej @aragon1006

If you see my “solution” post to this thread you’ll see I have managed to get gauges working for my hero8. It was a single GPMF file that needed adding to get Hero 8 support working. It’s such a simple change why can’t the dev team simply update the app to include this file? It would also help end users if the app gave more useful message such as “gps data quality too low” not “no gps data”. I work in software development and shocked to see this issue mentioned time and time again. If I was working on this software I would have it fixed in way less than a day, with more useful error messages.

Is there any way to speak directly with the development team (assuming more than just one programmer..)? I feel like the software team are either overrun sorting other issues, are oblivious to these forum posts, or simply stopped caring about getting the best quality software.

Thank you

David
Highlighted
Tourist

I have tried the recommend solution but still no luck.  I have tried 2 PC's and search and replace from Hero7 to Hero8 and to HERO8 in the Hero8BlackGPMF.xml file.  still does not work.

Highlighted
Tourist

Well figured out that you need to remove the current media and rescan for the gauges to start working.  Thanks again for the fix!!!

Highlighted
Nomad

@estwickg26066 To clarify, the telemetry extractor does not introduce inaccuracies, it just extracts the data present in the camera. If the data is inaccurate, it's because the camera was not linked to enough satellites when the recording happened

Highlighted
Hiker

O que é estranho é que com a Hero7 nunca tive problemas com satélites e GPS, até dentro de casa conseguia ter GPS on, com a Hero8 nem fora de casa nem dentro de casa!!! Estou realmente desiludido com a Hero8...