Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 Black - GPS data is present in files, but apps say it isn't and won't display gauges

@kajuna cheers for that, really handy info :). The mention of GPS quality potentially being the cause of traces not being available sounds like a possible reason for the mobile app only giving traces for some of the videos. Obviously it looks like the Windows app needs to be updated to support Hero 8 gps.

@aragon1006 I think it would be useful for the apps to say "GPS data found, but too poor quality to provide gauges" as this would be far less confusing to an end user, perhaps even giving the user the option of still using the data? Can this suggestion be passed onto the dev team.

Thank you!

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 Black - GPS data is present in files, but apps say it isn't and won't display gauges

@kajuna I read this "https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

But I had Hero 7 black, and in same condition and the same place 7 Black works and Hero 8 doesn´t!!

Highlighted
Nomad

@ricardoc8871 If you're using Quik for desktop, Hero8 is not supported yet (for all we know). If you're using a different software, GPS signal is very sensitive to even small things: the way you moount it, how much time since you turned it on... and even some models and units behave differently. I can't help without more information. Did you try reviewing the data of your Hero8 files in the Telemetry Extractor?

Highlighted
Tourist

Waohhhhhh wait a second, what????  GP delivered the 8 to users like ourselves that are going to put it through our whole testing procedures....but they didn't include the GPS/telemetry data? Come on GoPro, that's pretty bad, PLEASE don't turn into DJI.  Hoping for a firmware/SW update within 24 hours.

By the way, we are GoPro Plus members, you really want us paying another service to get telemetry data?? Naw, you guys are way better than that.  Looking forward to my update his week and putting this behind us.

Cheers,

KP

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

I've finally managed to get the GPS traces to work! Two key ingredients:

- The GPS trace quality needed to be high enough (I took videos at Antur Stiniog, with acres of open, clear sky).

- You need a Hero8BlackGPMF.xml file in C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\DataProfiles\

I created the GPMF file myself, based on the previous same files in the folder. (edit) I tried to attach the file, but only jpg, gif, png are supported...

To create your own file copy Hero7BlackGPMF.xml, rename to Hero8BlackGPMF.xml, then inside the file, replace all instances of "Hero7" with "HERO8" (probably case is important).

So if you want GPS data to work for your Hero 8 Black in Quik on windows:

- Create Hero8BlackGPMF.xml inside C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\DataProfiles\

- Make sure you have a very good quality GPS trace and the above file, otherwise the app will just claim no GPS data was found. (It would be nice if the app told you a trace was found, but not good enough quality).

- View video in Quik. Click on the Gauges icon at the bottom, and you should now get the option to add traces.

Highlighted
Hiker

Continuo sem conseguir usar os gauges, não consigo no Android e não consigo no Quick desktop...
Highlighted
Nomad

@ricardoc8871 do you get a GPS fix (white GPS icon) before recording?

Have you checked if the GPS data is in your video files with this tool? https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

Highlighted
Hiker

@kajuna  sim, o GPS estava on!! Usei a Gopro 8 no mesmo sitio onde usei a minha antiga gopro 7 , e os gauges trabalhavam na gopro 7 no android e no Desktop, e a gopro 8 nas mesmas condições não trabalha no android e não trabalha no desktop.... Deixa-me chateado ter feito um upgrade de gopro e não consigo ter a facilidade de uso como tinha com a gopro7...