Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 Black - GPS data is present in files, but apps say it isn't and won't display gauges

[ New ]

Here is the file [download] and also this is the video i made for macOS. But it still same. After you put the file inside the folder, you need to remove the folder inside gopro quik. Close the application & reopen back. Then add back the folder. You will see it sync the data. If you GPS signal is strong, you can add the gauges.

here is the video. https://youtu.be/VESFQYzbYo4

A little bit update for Catalina OSx. Thanks for @John Baxendale for helping me.This tutorial only working with GoPro Hero 8 Black with Firmware V1.20 only.I...
Tourist

Re: Hero 8 Black - GPS data is present in files, but apps say it isn't and won't display gauges

[ New ]

Ciao,

prima di tutto grazie per il tuo suggerimento!

Ho creato il file GPMF in C: \ Programmi \ GoPro \ GoPro Desktop App \ telemetrydata \ DataProfiles \.

L'ho rinominato Hero8BlackGPMF.xml partendo da Hero7BlackGPMF.xml ed sostituito tutte le istanze Hero7 con HERO8.

Ho creato dei nuovi video, aspettando un minuto dopo che la camera aveva agganciato il segnale gps. Li ho analizzati su goprotelemetryextractor.com e ci sono i dati gps. Li ho importati sul pc utilizzando Quick ma ancora ricevo il messaggio "Nessun Dato GPS"!!!

Ho utilizzato il blocco note di windows per modificare il file xml, ho sbagliato?

Qualche suggerimento?

Grazie mille!!!

@GoPro GoPro prevede di aggiornare a breve le proprie applicazioni per rendere disponibili i dati gps anche ai possessori di Hero 8???

Nomad

[ New ]

@lcv69 If you updated your camera to v1.50 this trick won't work. GoPro pushed this update last week, and it breaks gauges compatibility even more. If you can downgrade to v1.20, I think you should be fine.

Tourist

[ New ]
Grazie!
Tourist

[ New ]

eso deberian hacer los señores de GOPRO# penoso la verdad una camara de 400 euros y con estas tonterias... aun la devuelvo ....

Nomad

[ New ]
Ok. I solved the problem. You can now enable telemetry gauges for any firmware of Hero8, Max (and previous cameras). Here's the tutorial:
https://youtu.be/nY4LfVFViT0

And the app: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/#fix
Hiker

[ New ]
Try to downgrade the firmware on your GoPro. I also facing the same problem before this.

Here is the step how to downgrade the firmware on GoPro Hero 8 Black ONLY!!

https://youtu.be/--7pe3l7MPU
Tourist

[ New ]
THANKS!!!!
Hiker

[ New ]

And you also need to do some tweak on the file inside gopro folder. But I already make it simple, you can run a script, just one click. 

For windows user you can follow this tutorial : https://youtu.be/klSwlsFjytE

For macOS user , you can follow this tutorial : https://youtu.be/VESFQYzbYo4

But, please make sure that you are using firmware version 1.20. If you already upgrade to the latest version, you need to downgrade it. Maybe after gopro release the stable version, then you can upgrade & test. 

For downgrade firmware tutorial, you can follow this : https://youtu.be/--7pe3l7MPU

**This firmware file is only for GoPro Hero 8 Black. Please take note that.

Any question you may ask me at my youtube or email to me.

For any latest information about GoPro Hero 8, i will update it on my youtube. Dont forget to subscribe.

Rgd,

Kaki Godek, MY

Currently now the latest firmware version for GoPro Hero 8 is 1.50 (Dec 2019). But, i have problem with this version. It made me unable to use telemetry data...
If you have enabled gps on your GoPro but still cannot enable telemetrics in Quick then you need to watch this video!GoPro Hero 8 GPS not working? Quick Fix ...
A little bit update for Catalina OSx. Thanks for @John Baxendale for helping me.This tutorial only working with GoPro Hero 8 Black with Firmware V1.20 only.I...
Hiker

[ New ]

I can rename Hero8BlackGPMF.xml, but I can't replay all Hero7 to Hero8 even though I have administrator power.

How can I replace to Hero8 from Hero7 inside the file?

Hiker

[ New ]
I think you need to check folder permission on your computer. Or maybe you can check my video and try to run my script.
Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks!!!
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi,

I tried to test hero8 and Quik step by step and finally I test ok!!  Desktop for win10, iOS, Andriod are all OK!!

But only one it's not well that when I play video in Android, video playing is not smoothly!!

However, thanks all to help me.

Sightseer

[ New ]

habe das selbe problem mit der 8 BLACK wann kommt endlich die Lösung habe sie eigentlich nur wegen der gps funktion gekauft ..... und wie es aussieht haben sehr viele das problem.  wenn ich mir ein qualitäts produkt kaufe ,erwarte ich mir auch diese .

Sightseer

[ New ]

Alguma coisa que podemos fazer no mac?

Obrigado

Nomad

[ New ]

I think on mac you have the same options as in Windows:

1- Edit on mobile

2- Wait for GoPro to fix the issue

3- Use alternative software (Virb Edit, After Effects...)

4- Downgrade the camera to old firmware and do the xml hack to Quik

5- Fix the GPS data in your videos with the GPS Quick Fix app

Tourist

[ New ]

Was hoping video recorded with the newest firmware (1.6) would have gps gauges available in the desktop Quik but it's still not working. Also tried the modified xml file - didn't work either.

Back to Garmin app for Gopro video....ridiculous!

Hiker

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]

Yes, GoPro doesn't modify GPS working in QUIK when firmware update to 1.6. Just I downgrade to 1.2!!
Offical said QUIK incompatible hero 8.  But I think QUIK's bugs!

Hiker

[ New ]

It just only a bug(maybe). try this 

https://kakigodek.my/wp/2020/01/23/fix-no-gps-data-on-gopro-hero-8-black-windows/
it just missing a file. Follow this tutorial and it will create the file to you.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi, I tried and failed.  Several months ago, I followed the video to modify QUIK(Hero 8 fw1.2) andGPS  appeared. Today I updated fw to 1.6. It was not work.

Hiker

[ New ]
What do i know for this time, the tutorial is just compatible with old version firmware only. If you need & have to use the GPS sticker, just downgrade it to old firmware version, or else you can upgrade it to the latest one.
Sightseer

[ New ]

i tried the kakigodek method and works perfect for me! thank you very much ;)

see here the method:

https://kakigodek.my/wp/2020/01/23/fix-no-gps-data-on-gopro-hero-8-black-windows/

Hiker

[ New ]

..does somone tried this already with 1.60? 

Sightseer

[ New ]
i tried with the 1.60 but doesnt work, only with the downgrade to 1.20 i can used the gps in quick
Nomad

[ New ]

The data format changed between 1.20 and 1.50, so the current Quik version won't be able to read anything with the latest firmwares (and will even have problems with the old ones). You can't have the benefits of the newer firmwares and the gauges in Quik at the same time. Unless you modify your video data or use alternative software.

Tourist

[ New ]

es increible que con el tiempo que ya ha pasado y ninguna puta solucion de software en la puta camara de 400 euros y pasan los meses y ahora ni me detecta el gps ni en el mobil con la ultima de las actualizaciones ,,,, muy bien gopro sigan asi 

Tourist

[ New ]

Quik desktop hasn't been updated since 2018... What a crap of software support for a nice quality camera. Very disapointed with my first gopro...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

Our team is aware of this issue, and we regret any inconvenience this may cause. We currently do not have a solution to resolve the problem, unfortunately, but as a workaround, I would personally advise trying another video editing application like DaVinci Resolve (Free)/ RaceRender for GPS overlay. You can utilize any extensive editing application that will take advantage of your GoPro footage.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi aragon1006. That defeats my whole pourpouse of buying a GoPro.. I don't have the time to learn to use DaVinci resolve, or RaceRender... Right now I'm using the mobile app, but I have some problems.. The video files are splitted, how can I join them before adding the gps overlay (so the gps map is complete)??

Hiker

[ New ]

What i want is a software to easily extract telemetry data and display it on the footage.

Something that would be awsome and restore my faith in GoPro is if GoPro released a plugin for telemetry data in DaVinci Resolve!

Hiker

[ New ]

really?
what a mess? after month thats all from you gopro?

you f*** up more that every other "startup" ever... sorry about that but hopefully you fail

- timelaps recording... no gps
- quick capture recording no gps
- totally shut down gps chip when switch off the cam, but "standby" for remote power on over bt and wifi
- adding "not supported" disclaimer after launch gp8 for software
- no 5ghz wifi connection (iphone and android) btw. non rooted no bloatware
- mobile software chrashes
....and so on...

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi madmbker

I have this problem with my hero 7, the data is there but will not show up on Quik, yet my hero 5 has no problems and all the data gets shown. I have tried doing what you have suggested but using my hero5 file and changing it to 7 but this did not work.

Is there anything you could suggest, its driving me mad.

Tourist

[ New ]

sigue soñando amigo, estos de gopro ni se molestan ... ultima gopro que compro ...

Hiker

[ New ]

That is simply a very poor support from GoPro team.

How can you be conscient of the issue, and not having released a fix for a camera that is on the market since more than 6 months (meaning you're already working on the next GoPro) ???

This is soooooooooooooooo frustrating to have to loose our time to try to find tricks like downgrading the firmware (ugh !) or creating ourselves some XML files, or being left with having to pay for an external SW to fix the data (proving that this is totally doable !).

I'm more than annoyed by these excuses, we pay this thing a fortune and can not use the features.

Oh yes I forgot : I can maybe try it on the mobile App ? what a joke ! who is able to do decent video management on a mobile phone ??

Need a commitment from GoPro, not excuses, just give us a date and make it happen please.

Thanks for support

Marc

Hiker

[ New ]

word!

i'm gonna grab the new dji action unless release....

gopro **bleep**ed up...  and even... .i was NEVER able to get a connection over wifi with 5ghz.... just for the guys who really recommend to edit videos on mobiles...  hahaha