Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

Hero 8 Black - GPS data is present in files, but apps say it isn't and won't display gauges

[ New ]

Hi,

I've recently got a Hero 8 Black. I thought I'd try out the GPS. I have windows Quik version 2.7.0.945 and the camera is on version 1.20. I downloaded the video files using Quik on the desktop. The "Adjust Gauges" icon appears at the bottom of the video playback, however all I get is "No gps data". I've also tried the stickers from within the iPhone GoPro app, but they have "GPS only" over them and won't let me add stickers. I've tried this in the iPhone Quick app, added a speedo, but it just shows XX no data.

To ensure the files do have GPS data I used a third party online tool, and was able to see the GPS traces, speed etc, so I know the data is in the file, just for some reason none of the GoPro apps are working with it.

Thank you,

David

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 Black - GPS data is present in files, but apps say it isn't and won't display gauges

[ New ]

I've finally managed to get the GPS traces to work! Two key ingredients:

- The GPS trace quality needed to be high enough (I took videos at Antur Stiniog, with acres of open, clear sky).

- You need a Hero8BlackGPMF.xml file in C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\DataProfiles\

I created the GPMF file myself, based on the previous same files in the folder. (edit) I tried to attach the file, but only jpg, gif, png are supported...

To create your own file copy Hero7BlackGPMF.xml, rename to Hero8BlackGPMF.xml, then inside the file, replace all instances of "Hero7" with "HERO8" (probably case is important).

So if you want GPS data to work for your Hero 8 Black in Quik on windows:

- Create Hero8BlackGPMF.xml inside C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\DataProfiles\

- Make sure you have a very good quality GPS trace and the above file, otherwise the app will just claim no GPS data was found. (It would be nice if the app told you a trace was found, but not good enough quality).

- View video in Quik. Click on the Gauges icon at the bottom, and you should now get the option to add traces.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 Black - GPS data is present in files, but apps say it isn't and won't display gauges

[ New ]

Bump...I have the same problem.

Hiker

[ New ]

FYI, I tried formatting the memory card and factory resetting the camera. However this made no difference. I did however get one video to display gauges on the iPhone within the GoPro app, but the same video isn't displaying gauges on the desktop app.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @madmbker @niklasv3582

We have received reports regarding GPS on Quik for desktop.
This has been reported to the team and they are working on it.
In the mean time, you may use the GoPro app or Quik for mobile to overlay telemetry.
Other users also suggest RaceRender or Dashware.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006 . Thanks for the reply.

In case it's any help to the dev team I've been looking into it some more. I noticed in the Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\DataProfiles folder, there isn't a "Hero8BlackGPMF.xml" file. I attempted to create one based on the previous ones. The file appears to be parsed on load of the gopro quik app (procmon.exe helps there :) ), however it still didn't help.

I imagine it should be a straightforward fix (I work in software dev) so looking forward to it being sorted :D. What is curious is why the mobile phone app doesn't seem to work for most of the videos even though they also have GPS data in them - may be relevant as to why the desktop app isn't working?

In the meantime I've tried both Dashware and RaceRender, both of them are more complex than Quik, however RaceRender seemed quickest / easiest to get a reasonable overlay working.

Thank you,

David

Hiker

[ New ]

Good spot @madmbker !

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006  Olá, eu não consigo ter acesso aos medidores de gps no Quik desktop, nem no Android!!! Não consigo também na App , alguma solução para a App?

Tourist

[ New ]

Exact same problem, GPS marker is white not grey.  GoPro needs to push firmware/SW updates ASAP to solve this.

All I am getting is:

XX
NO DATA

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the feedback, @ricardoc8871 and @kapturedm. Sorry to hear that you are not able to get the GPS data displayed using the stickers. We will pass this along to the team. May we know which phone model you are using and which OS they are running on? If you can post a screenshot of the error message that you get on the app, that would be greatly helpful. We hope to hear back from you. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya  My phone is Samsung S9+ 

74439097_1349303751914058_3169710530445180928_n.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya gopro version 01.20

Quik desktop version v2.7.0

Tourist

[ New ]

Guys, I'm not getting anything, and I have quite some experience with editing and SW in general.  It could be me, but I highly doubt it.  I just straight up don't have the option for GPS data in the Desktop or App mode, and the times that I do, it just says XX/NO DATA if I attempt to display.  Here are some screenshots, My Hero8 Black in on version 1.20.

IMG_1894.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

IMG_1895.jpg
Nomad

[ New ]
Hey guys. We created a FAQ post that answers some of these questions here https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

Also, if you want to quickly check the GPS data of your videos and evaluate its quality, you can use this online tool https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

You can also export the data to After Effects, Google Earth and other software
Hiker

[ New ]

@kajuna cheers for that, really handy info :). The mention of GPS quality potentially being the cause of traces not being available sounds like a possible reason for the mobile app only giving traces for some of the videos. Obviously it looks like the Windows app needs to be updated to support Hero 8 gps.

@aragon1006 I think it would be useful for the apps to say "GPS data found, but too poor quality to provide gauges" as this would be far less confusing to an end user, perhaps even giving the user the option of still using the data? Can this suggestion be passed onto the dev team.

Thank you!

Hiker

[ New ]

@kajuna I read this "https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

But I had Hero 7 black, and in same condition and the same place 7 Black works and Hero 8 doesn´t!!

Nomad

[ New ]

@ricardoc8871 If you're using Quik for desktop, Hero8 is not supported yet (for all we know). If you're using a different software, GPS signal is very sensitive to even small things: the way you moount it, how much time since you turned it on... and even some models and units behave differently. I can't help without more information. Did you try reviewing the data of your Hero8 files in the Telemetry Extractor?

Tourist

[ New ]

Waohhhhhh wait a second, what????  GP delivered the 8 to users like ourselves that are going to put it through our whole testing procedures....but they didn't include the GPS/telemetry data? Come on GoPro, that's pretty bad, PLEASE don't turn into DJI.  Hoping for a firmware/SW update within 24 hours.

By the way, we are GoPro Plus members, you really want us paying another service to get telemetry data?? Naw, you guys are way better than that.  Looking forward to my update his week and putting this behind us.

Cheers,

KP

Hiker

[ New ]

I've finally managed to get the GPS traces to work! Two key ingredients:

- The GPS trace quality needed to be high enough (I took videos at Antur Stiniog, with acres of open, clear sky).

- You need a Hero8BlackGPMF.xml file in C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\DataProfiles\

I created the GPMF file myself, based on the previous same files in the folder. (edit) I tried to attach the file, but only jpg, gif, png are supported...

To create your own file copy Hero7BlackGPMF.xml, rename to Hero8BlackGPMF.xml, then inside the file, replace all instances of "Hero7" with "HERO8" (probably case is important).

So if you want GPS data to work for your Hero 8 Black in Quik on windows:

- Create Hero8BlackGPMF.xml inside C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\DataProfiles\

- Make sure you have a very good quality GPS trace and the above file, otherwise the app will just claim no GPS data was found. (It would be nice if the app told you a trace was found, but not good enough quality).

- View video in Quik. Click on the Gauges icon at the bottom, and you should now get the option to add traces.

Hiker

[ New ]
Continuo sem conseguir usar os gauges, não consigo no Android e não consigo no Quick desktop...
Nomad

[ New ]

@ricardoc8871 do you get a GPS fix (white GPS icon) before recording?

Have you checked if the GPS data is in your video files with this tool? https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

Hiker

[ New ]

@kajuna  sim, o GPS estava on!! Usei a Gopro 8 no mesmo sitio onde usei a minha antiga gopro 7 , e os gauges trabalhavam na gopro 7 no android e no Desktop, e a gopro 8 nas mesmas condições não trabalha no android e não trabalha no desktop.... Deixa-me chateado ter feito um upgrade de gopro e não consigo ter a facilidade de uso como tinha com a gopro7...

Nomad

[ New ]

If the GPS icon was white and you do not get GPS data here https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free

You might have a faulty unit. I recommend testing again with a new video and making sure the GPS icon is white for one minute before hitting record. If still nothing, I would say your unit could by faulty. Contact support

Hiker

[ New ]

@kajuna  quando faço upload do video aqui https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free, é isto que aparece!! Quer dizer que tem dados de GPS? O icone de GPS estava branco.

74784753_2350508251857693_5860533543121190912_n.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

FYI, for some reason, the GPS/telemetry/etc data will show up on Quik on my iPad.  As for everything else (desktop, phone), we are still stuck at NOTHING, which is definitely unacceptable.  I've always been an early adopter, and I HATE to say this, but this feels DJI-ish, and I HATE putting GoPro and DJI in the same sentence.

Nomad

[ New ]
@ricardoc8871 Yes, you have GPS data. Click on GPS and then on Graph or View Map to see it
Hiker

[ New ]

@ricardoc8871 see my post earlier about creating the Hero8blackGPMF.xml file. It wasn't working for me on desktop until I created that file. There may be a similar thing you can do on Android.

Hiker

[ New ]
@kajuna então se tenho dados GPS, porque é que não trabalha no desktop e no android, como acontecia com a Gopro 7??? Supostamente os usuários da Gopro 8 não deveriam andar com estes problemas de não conseguir usar os medidores, porquem não somos todos entendidos em informática, e gostavamos de usar a gopro de forma fácil...
Nomad

[ New ]
The desktop problem is known and we are waiting for a fix. See here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

On Android, it's more complicated. It can depend on the quality of the signal, which depends on many thing (like the way you mount the camera... hard to tell)
Hiker

[ New ]
@kajuna mas é muito estranho, porque se a gopro 7 funcionava perfeitamente, a Gopro 8 nas mesmas condições não funciona, isso é muito estranho....
Nomad

[ New ]

@ricardoc8871 The signal quality depends on many factors. You can send me a Hero7 and a Hero8 file and I can compare the GPS quality for you. You can find my email at the bottom of this page: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com

If the files are too large, you can send me .LRV files that usually are next to the .MP4 files. If you don't have them, you can use the extractor to send me CSV files (Set "GPS Fix" to "Any" and "GPS Precision" to 10000) https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free

Hiker

[ New ]

@kajuna  Podes dar-me o teu email para enviar os arquivos?

Nomad

[ New ]
app@prototyping.barcelona
Nomad

[ New ]

@ricardoc8871 The GPS path of your file looks good, but the "GPS Precision" and "GPS Fix" columns report bad values some times. Filming inside the car you are not guaranteed to get good GPS data. That might be the reason Quik mobile is not showing any data. If your Hero7 recorded better quality data might just be a coincidence, but I could not test that, as the Hero7 file you sent does not contain any metadata (it's a copy, not the original)

Annotation 2019-11-13 003936.jpg

There is also the problem of Quik desktop not being compatible with Hero8 yet, but that has beeen addressed earlier in this post.

Please follow advice from this post to get good GPS data https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

Annotation 2019-11-13 003936.jpg
Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]

Just to add to @kajuna 's post.

I exported the GPS data from two videos of mine using https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free as .CSV format.

I've just checked with Quik, and a video with precision of average around 870 wouldn't allow gauges in Quik. However a video that did work had precision around 126-178. I can only conclude there's some average or max precision set somewhere between 200 and 800, above which gauges won't be allowed in Quik.

You could in theory write a piece of software to modify that precision in the file to force quik to accept semi-garbage GPS lock :D. I'm sure the threshold they've chosen is reasonable, because the video that wouldn't allow gauges was visibly inaccurate (squiggly line where I was walking straight), vs the one that would allow gauges looked perfect. However it would help if the message didn't say "no gps data found" instead something like "Poor GPS lock in data not suitable for gauges".

Also shameless link to a video that had a good GPS lock and would have allowed gauges in Quik, very impressed with the quality of 2.7k 60fps Superview + hypersmooth (protune high bitrate) :D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4abqIrJT50. The video that didn't allow gauges was taken near my house with a few buildings / trees overhead.

Leisurely first run on Meehhh Line, onto Draft and finally the bottom of Y Du (The Black).Filmed on Gopro Hero 8 Black. 2.7k 60fps Superview Hypersmooth.
Hiker

[ New ]

same here.... gopro 8 .... no gauges....  buggy software as it best

Nomad

[ New ]
@madmbker Thanks for the analysis. Tweaking the precision data to trick Quik into accepting the data is a cool idea. It would take some work as it requires modifying binary data and reattaching it to the mp4, but I'll keep the idea in mind. It could be sn addition to the Telemetry Extractor ;-)
Sightseer

[ New ]
Video telemetry is so important to me, I'm beginning to regret buying the Hero 8. The gopro telemetry extractor lite software is so inaccurate, there's no point in using it.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @estwickg26066

Currently, Quik for desktop doesn’t support camera firmware updates or telemetry gauges for your HERO8 Black camera. We are focusing on adding this functionality to our latest GoPro Desktop application in the near future, but in the meantime, the GoPro App on iOS and Android can both update your camera and also add telemetry gauges as well.

Our apologies for any inconvenience in the meantime. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

A GoPro 8 está muito estranha!! Com a gopro 7 conseguia ter o GPS on dentro de casa, com a gopro 8 na rua é dificil conseguir gps on e ter telemetria!!!!!!! E acho muito mau, estar a levar tanto tempo a atualizar o Quik desktop, quando a Gopro 8 já foi lançada á algum tempo....

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

what about telemetry in the android app? even i download files to my mobile (android 10, latest sw releases, no root or bloatware) i have no option to display telemetry data....   gps is on for sure

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi Ej @aragon1006

If you see my “solution” post to this thread you’ll see I have managed to get gauges working for my hero8. It was a single GPMF file that needed adding to get Hero 8 support working. It’s such a simple change why can’t the dev team simply update the app to include this file? It would also help end users if the app gave more useful message such as “gps data quality too low” not “no gps data”. I work in software development and shocked to see this issue mentioned time and time again. If I was working on this software I would have it fixed in way less than a day, with more useful error messages.

Is there any way to speak directly with the development team (assuming more than just one programmer..)? I feel like the software team are either overrun sorting other issues, are oblivious to these forum posts, or simply stopped caring about getting the best quality software.

Thank you

David
Tourist

[ New ]

I have tried the recommend solution but still no luck.  I have tried 2 PC's and search and replace from Hero7 to Hero8 and to HERO8 in the Hero8BlackGPMF.xml file.  still does not work.

Tourist

[ New ]

Well figured out that you need to remove the current media and rescan for the gauges to start working.  Thanks again for the fix!!!

Nomad

[ New ]

@estwickg26066 To clarify, the telemetry extractor does not introduce inaccuracies, it just extracts the data present in the camera. If the data is inaccurate, it's because the camera was not linked to enough satellites when the recording happened

Hiker

[ New ]
O que é estranho é que com a Hero7 nunca tive problemas com satélites e GPS, até dentro de casa conseguia ter GPS on, com a Hero8 nem fora de casa nem dentro de casa!!! Estou realmente desiludido com a Hero8...
Sightseer

[ New ]

Does anyone have an example file, I don't have a 7 so don't have a file to try and copy

Tourist

[ New ]

buenas noches a todos... yo tuve que cambiar ya una gopro hero 8 black pensando que era fallo de la camara es decir estuve 2 semanas sin camara por culpa del desarollo de la camara ... no se como no solucionan esto siendo una marca como gopro ... sin datos gps desde el pc y luego en el mobil puedes hacer de todo con los datos gps pero en el quick de escritorio nada de nada solo aparece que active el gps...