Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Hero 5 default mode to camera

Hi , 

Just got my hero 5 , Using Capture App Android I changed the default mode to be "camera" , however when pushing the shutter it always starts recording video. Is this function broken or am I misunderstanding the concept.

Thanks,

JJ

Explorer

Re: Hero 5 default mode to camera

You should be able to set the default to open in the mode you want. Are you on the latest firmware update? Please do the manual update for your camera (even if you are on the latest firmware).
Tourist

Daniel, 

Thanks for the reply but It didnt work by manually upgrading the firmware neither, I followed this link:

https://gopro.com/support/product-update/register-camera 

- Once upgraded I connected it to Quick and checked that version I am now running is 1.55

- Connected using Capture app in my phone and it shows default mode to Photo.

- If I turn off the camera (keeping pressed the right mode button) , then hit the shutter ( the top red button ) It starts to record a video by default. The only way to start the photo mode is to hit the mode button and then once the camera powers on hit the shutter to take a photo.

The manual : https://gopro.com/content/dam/help/hero5-black/manuals/HERO5Black_UM_ENG_REVB_Web.pdf says:

'Sets the capture mode that your GoPro defaults to when powering up. The options are Video (default), Time Lapse Video, Video + Photo, Looping, Photo, Night, Burst, Time Lapse Photo, and Night Lapse Photo. Note: This setting does not affect QuikCapture"

Which is NOT true...any clue?

Thanks for the help Daniel

JJ

Explorer

Sorry JJ, I'm not sure why your camera is behaving like this. Hopefully a GoPro moderator will jump into this post and spread some light on this. For now, I suggest you contact GoPro Customer Service via email. https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus
Hiker

I'm having this exact same problem!  I got the cam a few weeks ago and updated the firmware before ever using it and when I went riding last Saturday I had video with no photos!  

This has to be a software error.

•------------my post from another thread:

What I'm finding odd is if the cam's default setting is vid/photo and you press the shutter button it will only shoot video.  

The only way I can get it to actually function in the default vid/photo mode is to turn it on with the mode button  THEN  press the shutter button.  

To me this completely defeats the purpose of having a default mode and makes it nearly impossible to do that while riding....as it is there's a delay hitting just the shutter button.

@loyalwave15273 wrote:

Daniel, 

Thanks for the reply but It didnt work by manually upgrading the firmware neither, I followed this link:

https://gopro.com/support/product-update/register-camera 

- Once upgraded I connected it to Quick and checked that version I am now running is 1.55

- Connected using Capture app in my phone and it shows default mode to Photo.

- If I turn off the camera (keeping pressed the right mode button) , then hit the shutter ( the top red button ) It starts to record a video by default. The only way to start the photo mode is to hit the mode button and then once the camera powers on hit the shutter to take a photo.

The manual : https://gopro.com/content/dam/help/hero5-black/manuals/HERO5Black_UM_ENG_REVB_Web.pdf says:

'Sets the capture mode that your GoPro defaults to when powering up. The options are Video (default), Time Lapse Video, Video + Photo, Looping, Photo, Night, Burst, Time Lapse Photo, and Night Lapse Photo. Note: This setting does not affect QuikCapture"

Which is NOT true...any clue?

Thanks for the help Daniel

JJ

Hiker

It looks like there are only two options that work with the shutter button or as they call it "QUIKCAPTURE".  On page 24 in the manual it shows: "CAPTURING VIDEO WITH QUIKCAPTURE"  and  "CAPTURING TIME LAPSE PHOTOS WITH QUIKCAPTURE", so for me it looks ike I'm SOL for video with photos from that quick feature

For your issue it looks like you should be able to get photos to work from pressing the shutter button (quick capture).  Did you try doig this from the camera and not the mobile capture app??

- - - - - - - -

CAPTURING TIME LAPSE PHOTOS WITH QUIKCAPTURE

In addition to showing how a scene changes over time, time lapse photos are also useful for capturing a series of photos to be sure you get the shot you want.

1. With the camera powered off, press and hold the Shutter button [3 seconds] until capture begins.

Your camera powers on, beeps several times, and automatically
begins capturing time lapse photos. The camera status lights blink once for each photo captured.

2. To stop capturing, press the Shutter button again.
The camera stops recording, beeps several times, and automatically powers off to maximize battery life.

To capture other types of photos or time lapse content, see Capturing Video and Photos (page 24).

TURNING QUIKCAPTURE OFF

QuikCapture is on by default, but you can turn it off, if needed. 1. From the main screen, swipe down.
2. Tap Preferences > QuikCapture.
3. Tap Off.

IMG_5174.JPG

Sightseer

I am having the exact same problem. Riding my motorcycle it is impossible to know which mode I am in. What usually happens is that I haveit in video mode and do not know it.

Tourist

Having the same problem, manually updated twice.