Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hero 5 black, some data in file cannot be read or written

Hello, I have been trying to upload my Go Pro Hero 5 black videos and photos on to my MAC through iphoto using an SD card reader. When uploading, I can get all the photo files to upload and some of the video files too, but I will get an error message at the end. The message will state for example "Some data in "GoPR1648.mp4" can't be read or written." I will then go in and manually select each video to up load and will be able to get a few more to upload. I am stuck with 4-8 videos that cannot be up loaded.

Info, I have tried/found out:

Go Pro Hero 5 black

2 scan disk cards (extreme 64 and extreme plus 64) and both will do the same thing to a few files

the cards were formated in the camera prior to use

videos were all recorded in 2.7k (30fps I believe, no change or variation in the format)

moving/copying files directly through finder and by passing iphoto - same result and load will abort

copying the usb desktop icons file directly to another desktop file

files will play on the camera and from the sd card reader on computer (not transfered) but will play about 15 seconds and freeze but audio will continue, if you pause and drag file further into the video and then back, press play, the video will continue playing through the frozen screen frame with audio, some times it will freeze again where this sequence will need to be done again.

& many other things I'm sure Im forgetting

I have been reading support fourms and searching with no results, unfortunately I am at wits ends as there are major life moments on the files (wedding). Please help with any infomation you can, as I dont want to have to result into reformating disks and losing these videos.

Thank you for all your help and support!

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Hero 5 black, some data in file cannot be read or written

@Anonymous - Importing using other apps like iPhoto can actually change the format of the files (mp4 vs m4v). It's best to use Quik for Desktop to import GoPro content to your computer, or move the files directly from the SD card onto a folder on your computer.

If the issue is viewing the videos on your phone using those apps, there are some limitations with the iPhone (and other phones). Here's some additional info on that: https://gopro.com/support/articles/gopro-app-supported-resolutions-for-playback-and-copy

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Sightseer

I'm having the same issue and I'm using the Hero 5 Session.

I am trying to import by dragging files directly to the desktop of my computer and it still isn't working. I believe there is an issue with the actual file while it is being recorded, not an issue with the import.

Any possible explanation?

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@loyalstorm3113 - Just to clarify, you're inserting the SD card into the computer directly using an SD card adapter, right? Then, you're opening the directories on the SD card, finding the GoPro files, and moving them onto your computer's hard drive.

If that's it, are there issues you can see with the files on the SD card (before you move them over). Are the videos mp4 files and the photos jpgs? Are the sizes of the files "normal"? Photos will likely be around 2.3 MB each. Videos will be of varying size, but should be larger than photos in nearly all cases.

Thanks,
Jeff