Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

2018 + Hero 6 + HEVC + h.265 = GoLow... Sneaky way to sell products and do not software support them.. Worse, giving fake advertisment guys that on new Intel processors it's working when it's clearly not working. Disappointed. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @bogdanl547

Quik don't support HEVC files. 

You need a third party software to use/view it. 

Also HEVC needs a device that supports HEVC and a video player that can play HEVC. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Tourist

What's that 3rd party app name? Captured an continent roadtrip and want to put together 6TB of clips(4GB per bank). No hardware problem for me (8th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors with Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics).

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @bogdanl547

You can use VSDC as this application works with HEVC files. You can download it here: http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor/download''

Alternatively, you can use Handbrake to convert your HEVC videos to a resolution which can be played in Quik. This article discusses on how to do it. 

There are other free editing apps that you can explore on, and use. This community thread cites other apps. 

I hope this helps. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi Guys,
Glad I found that Forum and notice I am not the only one in trouble.
I just got a Gopro Hero 6 so I could user the 4k60 and other 1080p240. In the same time i bought a brand new computer so i could edit those video without any problems : Gigabyte Sabre 15 Processeur i7-8750H 8core, 16 Go RAM, SSD 256Go & GTX 1060
I can read the video without any trouble on playback on my computer with any software, but as soon as I import them to quick, the video in hevc show up but when i want to playback them, it lags and plays jerky.

I guess nobody found any solutions ?
Do you guys have good recommandation to use any other software that handle hevc perfectly ?

Thank you all.

Highlighted
Tourist

Understood..as a final result after weeks of trying, I am giving up on all GoPro devices. It's really out of my mind how come in 2018 we are having this issue and support/compatibility conversation - dissapointed.

Thx,

Bogdan

Highlighted
Sightseer

I got the Hero 6 a few days ago and first I thought my processor is the one to blame (i7 3770k) when I tried to play the HEVC media in Quik...but then I tried them in VLC and they played very well.

The difference is: in Quik the CPU load goes up to ~100% (GPU 0%) and it starts lag like hell. When I use VLC the GPU (GTX 1060) load goes up to 30 - 50% and i plays very well.

So I think the problem in my case is, that Quik is using the CPU and not the GPU...I found no setting to change that - is there one hidden somewhere?

If not - why not bringing an update to change that, I think that would help a lot for many people.

Highlighted
GoPro

Great observation @agilestoke45326!

I'll have this raised to the team in charge. Thank you for sharing this.

The option currently available is you can change the preferred graphics processor if you are you are using a setup with multiple graphics cards on a Windows computer. 

Please continue to check our website for more updates.

Regards,

Ej