Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Sightseer

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

This is insane, I have an i7 Kaby Lake too (7700k) and I could play the content just fine. Virtually the same with all of you guys (Compatible procie, Win 10) and could not see HEVC media via Quik. This is getting sad.

Tourist

It's insane that I cannot use the Speed Data in my video because they don't visualize them in Quick, please do something GOPRO!

Tourist

I'm having the same problem with my Hero6. Windows 10, and a 2017 HP running an i7-770 & 16GB. Latest firmware & software.

The Quik software will import HEVCs into a folder, and I can play them just fine using Potplayer, but they do not display in Quik. If I have 3 movie files in a folder, and one of them is an HEVC file, Quik will pretend there are only two files.

Extremely frustrating, particularly as I bought this Hero6 for its 240fps capability. Is there really no solution to this, other than converting with Handbrake? I find it incredulous that Gopro's own software can't handle the output of its own camera. 

Tourist

I think the problem was that Quik for Desktop simpy did not yet support the HEVC files on version 2.5.
I did the update to the newest version 2.5.1 yesterday and after doing a library refresh scan, it all works fine now for me!
Tourist

Wow, I have been searching for at least an hour, hope this helps someone.

Fix is to reinstall HEVC app from microsoft store. I believe last Windows 10 Creator update 1709 (16299.125) broke native HEVC support.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-movies/movies-tv-stopped-working/3...

Uninstall from "Settings-->apps" , it is called "HEVCVideoExtension"

Then it can be reinstalled from the microsoft store:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/p/hevc-video-extension/9n4wgh0z6vhq

After this Quik was able to find and play my HEVC videos.

Hiker

Well, you had me hopeful there for a minute.

Didn't work for me.  Was your problem that you couldn't "Play" HVEC files in Quick, or that they just don't show up in the library at all....

Because for me, they aren't added to the media library at all.  They play just fine on my computer using several other software packages.   I just can't get them to list in Quick.  :(

Still no resolution.  GoPro support is the worst I've dealt with since Frontier Communications....

It's no suprise to me that the company is struggling.  I definitely regret supporting GoPro by buying a Karma drone that is now being discontinuted.   And I'm glad that I learned my lesson and have stayed away from the Fusion.  I went through the forums and saw plenty of unhappy customers also not being helped by GoPro support.

Hopefully someone will buy this company and turn it around....

Tourist

Hey all

New to the gopro community, got a Hero 6 for christmas

So i've really enjoyed the camera so far, but have been mainly using the phone app to play around with my footage. I built a computer awhile back, so I figured I would try to do more and use the Quik Desktop app.

I've downloaded the newest version of the software, and am able to transfer all my files inlcuding the H.265 files (4k 60fps, etc) and the thumbnails pop up,  that all works, but when I play the videos its super laggy and stutters etc. I am currently using an i5-6600k but I'm seriosuly thinking about upgrading to an i7-7700k (currently a good sale at microcenter lol), which supposedly is able to run these files no problem.

My question is really more so in regards to the 7700k actually being able to run the files smoothly. I havent been able to find many people saying it does lol.

Tourist

Hey,

For me without the fix for Windows H265, when I imported my H265 videos Quik software was telling me my pc did not meet the minimum requierements to support playback and was hiding them - even with an i7 kaby-lake processor.

Same as you before I found this workaround I could play the files with at least VLC... 

I think the software is still badly optimized for H265 playback, even with W10 codec fixed when I play those videos it's lags big time and I see CPU struggling. Even the Windows Videos with the fix can playback H265 butter smooth.

I'm just giving up editing this specific format until GoPro fix their stuff.