Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

I'm running a brand new Windows 10 PC with a Core i9 Processor.  I bought this PC specifically to support the newer HEVC encoded files by the GoPro 6.

When I plug in my camera, Quick recognizes that there is media to import, I see it copy the files, and when complete it displays a warning about HEVC files, and that while they will import into Quick and show up in the Media section, they may have problems with playback.

So far so good.  I got that message on my older PC.  And indeed, on my OLD pc the media showed up in the media section with a question mark, and playback was super crappy.  

On my NEW pc, after the files are imported, they do NOT show up in the media section.  Only older h.264 encoded files show up.

They do however get imported to disk, and the playback of the files is butter smooth and perfect.  As should be expected on a brand new high end PC.

This is what GoPro support told me.  Then proceeded to close my case.

"Thank you for the response. Please do not get me wrong, I understand that your PC is brand new and that it is almost compatible with Quik for Desktop. On the other hand, the main issue is the compatibility of the computer's specs with Quik for Desktop. 

As I have mentioned, while Windows 10 / macOS High Sierra supports HEVC, your computer must use a newer processor to play those files smoothly. Quik for Desktop will still copy HEVC files to your computer, but those files may struggle to play back. In general, computers manufactured before 2016 may not handle HEVC files well. 

System Model: Alienware Area-51 R4 was manufactured late 2016 and this could be the reason why it is not meeting the full requirement of the software. We would like to help our customers as much as we can, and we would like you to be able to play your 4k videos using Quik for Desktop. 

Since the computer is not compatible with the software, I suggest let's use Handbreak Software to convert your H.265 into a H.264 that will work with Quik for Desktop. Just a heads up, if we convert the files, it will also change the file size of your videos. Instead of lowering the file size of your video, it will go back to the normal file size it should be when you are using a default 4K videos. "

This is a joke.  I had already gone back and forth with support sending them a DxDiag output that shows my Core i9 Processor was manufactured in Q2 2017.   

Not to mention my problem has zero to due with playback, since the media imports and plays back perfectly on my PC.

If does NOT however, show up in the Quick application, which prevents me from being able to use it in the Quick editor.

To me, this is clearly a software, driver, codec, issues of some type...  But I'm getting zero help from GoPro techincal support.  They are saying things like my Hard drive is probably too full.   

Some system info

------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 11/8/2017, 06:36:36
         Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: Alienware
             System Model: Alienware Area-51 R4
                     BIOS: 1.0.3
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz (20 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 16260MB RAM
                Page File: 11630MB used, 7060MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
           Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
        Manufacturer: NVIDIA
           Chip type: GeForce GTX 1070
            DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
         Device Type: Full Device
          Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B81&SUBSYS_33011028&REV_A1
       Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER] 
 Device Problem Code: No Problem
 Driver Problem Code: Unknown
      Display Memory: 16244 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 8115 MB
       Shared Memory: 8129 MB
        Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Sightseer

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

Same problem here with my new Surface Pro 2017 (Intel i5 Kaby Lake, 8GB RAM).

I can watch all HEVC videos without any problems on my Surface, but I cannot see them in Quik. Why? How to fix the problem?

GoPro Community Manager

If your computer isn’t running Windows 10 / macOS High Sierra or newer, you will not be able to play HEVC files. Quik for Desktop will still copy HEVC files to your computer, but they won’t appear in the Quik for Desktop Media gallery. Also, third-party apps won’t be able to play HEVC files.

There's more info on the HEVC codec and where it can and can not be played at https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hevc.

Jeff

Hiker

[ Edited ]

Yeah, so that sounds like the exact reply that support keeps giving me.

And also makes me think that you did not read my post, or the post by another person right below me.

Which is a bit frustrating for me.

Both myself as the original poster, and the reply below mine both state that we can playback HEVC content fine.   Which without any other information should tell you that we are either on Windows 10 or macOS Sierra, and have a CPU capable of playing the content.

The problem is that the media does not show up in Quick.  Which means I can't tag, highlight, or edit the content.   The functionality of it showing up in the application should work on any platform and cpu combination.   Only playback requires the additional specs.  Which once again, I'll mention that I fully meet those requirements.

Sightseer

I have exactly the same problem. In Win10 newest Quik HEVC media just do not appear.

On my old PC with Win7 and old Quik I can see them without preview an cannot play them but they appear.

With DivX Player I can see them on both systems so the hardware can not be the Problem.

Sightseer

Add me to the same one having the problem.  I bought a new Kaby Lake surfacepro '17 so that I would have a computer that meets the PC requirements, which is a silly limitation.  They need to fix the desktop ap.  Like the rest of you, I am on windows 10, the videos play fine, but I can't use the quick function which is why I have bought the kaby lake laptop for the silly ability to make easy dive videos.  My desktop is a 6 core Haswell E processor with a 1080TI graphics card which decodes H265 much faster than a processor.  So why won't the app get updated to check for either processor or video.  The kaby lake processor was designed to decode 4k and new Nvidia graphics cards decode 4k.  Update your app, fix the problem.  

I will say the Hero6 takes incredible underwater video.  So much better than any in the past.  I just can't edit any of them because of the lazy app encoding. 

Hiker

I'm glad this is finally picking up some steam.

Crossing my fingers on a fix!

Sightseer

Just to add that this is a problem I'm having too. Even if you don't have a compatible PC, why not allow editing of the video in quik? Massively frustrating.