Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Reply
GoPro
Posts: 28,885

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Hi @sweetcreek17754

 

GoPro cameras create MP4 files, a format that is supported by many video editing programs. For other editing options on your home computer, we have had several customers give good reviews of Pinnacle Studio HD, Davinci Resolve,  Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premier Elements, and Apple's iMovie and Final Cut X. 

For more advance video editing applications, please refer to DaVinci Resolve (Free Version) or Adobe Premiere Pro CC (Paid).

VLC Media Player is also a free downloadable video media player that supports MP4 H.264 files.

 

Thanks!
Ej

Sightseer
Posts: 1

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Hello aragon1006.

But the problem is, mentioned video editors, dont support data from gps in Gopro7 (gauges - gps data).

Please fix Quik for desktop, to support editting HEVC (4K) videos!!!

Thanks

M.

GoPro
Posts: 6,097

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

 

Hi @mareno123,

 

We already forwarded your suggestion to the team handling this.

 

 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist
Posts: 9

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

I just built a beast.  i9-9900k,  32gig ram,  1T SSD,  Radeon RX 580 8gig ram etc etc Windows 10 Pro. And Im told  "Your computer doesnt meet the minimum requrements"   WHAT A CROCK OF **bleep**!!!!!  I WANT TO ADD GAUGES TO MY 4k 60fps FOOTAGE!!!!!

 

GoPro Quik Error.jpg
GoPro
Posts: 6,097

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

 

Hi @zbysior,

 

Sorry about that. 

It's just a system limitation not your computer. 

 

GoPro Quik can't handle 4k 60fps.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hevc

 

Regards,

-Jay 

Sightseer
Posts: 2

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

I am also having this issue. My wife bought me this hero 7 Black for Christmas. I went to play the h.265 on my old computer it wouldn't even play it. I built a new computer i9 9900K 32GB RAM running at 3800MHz, a 970PRO M2 drive and Radeon RX580 Black edition graphics card. This machine is more than capapble of doing whatever I want with 4K video. However Quik doesn't see the video once I transfer it to my computer. I can play the video back just fine. GoPro is walking a fine line of False Advertisement and I'm really not happy about it.

Sightseer
Posts: 2

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

@jayr3438 wrote:

 

Hi @zbysior,

 

Sorry about that. 

It's just a system limitation not your computer. 

 

GoPro Quik can't handle 4k 60fps.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hevc

 

Regards,

-Jay 


Jay, How do we add telemetry to 4K video??? Having Telemetry was one of the major selling points for this product!

Tourist
Posts: 8

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

In order for the videos to show up on windows 10, you need to go to the microsoft store app (installed on your windows 10 computer), and search for the Windows 10 HEVC extensions. Not really sure why this particular package costs $0.99 to download, but I installed it and then all of my videos were able to be visible, and play natively using the Windows 10 media player. And, they will then show up inside of Quik. 

 

Hope this helps.

 

I, on the other hand, have a worse problem - i can view, but when I try to export, it tells me my system isn't compatible. (already created a new msg on this one.

Tourist
Posts: 8

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Actually, GoPro Quik does support 4k/60fps. I use it successfully on my much-older mac. Interestingly how it won't work on my much-more-expensive, much-faster, and 4k-supported Windows 10 computer.

Sightseer
Posts: 1

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

A simple option would be for a setting on the GoPro to record in h.264 instead of HEVC, but that doesn't exist.

 

GoPro
Posts: 28,885

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Hi @sweetoasis26211

 

 

Video files are recorded using the h.264 codec and the MP4 file type, the exception being some resolution/frame rate combinations on the HERO6 and HERO7 Black.

With the HERO6 & HERO7 Black, HEVC (h.265) is utilized for applicable modes.

 

 

 

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist
Posts: 4

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]
Same problem i have powerfull pc and W10
GoPro
Posts: 14,949

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

@hardybeach57402, Quik for Desktop will still copy HEVC files to your computer, but they won’t appear in the Quik for desktop Media gallery.

Sightseer
Posts: 2

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

@alexgopro007 wrote:

In order for the videos to show up on windows 10, you need to go to the microsoft store app (installed on your windows 10 computer), and search for the Windows 10 HEVC extensions. Not really sure why this particular package costs $0.99 to download, but I installed it and then all of my videos were able to be visible, and play natively using the Windows 10 media player. And, they will then show up inside of Quik. 

 

Hope this helps.

 

I, on the other hand, have a worse problem - i can view, but when I try to export, it tells me my system isn't compatible. (already created a new msg on this one.


For what it's worth (just in case this is useful to others) the Windows 10 $0.99 HEVC plugin recommended here finally enabled HEVC playback and upload from Quik. And this despite the fact I already have H.265 codecs and VLC has no problems with those clips. *sigh*

 

What was really bothering me about this is that I have a Plus subscription I can't use because when I plug in my GoPro, the files get copied over and deleted and never upload to cloud :)

 

GoPro auto-upload on the camera itself is just as useless, so kudos GoPro on making this a horrible user experience.

Sightseer
Posts: 2

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

@dobriy781 wrote:

the Windows 10 $0.99 HEVC plugin recommended here finally enabled HEVC playback and upload from Quik.

Lol, nvrm, just joking. It sure enabled playback and upload but telemetry data doesn't work on those videos \o/

 

Jesus Christ, GoPro, get some real software engineers.

Sightseer
Posts: 1

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]
Get Davinci Resolve it is pretty easy to use with a few tutorials and it’s what professionals are using due to the bugs in Adobe Premier. I think you may need to buy something to export in 4K, but if it’s something you really want to do it might be worth it. I’ve given up hope on any software GoPro offers.
Tourist
Posts: 3

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Yup, this fixed it for me, thank you so much for this.

 

I didn't even have the HEVC Extensions app installed in the first place.

 

 

I'm running Windows 10: Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299 (for those note sure, go to Sytem Information to get this information).

 

After installing the HEVC extensions app and restarting my PC the gopro Quik app worked as expected.

 

They really should add this to their support page.

Tourist
Posts: 8

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

I wish it were the same for me. I'm using a laptop with a Coffee Lake i7-8750H 6c/12t processor and a GTX 1050Ti built in, I've installed the paid for HEVC extensions, rebooted and still Quik refuses to pick up HEVC media, rendering it utterly pointless. I may as well just manually import it and then use something else to do editing and bin off Quik entirely.

That GoPro won't fix such a fundamentally broken aspect of their app tells me that they do not want to actually have the app any more, they simply want it to die because they can't be bothered with the cost of doing business.

Guess I best find a free editor that can cope with HEVC so I can start to learn how to edit videos form my GoPro. Beginning to wish I'd spent way less on a generic action cam since I'm just not seeing how GoPro justifies their premium right now.

Hiker
Posts: 9

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

So....  It's only 2 years since I made this original post.

 

Still running the same PC.    GoPro did release a software update recently, and after updating my particular problem has been resolved.

 

It's just too little, too late.   Had already made the decision to dump all my GoPro gear and start investing in DJI equipment.  Have had much better luck with their customer service.

Tourist
Posts: 5

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

I have built a now 3500$ computer. cuz my 9y old computer did not support HEVC, I thought.

its time for an upgrade.

it was still the same message.

I went to support.

here is our conversation:

Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:24:47 PM): By the way, upon checking your DxDiag, your Graphics card is nvidia geforce rtx 2070. Checking it here, The RTX 2060 and RTX 2070 is currently a decent fit for 1440p gaming at a relatively smooth frame rate, but going above will yield better results down the road, and thus be a better value.
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:25:14 PM): I see. Thanks for letting us know the other issues that you have encountered.
Me (6/24/2019, 4:26:02 PM): so it is my GPU?
Me (6/24/2019, 4:26:12 PM): i need a 2080?
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:26:59 PM): You can check this link https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/21/17761644/graphics-card-how-to-choose
Me (6/24/2019, 4:29:00 PM): I dont see how the gpu is the issue.
Me (6/24/2019, 4:29:10 PM): can you explain to me better?
Me (6/24/2019, 4:30:06 PM): are you saying that is i buy a rtx 2080, it wont be an issue?
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:30:07 PM): Sure!
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:30:54 PM): The video resolution uses HEVC are 4K. 2.7K
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:31:05 PM): May I know what video resolution are you using?
Me (6/24/2019, 4:31:18 PM): 4k on the camera
Me (6/24/2019, 4:31:23 PM): 60frames
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:32:13 PM): Yes that supports HEVC. So in that case you need to use a compatible Graphics card for is to work fine.
Me (6/24/2019, 4:32:56 PM): so my Graphics card is not good enough?
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:33:22 PM): Have you tried to use other video resolution?
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:33:29 PM): Like lower resolution?
Me (6/24/2019, 4:33:31 PM): and if so, can you answer that if i but the rtx 2080 wil it fix the issue
Me (6/24/2019, 4:33:40 PM): i dont want to :)
Me (6/24/2019, 4:33:46 PM): i like 4k 60p
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:34:41 PM): Well if you will use a recommended Graphics card there is a big chance that it will work.
Me (6/24/2019, 4:35:09 PM): i have no problem upgrading my gpu, i just dont ant to waste 800 dollars
Me (6/24/2019, 4:35:30 PM): so a big cahnse is not a definitive answer
Me (6/24/2019, 4:35:36 PM): ok ok
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:35:37 PM): Oh, sorry yes it will work with that.
Me (6/24/2019, 4:36:00 PM): thank you!
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:36:50 PM): Because HEVC really used a higher quality footage so that you need to use a compatible Graphics card or computer to properly playback the videos.
Me (6/24/2019, 4:38:16 PM): ok thanks i will buy a better gpu then :)

 

so I went and spend 1 grand on an RTX 2080.

As they said that it would definitely work?

 

it did not.

must be nice GoPro Wasting other peoples money.

They can't even answer me what I need to have on my computer in order for it to work!

 

( 9m 27s ) Christopher James: Thank you for waiting. It looks like we/Kimberly found out the the Graphicsc ard/Video card of your computer does not meet the requirements to play HEVC files.
( 9m 54s ) Visitor: yes and so now i spendt 1000 dallars
( 9m 59s ) Visitor: dollars
( 10m 15s ) Christopher James: Does it mean that after spending a grand it still does not work?
( 10m 20s ) Visitor: yes
( 10m 25s ) Christopher James: Woah!
( 10m 39s ) Christopher James: May I know the error message that we are getting here?
( 10m 57s ) Visitor: can i send you a screenshoot?
( 11m 13s ) Christopher James: Sure. Let me re-open this case.
( 11m 23s ) Christopher James: So that we can send you a screenshot.
( 11m 34s ) Christopher James: I mean so that you can send us a screenshot.
( 11m 34s ) Visitor: sure
( 12m 57s ) Christopher James: https://gopro.com/help/CaseAttachments?ID=5001J00000lMcVK
( 14m 42s ) Visitor: i unnistalled the gpu drives first the hvec extentions and quick, reebooted then i innstalled the gpu drive, followed by the hevc extentions in microsoft shop, then lastly quik
( 14m 50s ) Christopher James: I would need to get the DXDIAG of your computer again. Is that fine?
( 14m 56s ) Visitor: yes
( 15m 3s ) Christopher James: Thanks.
( 15m 26s ) Christopher James: Kindly use the same link provided above. Thanks.
( 16m 0s ) Visitor: finished
( 16m 56s ) Christopher James: Checking. Is this a laptop or a desktop that we are using?
( 17m 5s ) Visitor: desktop
( 17m 13s ) Christopher James: Got it.
( 17m 55s ) Christopher James: Did you built this computer? It is because I do not see the manufacturer's name. Thanks.
( 18m 23s ) Visitor: yes
( 18m 56s ) Christopher James: Okay. Got it. When did you build this computer?
( 19m 24s ) Visitor: december
( 20m 45s ) Christopher James: Since you have installed the new Video card on this computer, are you able to share a screenshot of the error message that you get when you try to upload them?
( 21m 23s ) Visitor: i tougth i just did
( 21m 37s ) Visitor: the first SS i sendt you today
( 22m 0s ) Christopher James: Sorry. Let me check.
( 24m 29s ) Christopher James: I am now reviewing the new DXDIAG versus the system requirements for Quik for Desktop.
( 24m 45s ) Visitor: the reasin i buildt this pc was becuse my old computer got the same error
( 25m 19s ) Visitor: so i returned my gopro 7 at that time and started building this computer.
( 25m 39s ) Christopher James: Oh I see. Thank you for sharing. I will be more than willing to remove.
( 25m 57s ) Christopher James: Just confirmed the price of your GPU and i was shocked.

 

Stay the F'''' AWAY

Tourist
Posts: 8

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Funny how my laptop with a 6c/12t 8th gen i7 and builtin 1050Ti handles HEVC just fine in other apps but Quik refuses to play ball, and yet my desktop with an i7 6700K and no seperate GPU doesn't complain at all! Granted trying to play back 1080p 240fps in Quik or VSDC on the machine without a separate GPU is painful, but it will do it. Yet on my newer and more powerful laptop, nope. Quik refuses to even show  the media in my gallery, let alone play it whereas VSDC is quite happy to play it (albeit it still doesn't like 240fps but I suppose for free stuff it might be a bit much to expect that - I woud imagine that in Adobe Premiere or something it'd be fine).

 

GoPro clearly have no idea h software works and no inteest in fixing it. Sounds like an outsourced job to me and they arenm't interested in paying for ongoing support.

Tourist
Posts: 6

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

@niffin wrote:

I have built a now 3500$ computer. cuz my 9y old computer did not support HEVC, I thought.

its time for an upgrade.

it was still the same message.

I went to support.

here is our conversation:

Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:24:47 PM): By the way, upon checking your DxDiag, your Graphics card is nvidia geforce rtx 2070. Checking it here, The RTX 2060 and RTX 2070 is currently a decent fit for 1440p gaming at a relatively smooth frame rate, but going above will yield better results down the road, and thus be a better value.
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:25:14 PM): I see. Thanks for letting us know the other issues that you have encountered.
Me (6/24/2019, 4:26:02 PM): so it is my GPU?
Me (6/24/2019, 4:26:12 PM): i need a 2080?
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:26:59 PM): You can check this link https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/21/17761644/graphics-card-how-to-choose
Me (6/24/2019, 4:29:00 PM): I dont see how the gpu is the issue.
Me (6/24/2019, 4:29:10 PM): can you explain to me better?
Me (6/24/2019, 4:30:06 PM): are you saying that is i buy a rtx 2080, it wont be an issue?
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:30:07 PM): Sure!
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:30:54 PM): The video resolution uses HEVC are 4K. 2.7K
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:31:05 PM): May I know what video resolution are you using?
Me (6/24/2019, 4:31:18 PM): 4k on the camera
Me (6/24/2019, 4:31:23 PM): 60frames
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:32:13 PM): Yes that supports HEVC. So in that case you need to use a compatible Graphics card for is to work fine.
Me (6/24/2019, 4:32:56 PM): so my Graphics card is not good enough?
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:33:22 PM): Have you tried to use other video resolution?
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:33:29 PM): Like lower resolution?
Me (6/24/2019, 4:33:31 PM): and if so, can you answer that if i but the rtx 2080 wil it fix the issue
Me (6/24/2019, 4:33:40 PM): i dont want to :)
Me (6/24/2019, 4:33:46 PM): i like 4k 60p
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:34:41 PM): Well if you will use a recommended Graphics card there is a big chance that it will work.
Me (6/24/2019, 4:35:09 PM): i have no problem upgrading my gpu, i just dont ant to waste 800 dollars
Me (6/24/2019, 4:35:30 PM): so a big cahnse is not a definitive answer
Me (6/24/2019, 4:35:36 PM): ok ok
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:35:37 PM): Oh, sorry yes it will work with that.
Me (6/24/2019, 4:36:00 PM): thank you!
Kimberly (6/24/2019, 4:36:50 PM): Because HEVC really used a higher quality footage so that you need to use a compatible Graphics card or computer to properly playback the videos.
Me (6/24/2019, 4:38:16 PM): ok thanks i will buy a better gpu then :)

 

so I went and spend 1 grand on an RTX 2080.

As they said that it would definitely work?

 

it did not.

must be nice GoPro Wasting other peoples money.

They can't even answer me what I need to have on my computer in order for it to work!

 

( 9m 27s ) Christopher James: Thank you for waiting. It looks like we/Kimberly found out the the Graphicsc ard/Video card of your computer does not meet the requirements to play HEVC files.
( 9m 54s ) Visitor: yes and so now i spendt 1000 dallars
( 9m 59s ) Visitor: dollars
( 10m 15s ) Christopher James: Does it mean that after spending a grand it still does not work?
( 10m 20s ) Visitor: yes
( 10m 25s ) Christopher James: Woah!
( 10m 39s ) Christopher James: May I know the error message that we are getting here?
( 10m 57s ) Visitor: can i send you a screenshoot?
( 11m 13s ) Christopher James: Sure. Let me re-open this case.
( 11m 23s ) Christopher James: So that we can send you a screenshot.
( 11m 34s ) Christopher James: I mean so that you can send us a screenshot.
( 11m 34s ) Visitor: sure
( 12m 57s ) Christopher James: https://gopro.com/help/CaseAttachments?ID=5001J00000lMcVK
( 14m 42s ) Visitor: i unnistalled the gpu drives first the hvec extentions and quick, reebooted then i innstalled the gpu drive, followed by the hevc extentions in microsoft shop, then lastly quik
( 14m 50s ) Christopher James: I would need to get the DXDIAG of your computer again. Is that fine?
( 14m 56s ) Visitor: yes
( 15m 3s ) Christopher James: Thanks.
( 15m 26s ) Christopher James: Kindly use the same link provided above. Thanks.
( 16m 0s ) Visitor: finished
( 16m 56s ) Christopher James: Checking. Is this a laptop or a desktop that we are using?
( 17m 5s ) Visitor: desktop
( 17m 13s ) Christopher James: Got it.
( 17m 55s ) Christopher James: Did you built this computer? It is because I do not see the manufacturer's name. Thanks.
( 18m 23s ) Visitor: yes
( 18m 56s ) Christopher James: Okay. Got it. When did you build this computer?
( 19m 24s ) Visitor: december
( 20m 45s ) Christopher James: Since you have installed the new Video card on this computer, are you able to share a screenshot of the error message that you get when you try to upload them?
( 21m 23s ) Visitor: i tougth i just did
( 21m 37s ) Visitor: the first SS i sendt you today
( 22m 0s ) Christopher James: Sorry. Let me check.
( 24m 29s ) Christopher James: I am now reviewing the new DXDIAG versus the system requirements for Quik for Desktop.
( 24m 45s ) Visitor: the reasin i buildt this pc was becuse my old computer got the same error
( 25m 19s ) Visitor: so i returned my gopro 7 at that time and started building this computer.
( 25m 39s ) Christopher James: Oh I see. Thank you for sharing. I will be more than willing to remove.
( 25m 57s ) Christopher James: Just confirmed the price of your GPU and i was shocked.

 

Stay the F'''' AWAY


That is pretty outrageous. They know full well that it is not the video card, they knew that before you even contacted them because they know this from all of the other people they have previously fobbed off and continue to fob off. The Gopro approach is to drag this out until people lose interest.

The tactic is if you inform them of an error they try to peel you off from the crowd and privately tell you that is is your PC or your video card. They continue to lie to their customers and have not changed their marketing material even with the knowledge of the massive problems with their software and their inability or reluctance to fix it. I am dissapointed in the tech review media and youtube channels for not covering this massive ongoing trainwreck.

Tourist
Posts: 5

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Then what is it? is it not working for anyone?

I have ryzen.. is it INTEL, GOPRO DO I NEED TO BUY INTEL?? are you even listening to me?
is not just about the grand I spent! I want this **bleep** to work. can anyone confirm if work seamlessly? on any build?

WTF do I need to buy? they say I don't make sense for them either. cuz my computer overqualified,

I asked them to get in contact with the software developers to try and answer me, let's just hope that that happens.

Tourist
Posts: 2

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Die Aussage von @graytree76515/Jay ist nicht korrekt.

In dem Artikel auf den der Link verweist steht im letzten Satz des 1. Absatzes folgendes:

 

"Darüber hinaus wird HEVC unter Windows 10 und MacOS High Sierra auf neueren Computern mit leistungsstärkeren Prozessoren nativ unterstützt."

 

Erwarte von GoPro schnellstmöglich ein kostenfreies Upgrade der SW damit ich auch mit den Telemetrie-Daten bei 4k und 50 fps Aufnahmen arbeiten kann

Tourist
Posts: 3

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

I: just saw you said you paid for the HEVC application -- that is the wrong one!

 

There are 2 HEVC apps on the Windows Store, one of them is paid, and one of them is free. The free one, as far as I can tell, is the correct one to use. This article explains it more in-depth: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-view-hevc-or-heic-files-in-windows-10-for-free-1827094768

 

After installing the free one, the problem was resolved for me, but based on some of the replies in the thread people are saying that newer versions of Quik already have HEVC support bundled with the application smoehow.

 

 

Tourist
Posts: 8

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]
No bud, I have two Intel's - one works one doesn't with Quik, but both work with other apps and HEVC. The trouble is Quik's algorithm for determining hardware requirements most likely.
Tourist
Posts: 8

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]
No bud, I have two Intel's - one works one doesn't with Quik, but both work with other apps and HEVC. The trouble is Quik's algorithm for determining hardware requirements most likely.

Also I have the free and paid for hevc codecs and neither fix the problem for me.
Tourist
Posts: 3

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Okay, in that case I'm not sure what to say, that clearly indicates a Quik issue only. For me (and a few others) installing the HEVC extensions and then restarting the computer was all it took, it's unfortunatel that didn't solve your problem.

Tourist
Posts: 5

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Okay. hanks. but dashware also tho it is a GoPro software. also, have this problem. and also racerender, which is unrelated to GoPro I think.
racerender can't find the right codec encoder, I also tried reinstalling windows today. it did nothing.
I was thinking of going full 9900k to see if it helps.

 

can it bee a windows problem or is it possible to rule that out?

 

Tourist
Posts: 5

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

what intel do you have that is working. and which is not?


@quickmesa46716 wrote:
No bud, I have two Intel's - one works one doesn't with Quik, but both work with other apps and HEVC. The trouble is Quik's algorithm for determining hardware requirements most likely.



Tourist
Posts: 8

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]
I7 6700K works, i7 8650H (I think that's the number, not near my laptop right now) does not. It might be because it's a mobile centric cpu, but it definitely does HEVC as it works fine VSDC video editor.
Sightseer
Posts: 1

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Mir geht es ebenfalls so: GoPro Quik heruntergeladen auf Windows 10 PC, installiert und nach Anleitung die Kamera angeschlossen. Keine Reaktion, keine Kamera, keine Dateien oder Ordner - einfach nichts. X-mal probiert - null! Und wenn ich mir die Leserforen so ansehe gibt es scheinbar eine gewollte GoPro-Baustelle - daher für mich: Hände weg von GoPro, absoluter Wahnsinn.

Tourist
Posts: 5

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]
Nur mit original GoPro oder USB 3.0 Kabel kann man anschließen, (blaue USB). Auch SD Speicherkarte raus nehmen und ins Kartenleser einstellen.
Sightseer
Posts: 1

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Here is my DXDIAG capture with some non-relevant information deleted. The core of my system is there with all information that should be needed to see that HEVC is indeed supported.. not to mention I can easily play HEVC files (the ones from the camera) on both VLC media player AND Magix Vegas 15.  There is NO excuse for why GoPro Quik software shouldn't support this outside of the software not utilizing the codec correctly or the support for it not being implemented into the software itself. This is NOT a hardware issue, it is purely a codec and software issue. Please get this fixed.

 

The below system was built by me. I have 15 years of experience building custom PC's... so I can assure you it has nothing to do with the specs of this pc, or even most the computers in this listing.

 

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/23/2019, 09:23:26
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: 1203 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16250MB RAM
Page File: 8159MB used, 11161MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Display Tab 2: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: The file STXII.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
Input Tab: No problems found.

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 1080
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B80&SUBSYS_11A1196E&REV_A1
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Display Memory: 16203 MB
Dedicated Memory: 8079 MB
Shared Memory: 8124 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (144Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: Acer XF270H B
Monitor Id: ACR064D
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (143.992Hz)
Output Type: Displayport External

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Speakers (ASUS Essence STX II Audio Device)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_8788&SUBSYS_85F41043&REV_00
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: STXII.sys
Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0008 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 339.0 GB
Total Space: 976.0 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB

Drive: D:
Free Space: 1542.1 GB
Total Space: 1907.7 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: WDC WDS100T2B0A-00SM50

Tourist
Posts: 3

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Download the codec and it will work.

 

This is the same codec as the one you need to pay for just for free....

Sightseer
Posts: 1

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

the fact this is not answered easier by GoPro is a shambles.

 

1. Download this from the microsoft store - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq?irgwc=...

 

2. Close Quik

3. re-launch Quik

4. re-scan the folder with the content and all the videos will appear!


Tourist
Posts: 8

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

I already have that extension installed and Quik still refuses thansk to its inability to recognise HEVC capable CPUs. I've gievn up on Quik. It's a worthless bag of garbage.

Sightseer
Posts: 1

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Reply deleted pending fix posted above.

Tourist
Posts: 2

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Same problem, no problems watching media on win10, 4k60, h265 on a 4k display using eg VLC but quik doesnt recognize h265 media produced by GP7BE. :-/

Tourist
Posts: 5

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]
For me there is no more problem to play in Quick and other third-party players since latest Windows 10 updates.
Tourist
Posts: 1

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Same issue. HVEC video plays as smooth as you like on my pc (even in the default windows film & tv app), quik copies them but says not supported. Machine has 32gb RAm, Intel® Core™ i7-8809G, RTX 2080, running windows 10 pro.

Fix it. 

Sightseer
Posts: 2

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]
Same for me... It looks like no one takes care about this issue!
Tourist
Posts: 5

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

these gopro idiots have had this same problem for 3 years now.  If I would have know they were so incompetent, I would not have bought the newer hero 7.  I think I'll return it and get the Garmen Virb.

Sightseer
Posts: 1

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Same here.  H.265/HEVC plays just fine on our machine using VLC & MPC-HC, even though it has an old i7-2600k 4-core, courtesy of the 1050ti GPU & a fast ssd.

 

Have you never heard of HARDWARE ACCELERATION?

 

It was bad enough that Qwik would not support the same setup running W7.

 

All you have to do is make Qwik check the graphics card, guys & gals!  AND don't believe everything Intel tells you.

 

SW compatibility is VERY important to the long-term future of any imaging company.  Arbitrary decisions like this are a really bad idea.

 

FIX IT GOPRO!

Tourist
Posts: 11

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

The videos shot at 4k play just fine on Windows 10 media player after installing HEVC codec using WIndows Store.  However, the GoPro Quick claims it cannot open these files.

 

I can edit, view in Adobe Premeir Pro and other video edditors just fine.

 

This is clearly GoPro Quick problem. 

 

It would be nice for GoPro to offer SW that actually works and is critical (breaks it) bug free.

Tourist
Posts: 3

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Gleiches Problem mit HEVC von Gopro8.

Bei meinem PC mit altem Xeon X5650 und GTX1060 auf Windows 10 64 bit Basis werden die HEVC von jeder Software erkannt, außer von der Hauseigenen Gopro Quik Software nicht!

 

....okay, Gopro schreibt.:

"HEVC wird auf Windows 10-Computern mit dem Intel Kaby Lake (oder einem gleichwertigen) Prozessor und neuer unterstützt. "

 

Fazit.:

 

Bei meinem Surface 5 mit einem i7-7660 auf Windows 10 64 bit Basis funktioniert es genauso gut, nämlich GAR NICHT!!!

 

War ein Fehler mir die neue Gopro8 zu kaufen. Viele User im Netz berichten vom gleichen Problem, und das seit langer Zeit, eine Lösung habe ich bis jetzt noch nicht gefunden. Die Idee mir auch eine Gopro Max zu kaufen, habe ich klar verworfen!

GoPro
Posts: 28,885

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Hello @bertlbert

 

HEVC is not yet fully compatible with Quik for Desktop.

You can use 3rd party applications to play these type of files. See Programs to View and Edit Videos

Should you need further assistance, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

 

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist
Posts: 3

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Habe herausgefunden, wie das laden der HEVC Videos in Quik auch bei älteren PCs funktioniert, nicht nur bei Intel Kaby Lake.

Einfach im Microsoft Store den HEVC Codec herunterladen und installieren. Kostete bei mir 1euro.

HEVC stehen nun in Quik zur Verfügung, jedoch die GPS Daten nicht. Funktioniert derzeit nur bei Gopro 7 oder älter.

 

Mit dem Tool "DashWare" funktioniert das ganze auch bei der Gopro8, und hier braucht man den Intel Kaby Lake nun.

 

Tourist
Posts: 3

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]
Leider musste ich hierfür selbst lange Zeit im Internet nachforschen.
Hätte mir von Gopro mehr Unterstützung/Informationen erwartet, wie z.B. ein direkter Hinweiß in der Quik App.

Tourist
Posts: 2

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

Ändert aber nichts an der Tatsache das 4K-Videos mit 50fps in Quik nicht einwandfrei laufen