Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

@graytree76514 wrote:

Hi @zbysior,

Sorry about that. 

It's just a system limitation not your computer. 

GoPro Quik can't handle 4k 60fps.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hevc

Regards,

-Jay 

Jay, How do we add telemetry to 4K video??? Having Telemetry was one of the major selling points for this product!

Highlighted
Tourist

In order for the videos to show up on windows 10, you need to go to the microsoft store app (installed on your windows 10 computer), and search for the Windows 10 HEVC extensions. Not really sure why this particular package costs $0.99 to download, but I installed it and then all of my videos were able to be visible, and play natively using the Windows 10 media player. And, they will then show up inside of Quik. 

Hope this helps.

I, on the other hand, have a worse problem - i can view, but when I try to export, it tells me my system isn't compatible. (already created a new msg on this one.

Highlighted
Tourist

Actually, GoPro Quik does support 4k/60fps. I use it successfully on my much-older mac. Interestingly how it won't work on my much-more-expensive, much-faster, and 4k-supported Windows 10 computer.

Highlighted
Sightseer

A simple option would be for a setting on the GoPro to record in h.264 instead of HEVC, but that doesn't exist.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @sweetoasis26211

Video files are recorded using the h.264 codec and the MP4 file type, the exception being some resolution/frame rate combinations on the HERO6 and HERO7 Black.

With the HERO6 & HERO7 Black, HEVC (h.265) is utilized for applicable modes.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Same problem i have powerfull pc and W10
Highlighted
GoPro

@hardybeach57402, Quik for Desktop will still copy HEVC files to your computer, but they won’t appear in the Quik for desktop Media gallery.

Highlighted
Sightseer

@alexgopro007 wrote:

In order for the videos to show up on windows 10, you need to go to the microsoft store app (installed on your windows 10 computer), and search for the Windows 10 HEVC extensions. Not really sure why this particular package costs $0.99 to download, but I installed it and then all of my videos were able to be visible, and play natively using the Windows 10 media player. And, they will then show up inside of Quik. 

Hope this helps.

I, on the other hand, have a worse problem - i can view, but when I try to export, it tells me my system isn't compatible. (already created a new msg on this one.

For what it's worth (just in case this is useful to others) the Windows 10 $0.99 HEVC plugin recommended here finally enabled HEVC playback and upload from Quik. And this despite the fact I already have H.265 codecs and VLC has no problems with those clips. *sigh*

What was really bothering me about this is that I have a Plus subscription I can't use because when I plug in my GoPro, the files get copied over and deleted and never upload to cloud :)

GoPro auto-upload on the camera itself is just as useless, so kudos GoPro on making this a horrible user experience.