Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

I'm running a brand new Windows 10 PC with a Core i9 Processor.  I bought this PC specifically to support the newer HEVC encoded files by the GoPro 6.

When I plug in my camera, Quick recognizes that there is media to import, I see it copy the files, and when complete it displays a warning about HEVC files, and that while they will import into Quick and show up in the Media section, they may have problems with playback.

So far so good.  I got that message on my older PC.  And indeed, on my OLD pc the media showed up in the media section with a question mark, and playback was super crappy.  

On my NEW pc, after the files are imported, they do NOT show up in the media section.  Only older h.264 encoded files show up.

They do however get imported to disk, and the playback of the files is butter smooth and perfect.  As should be expected on a brand new high end PC.

This is what GoPro support told me.  Then proceeded to close my case.

"Thank you for the response. Please do not get me wrong, I understand that your PC is brand new and that it is almost compatible with Quik for Desktop. On the other hand, the main issue is the compatibility of the computer's specs with Quik for Desktop. 

As I have mentioned, while Windows 10 / macOS High Sierra supports HEVC, your computer must use a newer processor to play those files smoothly. Quik for Desktop will still copy HEVC files to your computer, but those files may struggle to play back. In general, computers manufactured before 2016 may not handle HEVC files well. 

System Model: Alienware Area-51 R4 was manufactured late 2016 and this could be the reason why it is not meeting the full requirement of the software. We would like to help our customers as much as we can, and we would like you to be able to play your 4k videos using Quik for Desktop. 

Since the computer is not compatible with the software, I suggest let's use Handbreak Software to convert your H.265 into a H.264 that will work with Quik for Desktop. Just a heads up, if we convert the files, it will also change the file size of your videos. Instead of lowering the file size of your video, it will go back to the normal file size it should be when you are using a default 4K videos. "

This is a joke.  I had already gone back and forth with support sending them a DxDiag output that shows my Core i9 Processor was manufactured in Q2 2017.   

Not to mention my problem has zero to due with playback, since the media imports and plays back perfectly on my PC.

If does NOT however, show up in the Quick application, which prevents me from being able to use it in the Quick editor.

To me, this is clearly a software, driver, codec, issues of some type...  But I'm getting zero help from GoPro techincal support.  They are saying things like my Hard drive is probably too full.   

Some system info

------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 11/8/2017, 06:36:36
         Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: Alienware
             System Model: Alienware Area-51 R4
                     BIOS: 1.0.3
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz (20 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 16260MB RAM
                Page File: 11630MB used, 7060MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
           Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
        Manufacturer: NVIDIA
           Chip type: GeForce GTX 1070
            DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
         Device Type: Full Device
          Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B81&SUBSYS_33011028&REV_A1
       Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER] 
 Device Problem Code: No Problem
 Driver Problem Code: Unknown
      Display Memory: 16244 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 8115 MB
       Shared Memory: 8129 MB
        Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Accepted Solutions
GoPro Community Manager

Re: HEVC Media does not show up in Quick on new Windows 10 PC

[ New ]

If your computer isn’t running Windows 10 / macOS High Sierra or newer, you will not be able to play HEVC files. Quik for Desktop will still copy HEVC files to your computer, but they won’t appear in the Quik for Desktop Media gallery. Also, third-party apps won’t be able to play HEVC files.

There's more info on the HEVC codec and where it can and can not be played at https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hevc.

Jeff

View solution in original post

All Replies
Sightseer

[ New ]

Same problem here with my new Surface Pro 2017 (Intel i5 Kaby Lake, 8GB RAM).

I can watch all HEVC videos without any problems on my Surface, but I cannot see them in Quik. Why? How to fix the problem?

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

If your computer isn’t running Windows 10 / macOS High Sierra or newer, you will not be able to play HEVC files. Quik for Desktop will still copy HEVC files to your computer, but they won’t appear in the Quik for Desktop Media gallery. Also, third-party apps won’t be able to play HEVC files.

There's more info on the HEVC codec and where it can and can not be played at https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hevc.

Jeff

Hiker

[ New ]

Yeah, so that sounds like the exact reply that support keeps giving me.

And also makes me think that you did not read my post, or the post by another person right below me.

Which is a bit frustrating for me.

Both myself as the original poster, and the reply below mine both state that we can playback HEVC content fine.   Which without any other information should tell you that we are either on Windows 10 or macOS Sierra, and have a CPU capable of playing the content.

The problem is that the media does not show up in Quick.  Which means I can't tag, highlight, or edit the content.   The functionality of it showing up in the application should work on any platform and cpu combination.   Only playback requires the additional specs.  Which once again, I'll mention that I fully meet those requirements.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have exactly the same problem. In Win10 newest Quik HEVC media just do not appear.

On my old PC with Win7 and old Quik I can see them without preview an cannot play them but they appear.

With DivX Player I can see them on both systems so the hardware can not be the Problem.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Add me to the same one having the problem.  I bought a new Kaby Lake surfacepro '17 so that I would have a computer that meets the PC requirements, which is a silly limitation.  They need to fix the desktop ap.  Like the rest of you, I am on windows 10, the videos play fine, but I can't use the quick function which is why I have bought the kaby lake laptop for the silly ability to make easy dive videos.  My desktop is a 6 core Haswell E processor with a 1080TI graphics card which decodes H265 much faster than a processor.  So why won't the app get updated to check for either processor or video.  The kaby lake processor was designed to decode 4k and new Nvidia graphics cards decode 4k.  Update your app, fix the problem.  

I will say the Hero6 takes incredible underwater video.  So much better than any in the past.  I just can't edit any of them because of the lazy app encoding. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm glad this is finally picking up some steam.

Crossing my fingers on a fix!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Just to add that this is a problem I'm having too. Even if you don't have a compatible PC, why not allow editing of the video in quik? Massively frustrating.

Anonymous

[ New ]

This is insane, I have an i7 Kaby Lake too (7700k) and I could play the content just fine. Virtually the same with all of you guys (Compatible procie, Win 10) and could not see HEVC media via Quik. This is getting sad.

Tourist

[ New ]

It's insane that I cannot use the Speed Data in my video because they don't visualize them in Quick, please do something GOPRO!

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm having the same problem with my Hero6. Windows 10, and a 2017 HP running an i7-770 & 16GB. Latest firmware & software.

The Quik software will import HEVCs into a folder, and I can play them just fine using Potplayer, but they do not display in Quik. If I have 3 movie files in a folder, and one of them is an HEVC file, Quik will pretend there are only two files.

Extremely frustrating, particularly as I bought this Hero6 for its 240fps capability. Is there really no solution to this, other than converting with Handbrake? I find it incredulous that Gopro's own software can't handle the output of its own camera. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
I think the problem was that Quik for Desktop simpy did not yet support the HEVC files on version 2.5.
I did the update to the newest version 2.5.1 yesterday and after doing a library refresh scan, it all works fine now for me!
Anonymous

[ New ]

Wow, I have been searching for at least an hour, hope this helps someone.

Fix is to reinstall HEVC app from microsoft store. I believe last Windows 10 Creator update 1709 (16299.125) broke native HEVC support.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-movies/movies-tv-stopped-working/3...

Uninstall from "Settings-->apps" , it is called "HEVCVideoExtension"

Then it can be reinstalled from the microsoft store:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/p/hevc-video-extension/9n4wgh0z6vhq

After this Quik was able to find and play my HEVC videos.

Hiker

[ New ]

Well, you had me hopeful there for a minute.

Didn't work for me.  Was your problem that you couldn't "Play" HVEC files in Quick, or that they just don't show up in the library at all....

Because for me, they aren't added to the media library at all.  They play just fine on my computer using several other software packages.   I just can't get them to list in Quick.  :(

Still no resolution.  GoPro support is the worst I've dealt with since Frontier Communications....

It's no suprise to me that the company is struggling.  I definitely regret supporting GoPro by buying a Karma drone that is now being discontinuted.   And I'm glad that I learned my lesson and have stayed away from the Fusion.  I went through the forums and saw plenty of unhappy customers also not being helped by GoPro support.

Hopefully someone will buy this company and turn it around....

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hey all

New to the gopro community, got a Hero 6 for christmas

So i've really enjoyed the camera so far, but have been mainly using the phone app to play around with my footage. I built a computer awhile back, so I figured I would try to do more and use the Quik Desktop app.

I've downloaded the newest version of the software, and am able to transfer all my files inlcuding the H.265 files (4k 60fps, etc) and the thumbnails pop up,  that all works, but when I play the videos its super laggy and stutters etc. I am currently using an i5-6600k but I'm seriosuly thinking about upgrading to an i7-7700k (currently a good sale at microcenter lol), which supposedly is able to run these files no problem.

My question is really more so in regards to the 7700k actually being able to run the files smoothly. I havent been able to find many people saying it does lol.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hey,

For me without the fix for Windows H265, when I imported my H265 videos Quik software was telling me my pc did not meet the minimum requierements to support playback and was hiding them - even with an i7 kaby-lake processor.

Same as you before I found this workaround I could play the files with at least VLC... 

I think the software is still badly optimized for H265 playback, even with W10 codec fixed when I play those videos it's lags big time and I see CPU struggling. Even the Windows Videos with the fix can playback H265 butter smooth.

I'm just giving up editing this specific format until GoPro fix their stuff.

Anonymous

[ New ]
I'm skeptical upgrading to 7700k would magically fix the Quik software issue. In my case, I tried three different rigs with different CPUs and they are all performing badly - only in Quik software.

i7-6800k
i7-7500u
MacBook pro with i7-4870HQ

They all sucked. Even the Kaby-Lake gen couldn't playback with the same symptoms as you. I'm sure an i5-6600K can play H265 in VLC or other software without any problem, even if the architecture doesn't optimize it.
Anonymous

[ New ]

All Nvidia 10-Series graphics cards, like 1070 and 1080, have hardware decoding support for HEVC 10-bit h.265, same with the new AMD GPUs.  The new Ryzen processors have support for the codec built in too.  Quik is just a sloppy program.  The programers at GoPro are lazy.  You have to use another editing program.  You can verify the support yourself by loading up one of your videos in Windows Media Player Home Cinema.  It kinda feels like Intel kicked GoPro some money to sell some processors, but they couldn't even get that right.

Anonymous

[ New ]

OK, So basically it comes down to this:

1. New computers can play the HEVC files in Windows 10 if they install the correct codec from the Microsoft Store. (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/play-hevc-coded-videos-on-windows-10)

2. The files cannot be edited by the GoPro Quik software, which means that you either have to use complicated open source or expensive third party software in order to work with the files.

OK, I can live with the above if I knew that GoPro was working on a fix in the near future, however - not monitoring the support and ignoring the communities and the dealers is telling me that they are probably not working on a fix. My solution so far is to shoot in 1080p and regretting the upgrade.

Sorry for not providing any new information - only posting this to let GoPro know that this is still a problem for everyone - and they have yet another unsatisfied customer.. :-( ..

Tourist

[ New ]

Well, not adding anything useful to this thread, except trying to keep this alive. As I´m experiencing the same problem here, win10 and brand new coffee lake processor. Playback smooth everywhere else, but Quick doesn´t show the files at all.

Indeed, switched from Sony to Gopro finally and now I´m a bit confused why they are not actually making working software.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have same problem. I try reinstall HEVC codec from windows store and rescan in Quik, it show up but still cant play or edit any video ( It not responding and close Quik App )

Spec: 

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/1/2018, 07:15:20
Machine name: DESKTOP-GMSCV1M
Machine Id: {3B399DA0-5BAC-4C14-868C-E73C909EBCFD}
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: 1009
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16322MB RAM
Page File: 16707MB used, 3711MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.16299.0015 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
           Card name: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
        Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
           Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x67B0)
            DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
         Device Type: Full Device
          Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67B0&SUBSYS_04661043&REV_00
       Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER] 
 Device Problem Code: No Problem
 Driver Problem Code: Unknown
      Display Memory: 12233 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 4072 MB
       Shared Memory: 8161 MB
        Current Mode: 2560 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)
         HDR Support: Not Supported
    Display Topology: Internal
 Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
     Color Primaries: Red(0.651867,0.332531), Green(0.307141,0.631359), Blue(0.150891,0.060070), White Point(0.313977,0.329602)
   Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.500000, Max Luminance = 270.000000, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 270.000000
        Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
       Monitor Model: LG ULTRAWIDE
          Monitor Id: GSM76FE
         Native Mode: 2560 x 1080(p) (59.938Hz)
         Output Type: Displayport External
Monitor Advanced Color Capabilities: None
Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
         Driver Name: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0323831.inf_amd64_1212be4b9fe2386c\aticfx64.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0323831.inf_amd64_1212be4b9fe2386c\aticfx64.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0323831.inf_amd64_1212be4b9fe2386c\aticfx64.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0323831.inf_amd64_1212be4b9fe2386c\amdxc64.dll
 Driver File Version: 23.20.15017.3010 (English)
      Driver Version: 23.20.15017.3010
         DDI Version: 12
      Feature Levels: 12_0,11_1,11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
        Driver Model: WDDM 2.3
 Graphics Preemption: DMA
  Compute Preemption: DMA
            Miracast: Not Supported
 Hybrid Graphics GPU: Not Supported
      Power P-states: Not Supported
   Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 31/01/2018 07:00:00, 1987280 bytes
         WHQL Logo'd: Yes
     WHQL Date Stamp: Unknown
   Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-24F0-11CF-3178-CF1EBBC2DA35}
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

HEVC files could still not be edited via Quik. There was a recent update on Quik for desktop but the feature is still not supported. We have passed this along to the team in charge. We will post updates once available. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

Any progress here @mariustanya? Still not working for me ...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

We still do not have an update. At this time, it remains that HEVC files could still not be edited via Quik. In the meantime, you might want to check what other community members have been using to edit their HEVC files. You can follow the thread here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Has-anyone-been-able-to-edit-HERO-6-BLACK-240FPS-1080p-GX0-files/td-p/66330/page/2 and here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero-6-HEVC-h-265-Editing-Workflow/td-p/64912

Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

2018 + Hero 6 + HEVC + h.265 = GoLow... Sneaky way to sell products and do not software support them.. Worse, giving fake advertisment guys that on new Intel processors it's working when it's clearly not working. Disappointed. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bogdanl547

Quik don't support HEVC files. 

You need a third party software to use/view it. 

Also HEVC needs a device that supports HEVC and a video player that can play HEVC. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

What's that 3rd party app name? Captured an continent roadtrip and want to put together 6TB of clips(4GB per bank). No hardware problem for me (8th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors with Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics).

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @bogdanl547

You can use VSDC as this application works with HEVC files. You can download it here: http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor/download''

Alternatively, you can use Handbrake to convert your HEVC videos to a resolution which can be played in Quik. This article discusses on how to do it. 

There are other free editing apps that you can explore on, and use. This community thread cites other apps. 

I hope this helps. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi Guys,
Glad I found that Forum and notice I am not the only one in trouble.
I just got a Gopro Hero 6 so I could user the 4k60 and other 1080p240. In the same time i bought a brand new computer so i could edit those video without any problems : Gigabyte Sabre 15 Processeur i7-8750H 8core, 16 Go RAM, SSD 256Go & GTX 1060
I can read the video without any trouble on playback on my computer with any software, but as soon as I import them to quick, the video in hevc show up but when i want to playback them, it lags and plays jerky.

I guess nobody found any solutions ?
Do you guys have good recommandation to use any other software that handle hevc perfectly ?

Thank you all.

Tourist

[ New ]

Understood..as a final result after weeks of trying, I am giving up on all GoPro devices. It's really out of my mind how come in 2018 we are having this issue and support/compatibility conversation - dissapointed.

Thx,

Bogdan

Anonymous

[ New ]

I got the Hero 6 a few days ago and first I thought my processor is the one to blame (i7 3770k) when I tried to play the HEVC media in Quik...but then I tried them in VLC and they played very well.

The difference is: in Quik the CPU load goes up to ~100% (GPU 0%) and it starts lag like hell. When I use VLC the GPU (GTX 1060) load goes up to 30 - 50% and i plays very well.

So I think the problem in my case is, that Quik is using the CPU and not the GPU...I found no setting to change that - is there one hidden somewhere?

If not - why not bringing an update to change that, I think that would help a lot for many people.

GoPro

[ New ]

Great observation @Anonymous!

I'll have this raised to the team in charge. Thank you for sharing this.

The option currently available is you can change the preferred graphics processor if you are you are using a setup with multiple graphics cards on a Windows computer. 

Please continue to check our website for more updates.

Regards,

Ej

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi!

I have a quite similar observation.

Intel Core i7 8700k

nVidia Titan X Pascal

Win 10 x64 latest version and drivers

When playing back H264 GoPro content, GPU video decode utilization is 30-40% and CPU utilization is low. Quick is usable.

When playing back H265 HEVC GoPro content, GPU video decode utilization is 0 and CPU on all 12 threads 100%.

VLC or Windows Video all work great on H265 HEVC Hardware video decode on my system.

Consequently, Quick for Desktop should behave the same way to be useable.

Thanks for your support!

Regards,

Jan

Hiker

[ New ]

SO the quik desktop app doesnt support HECV H.265 videos still? THey dont import into quik desktop

But they do on my phone? All I have been told and read to get these to work is a kaby lake CPU which I have

this is pretty crap

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @drekko

Thank you for reaching out. The mobile app works in a different manner with the desktop that is why compatibility will also differ. It is odd that you are still not able to access your HEVC files on your computer considering that you have a Kaby Lake OS. Even if the computer does not have the supported operating system, the HEVC files should still be copied (or imported). The computer will just not be able to play them. Moreover, having the supported OS still does not guarantee access to play back HEVC files. This could be due to the OS running on an older computer (manufactured 2016 and earlier). 

If this is not the case with your computer, and you are still not able to access HEVC files, it would be best to get in touch with our Support team for further assistance. You can reach them here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]
From what I found, the Quick for Desktop (Windows10) does support the import and playback of HEVC files (don't forget to download and install Win10 HEVC driver before and do a refresh of the library after installation), but it lacks Hardware acceleration for those HEVC files when you have a Desktop PC with a dedicated graphics card where you cannot switch between integrated and dedicated graphics as you can on a laptop. (This was often suggested as a solution).
Consequently, I think that in order to get hardware acceleration, an update has to be released.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006,

Is there any progress on that? I have Skylake CPU (i5-4670), but also GeForce 1070 GPU with hardware support for HEVC and I can't load any HEVC files from my GoPro 7 black to Quick software on my Windows 10. I would be glad if you can reply with approximate date when new Quick (with ability to open HEVC files on older CPU and playback/render them using GPU which supports HEVC) will be available.

Thanks in advance!

JT

Sightseer

[ New ]

OK so just my experiences on this:

Extremely disappointing Customer Service over the past couple of weeks. I have been trying to get my new Hero 7 Black working at the high settings (which requires the HEVC codec to be used) with Quik Desktop and had numerous sessions with technical support all trying to say there was something wrong with my computer. Today escalated to a manager (Paolo) who told me in the first 30 seconds that Quik for Desktop does NOT support HEVC videos. Paolo was incredibly rude and dismissive and basically told me:
- Quik for Desktop is free - what do you expect
- Use other video editing software
- If you do use other video editing software you will not get any of the highlight, gauges, GPS data that you recorded with your video

I am very angry about this for the following reasons:
- If it is indeed the case that Quik does not support HEVC why did technical support waste 10 hours of my time testing and blaming my system
- How can GoPro believe it's legitimate to have headline new resolutions and framerate that their only desktop editing software doesn't support
- there is zero warning of this when you buy a GoPro - in fact the page about HEVC gives minimum system requirements rather than saying "don't bother, we don't support it"
- Paolo, the technical support manager, is an incredibly poor representative for your brand - i left that call literally shaking with rage, not because of the outcome, but because of the insanely rude way he dealt with me, called me a liar and kept telling me "this is the way it is, take it or leave it"

GoPro make some nice hardware but their lack of even basic concern about their own ecosystem is why the brand has such a bad name.

Long story short, a previously devoted GoPro supporter is returning his Hero 7 and will be looking for a new action camera alternative.

Hiker

[ New ]

It's hard to believe I made this post almost a year ago, and there has been no update or fix from GoPro.  Yet they released a new camera.

The Hero 7 is the first GoPro I have NOT bought since the original Hero HD.

I'm done with this company...  By the way, is anyone interested in buying my Karma?  It's time for me to clear out my GoPro inventory...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi everyone!

We are still waiting for updates regarding HEVC files being handled by Quik for desktop.

Please continue to check our website for updates.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

So I looked into your fix. Did some research and it turns out that Microsoft removed the HEVC from Windows 10 at a certain point and that's why I was unable to find it in my Settings > Apps as you had described. I moved forward with installing it and tried rescanning my folder but nothing new showed up. Restarted my computer and then rescanned the folders and Quik found and populated EVERYTHING! I've been dealing with this for a long time and am so glad I came across your solution - GoPro should be paying you $$$ for solving their problem!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Any chance we get the update by Christmas?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @philc88240

We do not have information regarding this.

Please continue to check our website for updates. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/Software-Update-Release-Information

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi All, 

I'm starting to get into the whole GoPro business and got the Hero 7. I have recorded some HEVC formats and couldn't view them either in Quik or my desktop and i do have a high end machine as I have built it myself with an i9-9900k processor and a 1080 Ti card. 

Did some digging around and downloaded a codec pack here [edited link] because i hate sigining into the microsoft store and after i rebooted my machine,  it was there and i was able to view it in either Quik or in VLC.

I dont know why GoPro hasnt released a codec for the community or have found a resolution yet, but I literally did this 10 min ago and it was that simple.

Hope this helps you all.

- Phil

Tourist

[ New ]

The same problem - Windows 10 build v1809 not GoPro Quick imported HEVC files with this warning

GoPro HEVC.jpg

Files isn't showing in Quic, and can't open files for editing. All HEVC, I can play smoothly in VLC and MP Classic from imported folder. If trying to open HEVC files with Windows Movies & TV app, says - "Please buy windows HEVC extension" 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq?active...

After I bought extension, GoPro Quick can see all my HEVC files, but playing is very laggy, the same as on my previous Intel i7-4800K PC. H264 files GoPro Quick can play smootly.
 I specially upgraded my PC from Intel Core i7-4800K to Intel Core i9-9800K for 2k bucks to edit 4k GoPro videos, but still can't do that. Now seems like all the problem exists in laggy GoPro Quick software! Only reason to use GoPro Quick is option to add gauges to my videos.
PS (I'm not happy with GoPro Hero 7 Black at all too, battery life is too short, not supported aftermarket batteries, connection to Samsung Galaxy Note 8 allways is unstable. Connection to remote to is very hard.)

Bellow is my computer configuration:

CPU Type OctalCore Intel Core i9-9900K, 4800 MHz (48 x 100)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte Z390 UD (3 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 1 M.2, 4 DDR4 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Cannon Point Z390, Intel Coffee Lake-S
System Memory 32700 MB (DDR4 SDRAM)
DIMM1: G Skill RipjawsV F4-3200C16-16GVK 16 GB DDR4-3200 DDR4 SDRAM (16-18-18-38 @ 1600 MHz)
DIMM3: G Skill RipjawsV F4-3200C16-16GVK 16 GB DDR4-3200 DDR4 SDRAM (16-18-18-38 @ 1600 MHz)
BIOS Type AMI (08/29/2018)

Display:
Video Adapter GeForce GTX 1080 (8 GB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Monitor LG HDR 4K (DisplayPort) (2808423024)

Tourist

[ New ]

@raimiska wrote:

The same problem - Windows 10 build v1809 not GoPro Quick imported HEVC files with this warning

GoPro HEVC.jpg

Files isn't showing in Quic, and can't open files for editing. All HEVC, I can play smoothly in VLC and MP Classic from imported folder. If trying to open HEVC files with Windows Movies & TV app, says - "Please buy windows HEVC extension" 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq?active...

After I bought extension, GoPro Quick can see all my HEVC files, but playing is very laggy, the same as on my previous Intel i7-4800K PC. H264 files GoPro Quick can play smootly.
 I specially upgraded my PC from Intel Core i7-4800K to Intel Core i9-9800K for 2k bucks to edit 4k GoPro videos, but still can't do that. Now seems like all the problem exists in laggy GoPro Quick software! Only reason to use GoPro Quick is option to add gauges to my videos.
PS (I'm not happy with GoPro Hero 7 Black at all too, battery life is too short, not supported aftermarket batteries, connection to Samsung Galaxy Note 8 allways is unstable. Connection to remote to is very hard.)

Bellow is my computer configuration:

CPU Type OctalCore Intel Core i9-9900K, 4800 MHz (48 x 100)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte Z390 UD (3 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 1 M.2, 4 DDR4 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Cannon Point Z390, Intel Coffee Lake-S
System Memory 32700 MB (DDR4 SDRAM)
@DIMM1: G Skill RipjawsV F4-3200C16-16GVK 16 GB DDR4-3200 DDR4 SDRAM (16-18-18-38 @ 1600 MHz)
@DIMM3: G Skill RipjawsV F4-3200C16-16GVK 16 GB DDR4-3200 DDR4 SDRAM (16-18-18-38 @ 1600 MHz)
BIOS Type AMI (08/29/2018)

Display:
Video Adapter GeForce GTX 1080 (8 GB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Monitor LG HDR 4K (DisplayPort) (2808423024)

I'm just waiting for them to blame it on your computer, with specs like that!Smiley LOL

Tourist

[ New ]
Sightseer

[ New ]

I dowloaded it, everything works but Quick and the ability to select the folder where the files will download dissapeared.

Tourist

[ New ]

I tryed to install free  version Windows HEVC codec, and all my videos from GoPro Quick disapeared. Removed all my installed codecs withTotoalUninstall Pro, than installed only paid Windows HEVC codec from MS store, and again all wideos are wisible in Quick. Again imported new videos, opened HEVC file, first play normal, second normal, than lagging, hanging.
But anyway, main problem, - Quick can't play HEVC files smoothly!

Here is GoPro Quick futures:

• Import and enjoy your GoPro footage and create beautiful videos with just a few clicks.
  • Easily transform your footage into awesome videos synced to music.
  • Automatically import1 your photos and videos and share your best shots.
  • Add gauges and graphs that show how fast, far and high you went.2
    No words about HEVC not supported, no words Quick is for short H.264 clips only!
    GoPro Team, please fix this problem, on you are waiting thausends and tahausends customers!
Sightseer

[ New ]

So, essentially, we have the HVEC created files on the HERO7, but we have a GoPro created app (QUICK) that does not yet support HVEC files created by HERO 7 - ON A PC. 

I love QUICK on my iphone, but I would like to edit on my PC.  What other apps for a PC have been used for editing?  

Should I just shoot in h.264 or convert using handbrake?