Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

HEVC Decoder Missing 2080 TI + R9 290x setup

[ New ]

When running the GoPro Player with my 360 MAX files, I get the "HEVC Decoder Missing" error.

It then informs me I can download it from the microsoft store. Click "yes". Redirected to here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq?active...

This requires a product code / key to purchase this decoder.

I have an 2080 TI GPU and an R9 290x. I am assuming the application is trying to use my R9 290x and not the 2080 TI.

How do I force the app to use my 2080 TI and not the R9 290x (which is not supported).

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: HEVC Decoder Missing 2080 TI + R9 290x setup

[ New ]

Hello, @rogerm28736. Our team checked on the log that you provided.  From the result of the command line, it seems that your computer does not have any HEVC decoder to play video using GoPro Player. These typically are provided by your computer manufacturer, please contact them to redeem or download the HEVC decoder otherwise you can purchase it from Microsoft Store directly.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

[ New ]

i have the same problem with my PC. i have a 2070 super with 32 gb ram and a ryzen 3700x. hopefully someone sees this and we can figure it out..

Hiker

[ New ]

Interesting that you also have this problem with just 1 GPU this is compatiable.

If you find a solution let me know.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @rogerm28736 and @boompowbang. See if the following steps will help: 

HEVC Decoder Reinstall: Depending on your hardware and system configuration, you may experience an issue with the HEVC decoder. Here are different steps you should try to resolve the issue:

STEP 1 - Make a proper HEVC decoder install Open a PowerShell as Administrator and type: Get-AppxPackage -Name "*HEVC*" | Remove-AppxPackage

Then type: Get-AppxPackage -Name "*HEVC*" If you see any results at this point, you may have an obsolete version that has not been properly removed. You should locate the folder using the "InstallLocation" and remove it manually.

Download the latest HEVC decoder from Microsoft Store HERE Check if that resolved the issue.

STEP 2 - Make sure Windows didn't override the .dll rights Open a PowerShell and type: Get-AppxPackage -Name "*HEVC*" Find the row "InstallLocation" in the result, it will indicate where the dll is installed.

Open the folder "x64" in the .dll directory you found. Ensure present .dlls (hevcdecoder_store.dll & mfh265enc.dll) have at least "Read & Execute" rights for the group "Users". Check if this resolved the issue.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you for the reply and info.

Ran those commands not getting any error or any output from the commands. Still have missing DEVC error in app.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-AppxPackage -Name "*HEVC*" | Remove-AppxPackage
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-AppxPackage -Name "*HEVC*"
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-AppxPackage -Name "*HEVC*"

Capture.PNG
Hiker

[ New ]

Any other steps to try?

From what I have read Windows took out native support for HEVC in windows version 1706.

Myself and most people are likely on windows 10 version 2004.

Would really like to use my beast computer to work with these files. For some reason my old thinkpad laptop does not have this problem but it will burn a hole in my desk doing any sort of video rendering.

Tourist

[ New ]
I figured it out, download this on your PC https://www.free-codecs.com/download/hevc_video_extension.htm
Hiker

[ New ]

GoPro Team. Any update on this issue?