Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Gopro webcam utitlity crashing windows 10

[ New ]

My webcam utility keeps crashing and wont actually launch it shows a popup screen that says "It seems the application crashed on the last session" and doesnt do anything after that, is there anything i can do to fix this? i've uninstalled and reinstalled about 5 times now with no resolution.

Capture.PNG
Tourist

Re: Gopro webcam utitlity crashing windows 10

[ New ]

I have the same problem after updating the webcam software today. Before the update everything worked fine.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same issue, can verify that the software is broken after updating today, worked fine but literally crashes on startup now. Sigh. Considering the current climate, you'd think more effort would be put into this. 

Does anyone have a download link to the 'not latest version' ?

Tourist

[ New ]

+1 Same here

Tourist

[ New ]

Same problem here! Absolutely ridiculous! This is the first go pro I buy and this is the crap that happens? Nothing but a $500 paperweight for me now. Extremely aggravated right now.

Tourist

[ New ]
Right?! I’m almost tempted to just buy a standard webcam at this point
Sightseer

[ New ]

Same here.....

The icon on taskbar with the little camera and the bleu dot, dissapears when you get close with the mouse. It seems everytime the camera is being approached by an application I see the error message above.

Going back to a previous software version....  I get links to pages that don't exsist anymore. Facebook page which I don't get access to...  Very very poor software implementation. 

Helpdesk is not responsive, while I need this as part of home-office for daily telco's. 

Yesterday I saw Logitech Brio is available again for pre-pandemic prices so got it because I simply need a solution and clarity on timing of a resolution.  The Logitech is great!!   Software seems to work, integrates easily and image is crisp. Very dissapointed in GoPro.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same problem. I usually use my GoPro for meetings.

Earlier it worked fine, then it said there is an update, after I updated the software, It began crashing.

I have been uninstalling and installing the software like 3 times now. The most annoying part is you have to restart your PC to check if it actually worked.

I have a meeting tomorrow and I am now panicking.

Screenshot 2021-09-23 180640.jpg
Sightseer

[ New ]

I had exactly the same problem. 

Luckily I had the old installer package in my Downloads folder and after uninstalling and then a couple of reinstalls / restarts I had a working webcamera again.

NB! I have made the MSI available for download. This is version 1.1.1.702.

Sightseer

[ New ]

@hansfn you legend, thank you for the workaround! Hopefully, the devs get around to sorting this soon.

(Can confirm reinstalling it with the previous version as provided (i.e. rolling back the software) fixes it.)

Tourist

[ New ]
I’m not home and able to try this, but thank you for this. If this doesn’t work or a fix isn’t provided officially this will be the first and last GoPro I ever buy. Good luck to the rest of you. 👍
Tourist

[ New ]

Hey hansfn, having the same problem here, it just doenst work, crash every single time. I got your old version, just downloaded it.

I'll let everyone know as soon as I get it to work with the old software.

best regards.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same here

Tourist

[ New ]

This problem is not solved! there is just a walkaround given by one of the community members. GoPro really needs to respond to this and fix it.

Tourist

[ New ]

How is this marked solved? This NOT solved like someone already said. How garbage of a company are you that you mark a sketchy community fix as a solution. How do people keep giving you hundreds of dollars for this type of BS? If this is your answer to the problem where is the official download to roll back the software? The current download link just gives you one version.

You had two whole people say this solution worked for them and that is your verification that this fix will work for everyone? What a joke you people are. You sure like to take people's money, but fix something.... no chance. GoPro is nothing but a scam. This type of service belongs on Kickstarter. People may have great use for this camera outside the webcam utilization, but not everybody buys this for the same reasons, and as a company that boasts about the versatility of your camera you sure are lacking in this department.

GET A CLUE AND FIX YOUR PROBLEM OFFICIALLY!

Sightseer

[ New ]

After installing the latest gorpo app, it no longer connected to my camera and the app kept crashing on my Windows 10 computer. Installing this older version worked perfect! I can now connect my camera again and the app no longer crashes. Thank you for providing the older version of the software! It works great now.

Sad to see no reponse or update from GoPro on this. Also strange that the developers and testers didn't catch this issue. Must have been management pushing for a release even though it wasn't ready. :)

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am facing the same problem on my Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I got the update message and once updated, now unable to run the application. I tried uninstalling, re-installing, repairing but nothing helps. Everytime I run the application, I get the message that "Last time it Crashed" and it asks to send the info to GoPro, but nothing happens. This screenshot I am getting everytime after several 'restart' and 'reboot'. Until the update everything was working fine....

GoPro-WebCam-Updateed-and-Unable-run-the-app.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

+1 Will Gopro ever step up their game?

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you so much! I was using this alot for work until the update broke it.

GoPro... you lost trust by not rolling it back and admitting a mistake. From a development standpoint it is a simple thing to do. I dont understand how you can break an app im sure 1000s of people use and silently stand behind it.

Sightseer

[ New ]

i FOUND THE SOLUTION!! (sorry if my english is not good)

1First unistall the Goprowebcam app and reboot

2 Install the old version of the goprowebcam (find in you downloads carpets or download from this link, Is safe, the other guy upload it days ago and there is no virus https://drive.google.com/u/0/uc?export=download&confirm=Fty9&id=1BeTRpARtcEAmdMXOxU0cDU13RV65GJoO

3 Fin this: AppData\Roaming in you C Drive and find the GOPRO carpet and erase it

4, Once you do that, it will work, if u dont erase that carpet its seems dont reconginze the old version and the app think that you have the latest version or something like that i dont know

5, enjoy!! :D am so happy that i find the solutio for this maddes because i use the gopro for my streams! :D

Tourist

[ New ]
That’s not a solution. This is a workaround that someone has already covered. This may not work for everyone. The solution is for GoPro to step up and fix the problem like a real company. Stop letting the community fix their problems.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, Everyone. Thank you for the feedback. Sorry that you are having issues using the webcam utility tool. We have shared this with the team. We will post again once we have an update. Thanks!

Sightseer

[ New ]

This saved my life for now. Thank you for not letting me down when GoPro did.

I can now proceed with my meetings again. GoPro had the audacity to release a new camera and messed with everybody with the Hero 9 and other versions. 

Sightseer

[ New ]
i have a similar problem with this software, i have the latest firmware for my hero9 and windows 10 pro all up to date, but as soon as i launch the webcam app... blue screen of death appears and shuts down my computer, only way for me to use my computer again is to enter safe mode, remove webcam app and reboot
Tourist

[ New ]

I too have tried the new (as of 27 Sep 2021) Webcam Utility upgrade.  I get an 'incompatible) error message when I hook up the GoProHero8 to a Windows 10 desktop or laptop using the GoPro Webcam software.

My proble is that the GoPro Webcam app doesn't open on any of my Windows 10 computers when I directly connect.  I have only been able to get the GoPro Hero8 interfaced and working?? with my iPhone 11.  For a monthly service fee I can use the iPhone / Hero8 to stream over WiFi which is NOT acceptable.

I have called and worked with the online tier 1 help desk people many times over the past couple of weeks.  Since compatibility issues between the HERO8 and Windows 10 PCs using the upgraded WEBCAM software have never been addressed headon, my problem has never been resolved, I keep asking for them to refer the problem to tier 2/3 support that includes the program developers.  I have gotten no guarantee that this problem has even been referred let alone that it is being addressed and given a timetable for either a bug fix or an enhancement request.

I am selling the GoPro Hero8 as IMHO it is not supported well enough to be able to perform even BASIC functionality features.  I am now looking for a DIFFERENT camera that will.

My next call is to ADORAMA or some similar distributor.  If I could contact a camera OEM directly I would.  Any ideas?

Kevin Lehigh

Disgruntled HERO8 owner soon to be ex-owner

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same problem here.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

This has been reported to the team and we are waiting for updates.

We'll post back once we have additional information.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

Please, we really need this to work for meetings.