Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Sightseer

Re: Gopro Studio update VS Quik

It's a shame !!! I bought long time ago the cineform codec for working before Gopro buy Cineform and now I can't work because Quik doesn't install Cineform codec !

Shame !

I have to buy a new camero I will buy another brand. 

Tourist

Does anyone from the GoPro company read these comments or requests. Sorry if I am not looking in the right area as this is my first post on such a chat, but I don't seem to see any valid responses from your company. Providing a response is considered a simple courtesy, however all of the comments requesting some form of response I have read on this thread have been met with deafening silence! GoPro Studio is basically the reason I purchased three Gopro's starting from the 3+ Black Edition over 4 years ago now. Very easy to use. As a last ditch effort for all that have commented before me, can a response on the status of the GoPro Studio software please be provided or are we all condemned to the very un-user friendly and totally inept functions of the GoPro Quik software??!!

GoPro Studio - Please revamp it, re-release it or do something as we are all not young extreme sports stars that attach their GoPro's to snowboards or motorbike helmets and are satisfied with a quikie movie clip on their Facebook page when it comes to sharing their memories. Some of us have a large amount of family memories that are being totally rendered obsolete by a company that has rode the success of the customers who have supported their products for so long and never purchased cheap imitations. How about some loyalty to the old folk who just want GoPro Studio back up, Thank you.

Tourist

@bazza28

If you wait for a GoPro rep to chime in on the support forums you will probably be waiting indefinitely. I did a lot of research over the past few days and the reason why GoPro shuttered Studio, although frustrating, makes a lot more sense now. An announcement by the company would have been nice but I guess they didn’t want to attract any more attention to the situation than necessary. Basically, GoPro has hit some serious hard times financially and product-wise. They have cut hundreds of staff this year alone and shareholders are not happy the company hasn't been meeting expected profits. To cut costs, they basically layed off the whole Studio software development department. Because of this, they had no choice but to discontinue it.

I have been in touch with their support department via the phone and chat option a couple of times over the past few weeks and the reps that tried to help me, while polite, completely contradicted each other in what they told me, so I wouldn't expect much from their current support department.

Right now, GoPro's only suggestion for editing options, other than Quik, is to find a video editing software of your choice. Davinci Resolve and VSDC look promising to me but this is ultimately a personal choice for each of us. GoPro is not supporting any type of editing software at this time other than Quik which means you are limited to a 2 or 3 minute video using their software.

Here are some links to more information:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/2017/03/15/troubled-gopro-deepens-layoffs-eliminating-positions...

http://fortune.com/2017/02/02/gopro-hero5-karma-drone/

https://gopro.com/help/articles/Question_Answer/GoPro-Studio-End-of-Life-FAQ

Tourist

@dizawnc

I would just like to say that I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Your honest and informative reply actually has given me a different perspective. My heart goes out to the staff who have been layed off. Never good for anyone when this occurs.

Unfortunately when you get something good that works (GoPro Studio), it is difficult to change. However I welcome your advice on soem possible editing software options. I will be busily converting all of my memories into the format that will allow me to edit them with other software options in the future.

Thanks again for the update and reply. All the best.

Tourist

@bazza28 You bet. I know how frustrated I've been for the past few weeks so if I can help bring anyone else out of the dark I am happy to assist. Plus, based on the amount of hours I've spent reading forum convos hoping for an answer, I'm sure many others are going to read this thread.

I neglected to mention in my previous reply that I am a huge fan of GoPro in general and wish them the best in rebuilding and becoming stable again. Having never ran my own business, I can't imagine the logistics, decisions and pressure involved, especially when you have shareholders to please. I'm sure I could just as easily stumble if I was trying to grow a company.

I downloaded VSDC's free editing software yesterday and spent a few hours editing some of my Hero4 GoPro footage. I was abe to put together something very basic that I'm happy with for the most part. I still need to do some tweaking. I have not tried Davinci Resolve yet. Hoping to try it as well this week so I can compare the two.

Here is a link to VSDC's download that I used or you can just google "video soft dev" and get to it that way if you want to check it out.  

http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor/download

If you try VSDC out or any other software that you like, I'd love to hear what you think.  

GoPro Community Manager

@bazza28 - The GoPro Support Hub is primarily a member to member forum. If you tag me or one of the other employees you see here on your post, we'll be glad to respond as soon as we can, but for an immediate answer on any question from GoPro, the best option is to contact us directly. Our contact info is at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus.

The information that we have about the discontinuation of GoPro Studio can be found at https://gopro.com/help/articles/Question_Answer/GoPro-Studio-End-of-Life-FAQ. There's not much else that we'll be able to tell you beyond what's posted there.

I'm not clear on why your memories would be rendered obsolete by the ending of Studio. In addition to our Quik editor, there are numerous other editors you can choose from to edit your GoPro content. On the link above, for example, we suggest VSDC or iMovie as an option, but there are others that may be better suited for what you're looking for.

Jeff

Tourist

Hi @jefft thanks for picking up this topic.

I think what is annoying us is not that GoPro has dis-continued Studio (that happens, things change), but its that a 'Sunset' version of the software has not been made available for download.

With a sunset download your customers who have large project libraries in Studio (which can't simply be copied to other programs, the underlying video can, but all the time and effort in compining the edits etc is lost) can continue to install it on new computers etc whilst we transition to a new editor over time.

GoPro don't need to provide continued support, just an official link to a virus-free version of the software itself. Rather than forcing us to hunt around on the internet for dodgy private versions.

I hope i've explained the frustration? Perhaps you could pass that feedback to the developer/product team?

Thanks, Simon.

GoPro Community Manager

We have passed along the feedback that customers still want the last version. We'll pass it along to the teams again.

As for current projects, Studio should not have been removed from any computers by GoPro. If you already had Studio on your system, you can continue to use it.

Jeff