Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

Gopro App doesn't connect to Plus/Cloud

[ New ]

Hi,

it's Android Samsung S7. All Software is latest and greatest (GoPro App 5.2.2)

Installation goes fine, I can connect my Hero7 Black, can load media files back and forth. All works great.

Now....

I have a Plus subscription since two months now, and can use Plus/Cloud through my W10-Desktop; no problem.

But...

I can't log in to Plus through the Android App . No matter what I have tried. I have been through all "connection issues" reports, FAQs etc. on the support hub to no avail, including everything related to Wifi , Bluetooth, Passwords, re-installation etc.pp.

When in the App, the cloud-tab says "on internet connection". When being in the settings I click on log-in and insert my name/password, than I receive an error "no internet connection. This function is not available. Check connection and try again" (this is translated from german, maybe in english it reads a bit differently).

Now, this error doesn't make sense:

a) if the cam is still connected I see this in the WiFi settings, than Wifi is blocked and ofcourse there is no internet connection. So the error would be positive but the function meaningless.

b) I would expect that in this case the cam "switches" to BT and the Wifi connects to the internet, but that I can't see from the icons. BT is paired but the icon doesn't prompt a connection.

c) I turned off the camera and turned off Wifi, too, so I would expect the phone connects through mobile data. But still the app would say I don't have internet connection.

Whatever I try, the App insists on a missing internet connection .... strange.

Any clues anyone out there?

PS: I should say I use Adguard on the phone. This app is a hefty proxy thing and impacts the DNS and http traffic. However for troubleshooting purposes I removed it completely to see if it has any impact to the App-Cloud connection issue. But fortunately it doesn't.

GoPro

Re: Gopro App doesn't connect to Plus/Cloud

[ New ]

Hi @shigoist

This is a bit odd.

The app should be able to pull your Plus media so long as the correct account is logged in to your account.

If you have access to another phone, would you be able to try the GoPro app.

Login with your Plus account then see if you'll be able to view your files.

You can also try signing in to your account via gopro.com on a computer.

This will help verify your logins/account..

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi,

I did all that you propose. I can log in from desktop.

My current workflow is that I use the desktop to upload to Plus/Cloud and edit from there, btw (just because it doesn't work on my phone, btw.)

Last thing I tried (which I haven't tried before) is to reset the Gopro (reset connections).

When resetting the gopro, I'm given new password. One need to bear in mind that the Bluetooth on the phone need to be unpaired and resynced, too. It's not enough with all the Wifi.

So, ok, I factory reset the Gopro, I reset all connections on the phone.  I opened all ports, deactivated firewall and AV on the router; basically let the internet door wide open :-(

And ... tara ... Plus connection was there, account accepted. It synced immediately all stuff from Plus/Cloud ... just so that right after to kick me out again, saying "no internet connection" (but IT IS there, I can do all other stuff in parallel).

Hiker

[ New ]

One more, I just did one thing:

- I have the Gopro App installed on both my Galaxy S7 and on my Galaxy TabA. I have both devices in front of me.

- On the TabA I only have the App installed and the login to Plus works, on the TabA I don't have any camera linked. It's just the plain app with my login.

- both devices seem to be connected to Plus ( I can tell from the settings in the App).

- I have taken some pictures with the Gopro7 and it is auto synced through the S7 to the Plus/cloud right away (which I guessed, there is no indication because the "Cloud" Tab in the S7-Gopro-App says "no internet connection")

- on the TabA the freshly taken pictures show up on the "Cloud" Tab immediately

So what does that tell?

a) I don't know, no one knows.

b) login to Plus is only supported from one device? If that is so why doesn't it say "sorry, multiple login not supported"

c) background syning through Plus works

Hiker

[ New ]

It's so weird. I'm logged in:

Screenshot_20190608-170533_GoPro.jpg

But it says I'm not having an internet connection, and posts an ad for the Plus Subscription

Screenshot_20190608-170429_GoPro.jpg

Hiker

[ New ]

Sorry for spamming, but I'm really getting into it now :-)

Since it is very reproducable I made a screen recording showing the behaviour:

APP Screen recording

Hiker

[ New ]

>>>>>> I realized I'm in the wrong subforum, can anyone please move it into the Andoird section, thanks <<<<<

The whole issue boils down to the fact that the App "thinks" it is OFFLINE. Meaning no matter what I type in to login, the App doesn't even try to go online.

In the Android Settings under "Accounts" GoPro inserts an account that's called "Guest" when the app setup starts. There is one more for Quick though with my right User Name; that's strange. Within the App, when I run the setup and the app asks me to log in to Quick it does so with using my correct user name ... so there is Internet connection from within the app, why can't Plus not detect that...?

Anyway, within the Android settings I can "add a Gopro Account"; that is than outside the App. Gopro Dialog pops up with the option to login in my with Gopro credentials. However at the bottom of the dialog there is a greyed out tab which says OFFLINE-MODE. Klicking on that it reads like "Use it offline and in 24h we will remind you to register, blabla". Now 24h have past since last trial and no reminder received.

I mean what's going on? What a lousy multi app integration is that then?

PS:

My suspicion: I'm using "this app" since some years when it was called capture etc. Sometime inbetween, when the mess with the forced online thing came up with the new App, I must have used the trick to go offline, than de-installed, re-installed etc. and it might have left the App in a state "offline". And it is somewhere in the Android Core now a file with that indication which is not cleared when de-installing the App. It might fix the issue when I wipe the phone. Well, I'm not gonna do that, no way. I have spend now hours and hours of trouble shooting and expect now a fix from Gopro.

I only write and document the whole lot here, because I'll call them up tomorrow when everyone is back in the office to be able to refer to something without repeating the whole story on the phone.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @shigoist

Thank you for the details that you provided. If you haven't done it yet, try clearing cache on the app settings for GoPro App on your S7 device. Just clear cache and not clear data as the latter would delete all information on the GoPro app. Let us know how the logging in and the access to GoPro Plus goes after this step. We hope to hear back from you. 

Best regards, 

Marius