Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Nomad

GoPro Webcam-APP - works that too?

[ New ]

Today I reinstalled the webcam APP on a new notebook with W10 (re-installed and all updates ...). I wanted to perform a live stream with the webcam APP from the notebook via WLAN (hotspot is an iPhone 6).
As long as I am in the WLAN of a router, a connection can in principle be established. It then also provides a stream. Only as soon as you move the camera even a millimeter, i.e. change the image, there are only artifacts! The upload speed is 20mBit! So it can actually not be a problem with only FullHD 50FPS.
As soon as I use the iPhone's hotspot, I keep getting the message that the GoProAPP is causing a network error and that I should check the firewall settings - but the APP is excluded!
Apart from that, there is always a connection error to the camera, which I can only fix by closing the APP and restarting the Hero9. The APP offers "Preview" the window remains black - no preview can be seen! Then there is a menu item "Lens mode" which cannot be selected ....
The browser is always Chrome (version 94.0.4606.61) and the streaming target is YouTube.
I'm not really sure what the problem is exactly, but it seems to be the GoProWebcamAPP itself?

GoPro

Re: GoPro Webcam-APP - works that too?

[ New ]

Hi @oliverz513

Were you able to test if live streaming works when using a Wi-Fi network instead of a hotspot connection?

Also, please note that using the camera as a webcam is different from live streaming using the mobile app.

Check out these links for reference:

How To Live Stream From Your GoPro

How To Use Your GoPro As A Webcam 

Thanks!

Ej

Nomad

[ New ]

As I already wrote - it works fine via a wireless connection on my router. The error message comes if i stream from a hotspot on my mobile phone. ONLY when I try to use the Hero 9 as a webcam with a USB cable on the laptop and then for example to stream on YT - if I carry out the stream with the webcam built into the laptop, it works fine (also via the same hotspot of my iPhone)!
If I use the mobile Quick-APP for live streaming, the problem does not exist (apart from the fact that the connection is simply lost sometimes - although I do not know whether it is the LTE connection or the server).
The webcam also seems to only offer FullHD at all. There is no lower resolution (which would be necessary with mobile streaming)?

However, the "WLAN connection" feature is active in the camera - even if I use it as a webcam. Should that be disabled?

Nomad

[ New ]

For a better understanding why I want to do it like this:
I cannot stream mobile on YT because I am missing 1000 Folower ... But on the same channel with the same user I am allowed to stream from the PC / laptop. Hence the idea of using the Hero 9 as a webcam on the laptop and via a mobile hotspot to publish the stream on YT via a mobile phone.
Once there is apparently a problem with the GoPro webcam APP (network error) and then there is the FullHD resolution, which is too high for mobile streaming via LTE. SD (480) would be ideal here.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @oliverz513

Let our Support Team check on this further.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Please let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

Thanks!

Ej