Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

GoPro WebCam on MacOS Big Sur

[ New ]

Bonjour,

Le fait que l'installation nécessite un "reboot" me fait légèrement hésiter car cela pourrait indiquer des risques d'incompatibilité plus importants.

Quequ'un peut-il confirmer que l'application GoPro WebCam fonctionne aussi sur le nouvel Operating System d'Apple: Mac OS Big Sur?

Merci

GoPro

Re: GoPro WebCam on MacOS Big Sur

[ New ]

Hello, @flupk. Yes, the GoPro webcam feature works on Mac OS Big Sur. Our team has been using the same OS for development and testing. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello yes ther Perview works on Bigsur. But now after the update I can not coose the Gopro anymore in the zoom ap or in facetime.... Can anyone help?

Sightseer

[ New ]

The GoPro Preview feature works on BigSur, but FaceTime and Quicktime no longer recognize it as a Webcam. Super frustrating, as I use my gopro hero 8 to record screencasts.

Tourist

Re: GoPro WebCam on MacOS Big Sur - Zoom and Webex notes/questions

[ New ]

First, my first effort in installing the GoPro Webcam app under Big Sur failed but after I rebooted, reinstalled, and rebooted again I found the GoPro Webcam icon appearing just fine on my toolbar and preview worked great.

As to Zoom, I found Zoom worked with the GoPro fine.  Just had to go to Zoom's Preferences, click the Video icon, then select GoPro camera in the drop down box.

However, I was NOT able to get WebEx to switch to the GoPro camera on my Mac either using the Mac Webex app nor trying to run it via Chrome.  Anyone have any success?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, Everyone. Here are some popular tools that support GoPro Webcam on Mac

• YouTube Live - Using Chrome
  • Zoom - App/Chome
  • Webex - Using Chrome 
  • Slack - Using Chrome 
  • Google Meet 
  • Microsoft Teams
  • Skype - Using Chrome
  • Twitch - via OBS
  • BlueJeans - App
  • GoTo Meeting
  • Facebook Rooms - App/Chrome 
  • Discord - Using Chrome
  • Snap Camera

If the camera does not work as a webcam on applications other than those in the list, you may check with the platform to see if there are other settings that need to be checked. 

@redboost84808 What happens when you try to use the camera in Webex via Chrome? Do you get any error message? 

Tourist

[ New ]

My bad.  I restarted Webex being sure to cancel the prompt about wanting to use the app and, using Chrome as the interface, my GoPro worked fine.  Still no joy from the app - the GoPro camera doesn't appear as an option - but Webex via Chrome DOES work on my Mac.

Thanks for the prod.....

Tourist

[ New ]

Do I need to re-install? I upgraded from Catalina and the webcam app stopped working.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @aurelianot76. Try re-installing the webcam utility and see how it goes. Make sure that your camera has GoPro Connect set under USB connection. Let us know what you find out. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

I have big Sur and have no ability to use my GoPro Hero 8 with my iMac on Facetime. 

Zoom is fine. 

What's going on here? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @peppyspiri821

We'll have this shared with the team.

Are you using the Zoom app or is it through a browser?

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I stand corrected. 

The Gopro Hero 8 camera doesn't work on Zoom in Big Sur. 

It did work on Catalina (Zoom), but not on Facetime. Now it seems like neither Zoom nor Facetime recognize the hero8 camera - effectively making it a useless webcam. 

The Hero8 software does still let me "preview" the video from the camera on the computer, so it does tell me that there is a signal that is able to come through from the camera. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks! @peppyspiri821

We'll have this checked with the team.

We'll post back for updates.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Te funcionará a ti, por q hemos probado esta aplicación en varios equipos con Big Sur y en ninguno hemos conseguido que funcione
Tourist

[ New ]

Buongiorno, contatto voi dato che il servizio clienti non è disponiblile, inizio con il dire che non ho avuto problemi con il download dell'App GoPro Webcam, il problema frustrante che sto rilevando come la maggior parte delle persone (da quel che ho letto) è che l'anteprima funziona ma la videocamera non viene rilavata da NESSUNA parte (Zoom, Skipe, G.Meet, Facetime, Fotocamera ecc), richiedo urgentemente indicazioni per la soluzione a questo inghippo, grazie.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @ipersuperplesca

Have you tried using the camera without the battery?

Instead of using the app, try accessing the streaming platform through a browser.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello!

I have new Mac Mini with M1 chip and Big Sur. I use GoPro Black 9 as a WebCam in Zoom and it worked fine until I updated the new Zoom version 5.4.9. That version supposed to be compatible with M1 but I cannot detect camera anymore. I guess GoPro WebCam needs an update now??

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @lassim1

Are you still getting the preview on the webcam app?

Would you be able to check if you have the Intel version of the Zoom app?

You may also check if it works when accessing Zoom through a browser.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi

I have the preview on webcam app. 

I have downgraded to Intel version 5.4.7 whichs still works. 

Browser version of Zoom cannot detect the Gopro webcam.

Thanks for helping!

Tourist

[ New ]
Hello @aragon1006

Do we have a solution for this??
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @lassim1

Is the camera on version 1.52?

Is it still working on the Intel version of the Zoom app?

Are you able to test it with other platforms?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
I have the same Problem. New Mac Mini with M1 chip and Big Sur. I use GoPro Black 9 as a WebCam in Zoom or via Chrome. Both options ar not possible anymore. I cannot choose the gopro as webcam. Only Facetime Cam is choosable. What's up here?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @sprygorge32261

Do you have the Intel version of Zoom?

Do you also have the latest Big Sur version?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

zoom: Version: 5.5.4 (13130.0228)

bigsur: Version: 11.2.2 (20D80) Apple M1 Chip

and i have the same problem with google chrome / google meet: Version 89.0.4389.72 (Offizieller Build) (arm64)

Tourist

[ New ]

I use BigSur on an Intel Mac. Used to be able to run the GoPro as a webcam using the app but since doing a fresh install of the OS, can't anymore. The webapp no longer recognizes my GoPro? I am unable to see the preview. A reinstall of the app didn't help. What's up?

Also, why can't we download the webapp on the Apple Store?

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, i have the same problems with my Apple Mini M1.

In short, i follow this issue from the start because i have bought this Mac from the beginning of the production/presentation of the product.

I have bought this camera for the main utility of GoPro and when i discover that i can use it like a videoconference camera i was excited, so i didnt buy an other camera.

This problem can be obviate downloading the Intel version of the app of Zoom and not the M1 dedicated version (only with Zoom, the other like Google Meet idk), i dont undestand this thing. An other advise that i can tell to the community is tha latest: it is possible in future  moment that your camera it will be not recognizable by Zoom. I remedy this problem eliminating the Zoom App and reinstall this one another time.

I hope that GoPro Family or anyway, the organization due to resolve this incompatibility, will solve the situation.

Bye 

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm not talking about Zoom etc. My issue is with the GoPro webcam app itself. It's proven to be complete rubbish.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi

The camera version is 1.52. Webcam version 1.0.224. MacOs 11.2. Mac Mini M1 2020. 

I'm still able to use the Intel desktop version 5.4.7 of Zoom. I cannot update to the new versions of Zoom. 

The camera is NOT compatible with 

- Microsoft Teams desktop or web

- Zoom web

- FaceTime

This is not what I paid for... 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same problem. I'm using a Hero 8 with a MacBook Pro M1 chip. Works with the webcam app in preview but no where else.

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the exact same problem! So frustrating 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I wish someone would fix this! I have the same problem and can only use the intel Zoom version to get it to work.

Tourist

[ New ]

@GoPro please fix this, it is the primary reason I purchased the camera.  Also to add to everyones frustrations I experience an issue where my monitor and camera are connected to a caldigit TS3+ hub and everytime when my computer goes into power saving mode, I have to restart the camera and webcam app because of errors. 

M1 Macbook Pro - 11.2.3

GP Webcam app - 1.0.244

Zoom - 5.6.1 - not showing

Teams -1.3.00.33671 only works with this hack - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/microsoft-teams-mac-os-client-is-not-recognizi...

Goto Meeting - 10.15.0 works

Google meet - never worked.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the details provided. @macstash

We'll have this shared with the team.

We'll post back for updates.

Regards,

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]
Let’s go Ej fix this! You can do it!
Tourist

[ New ]

Its not working on my Big Sur (11.2.3). Both the WebCam and the Play App is working. When connected to the computer via USB-C the camera states that it's 'Connected via USB' - but the Apps don't register that it's there. I did try to uninstall and try once more - but to no awail. can anyone assis?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @bobbyk721, @cjk61788, and @macstash. To verify, have you updated to version 1.1 of the webcam utility tool for Mac? 

Tourist

[ New ]

Yep. 1.1.319 - and I always have the latest OSx installed. I get the GoPro image in Zoom when I enter video settings but no image. Also the GoPRO WebCam can't connec to my HERO 9

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bobbyk721

Do you get the same when accessing Zoom through a browser instead of the app?

Please go over the steps on GoPro Webcam FAQ and Troubleshooting

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

That's not an option when the program is installed. When I try I only have the option to launch the installed App. But it would seem unrealistic that that would solve the problem as there is no connection from your app. I cant acess the HERO 9 from the computer, so if your APP can't its highly unlikly that suddently a 3. party APP can 😂

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi team, trying to install WebCam module on my iMac 2020, Big Sur 11.2.3. Afetr downloading, installing and rebooting - NO app icon appears in the top menu. Can't find it in Settings. Privacy or anywhere else. Please, advise.

Tourist

[ New ]

You didn't mention looking in your Applications folder which is where the app is installed.

Sightseer

[ New ]

same issue.

Macbook pro, intel based.

big sur. fully patched

latest MS teams, 

latest gopro webcam software

Camera has latest firmware

app icon appears in toolbar

preview does show video output

but does not appear as a camera in any of the apps.

MsTeams or Facetime.

I assume you need to sign your drivers. please fix.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

Ok after much testing here is where I am at....  The Camera/App is working with all video conferencing platforms except for Google Meet in safari - works in Chrome.  How, Every time my computer goes into screensaver or power saving mode the camera isn't recognized by the webcam app and I have to shut down the app, unplug the camera (powering down has occasionally caused a panic) and then plug back in power on. Now here is the strangest part... when I start up the webcam app it doesn't recognize the camera, I have to shut down app again and restart to get it to recognize camera and then it works.  To make sure the my caldigit isn't part of the problem I now plug the camera directly into the laptop. 

GoPro Webcam Version 1.1.319

Big Sur Version 11.3

Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.33671

Zoom version 5.6.4 

gotomeeting Version 10.16.0 Build 19598

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @mariustanya and @aragon1006, any updates to my previous message?  Also curious if others are still experiencing the same issues even after the latest webcam update?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @macstash

We do not have any information we can share but we'll let you know once an update is available.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I have a 2019 MacPro with Big Sur installed.

First time i used the webcam a couple months ago it worked... but since then, it does not recognize the camera.

Camera has version 2.50 installed, it is a Hero 8 black. I have made sure that the GoPro connect is enabled on the camera. 

My computer's OS was 11.2.3 and now i just updated it to 11.4. I have tried plugging directly into the computer with a USB C cable.  Computer shows the goPro is connected but the app does not.  When i plug i my HERO 7 black, it tells me its not compatible (which i understand doesnt work, but at least it knows that a camera is plugged in)

GoPro Webcam is 1.1.319

I have GoPro Webcam enabled in my Camera and Accessability areas of Mac System Preferences

Any help would be greatful!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @videoguy

Have you tried s different port/cable?

Would you be able to test the camera without the battery?

Check out the steps on GoPro Webcam FAQ and Troubleshooting

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for responding EJ.

Yes, i tried different ports/cables as well as taking out the battery.  Still no luck.

Any other ideas I can try?

David

Tourist

[ New ]

you have to add/enable the GoPro virtual network port:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-02 um 23.17.04.png