Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

GoPro VR Player does not play Cineform video from GoPro Fusion.

[ New ]

How to fix this? I do not want to use a ProRes.

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: GoPro VR Player does not play Cineform video from GoPro Fusion.

[ New ]

CineForm is not supporte natively by HighSierra. You cannot open CineForm Videos in Quicktime, you cannot import CineForm in Final Cut X.

But if you work with Adobe Products (where CineForm is the natively supported and prefered codec) like Premiere Pro, Media Encoder e.g. you can edit and Display CineForm without any problem.

From the Adobe Point of view CineForm is the preferred Codec because it's working on Mac and Windows.

When you have only Mac workflows and you want best quality ProRes422 is the best choice for stitching. The files are bigger but you can use/edit/view it in Premiere and Final Cut X.

Both codecs are with high quality and prepared for editing. You can use H.264 too but not if you want best quality.

If you still want to stick with CineForm there is a VLC CineForm Plugin, so you can play CineForm in VLC on MAc.

If you want to use GoPro VR Player 3.0 with CineForm you have to switch the Video Decoding Settings to "AV Foundation" than it works with CineForm on Mac too.

One more thing to keep in mind when you wotk on a Mac.

When you stitch with H.264 and you chosse 360 Sound (Ambisonic) you will have problems too. You need to set GoPro Video Player to Video Decoding Settings to "AV Foundation" too. But neither in QuickTime or in Final Cut X you will hear some sound.

Hope this helps a little... if not please ask! :-)

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

@sstyle - I just did a test render at 5.2K using the Cineform option and was able to play it with the GoPro VR Player. We've recently updated both the VR Player and GoPro Fusion Studio. If you haven't updated them yet, please give that a try.

If you have updated them and are still having issues, please give us some more details on the settings you're using and we'll try to track down what's going on.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hiker

[ New ]
@jefft hi, thank you. But I use the last version. But I forget one important detail - I'm trying to play this format on the Mac. Everything is perfect on windows, but on Mac - not
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

I'm on a Mac as well. What's your rendering process in GoPro Fusion Studio? Also, what error message are you getting when you play the file in VR Player?

Hiker

[ New ]
1) copy files from sd cards to the folder on my PC
2) add this folder into Fusion Studio
3) select the movie clip
4) press add to render queue
5) render all
6) copy the result file to the Mac and try to play

I get a error: failed to load media. But now I fixed this issue by changing backend video decoding mode
Tourist

[ New ]

CineForm is not supporte natively by HighSierra. You cannot open CineForm Videos in Quicktime, you cannot import CineForm in Final Cut X.

But if you work with Adobe Products (where CineForm is the natively supported and prefered codec) like Premiere Pro, Media Encoder e.g. you can edit and Display CineForm without any problem.

From the Adobe Point of view CineForm is the preferred Codec because it's working on Mac and Windows.

When you have only Mac workflows and you want best quality ProRes422 is the best choice for stitching. The files are bigger but you can use/edit/view it in Premiere and Final Cut X.

Both codecs are with high quality and prepared for editing. You can use H.264 too but not if you want best quality.

If you still want to stick with CineForm there is a VLC CineForm Plugin, so you can play CineForm in VLC on MAc.

If you want to use GoPro VR Player 3.0 with CineForm you have to switch the Video Decoding Settings to "AV Foundation" than it works with CineForm on Mac too.

One more thing to keep in mind when you wotk on a Mac.

When you stitch with H.264 and you chosse 360 Sound (Ambisonic) you will have problems too. You need to set GoPro Video Player to Video Decoding Settings to "AV Foundation" too. But neither in QuickTime or in Final Cut X you will hear some sound.

Hope this helps a little... if not please ask! :-)