Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: GoPro Studio crashes on Windows 10

I'm having this problem too. Crashes every minute or less since upgrading to Windows 10, even though it worked fine before. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, rolling back to QuickTime 7.7.6, running in Windows 7 compatibility mode, and nothing has worked.

my computer is up to date, as is my graphics card driver. Well above recommended system specs. This is really frustrating and seems to be a direct result of Windows 10. Please release an update!!

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you tried install the latest version of GoPro Studio 2.5.8 on your Windows 10 system. We just released a new update this past Thursday 3/3. Verfiy from there is the problem still occurs. When crashing, is the crashing occuring immediately when you launch the program or is it crashing at a particular Step?

If the application is still crashing, let's see if we can delete a specific file in order to reset GoPro Studio.

For the PC, you would need to browse to C://Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/GoPro. Please make sure to input <username> as your personal computer username.

The 'appsettings' file is in the GoPro folder at this location. Delete the file and re-launch GoPro Studio. This will enable GoPro Studio to reset and open up as if it was the first time. Your current projects should have no affect with the change.

Keep in mind that the AppData folder is a hidden folder by default. You need to choose to show hidden files and folders for this to be visible.

Windows 10

From Control Panel type "folder" into the search bar and select Show hidden files and folders. This will open the Folder Options window.
Then, click on the View tab at the top of the window.

In Advanced Settings, locate "Hidden files and folders." Select Show hidden files and folders.

Keep us posted on you results. 

Highlighted
Anonymous

@jasonc

Thanks for your reply.  I have tried reinstalling using your link and the error repeated. Same thing after deleting the appsettings file and re-launching.

Here are some more details on the error I'm getting:

When I'm in "view and trim" mode, I try playing back a video to create clips. The application will then crash after, on average, 1 minute or less of playback. It does not seem to matter whether I simply let the video play, jump around within it, create clips, etc--the crash will occur sooner or later, and long before I can get to Step 2. The crash message is as follows:

"gopro studio has stopped working
windows is checking for a solution to the problem"

then:

"a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available" (no solution is available if I select "debug")

This is not a hardware issue, because I've monitored CPU, memory, and graphics utilization and none of my assets are close to maxed by the video work going on at this point. Also, just to be clear, this error never occurred before I switched over to Windows 10, so it seems to be some sort of software compatibility issue.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @Anonymous,

I'll be following up with you over email to gather more information on your system specs.

Highlighted
Anonymous

I have the same problem, Windows 10 Swedish localization and language, everything updated, Quicktime 7.7.9, no special characters in the profile. In GoPro Studio the crash comes as soon as I select a file for import, i.e. I have added it for import so it is visible to the left, as soon as I click on it GoPro Studio crashes. The GoPro App does not start at all. The files are placed on a Western Digital USB3-connected disk, but I have also tested having a file on the local C: with the same crash as result. I also have a MacBook Air and it crashes also but not at the same step, there it is at the conversion step which goes on without any progress at all for a long time and then crashes. Before I upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 GoPro Studio worked ok. I have tested the current videos on another Windows 7 computer and there it works, but that is my work computer so not something I can use for my GoPro.

Let me know what details you want me to provide to help solve the problem

Highlighted
Anonymous

I am having this same problem.  Don't see Studio on the website available for download.  What is the plan to fix this?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm sorry that you couldn't find GoPro Studio on our website. We recently introduced GoPro App for Desktop that comes bundled with the latest version of GoPro Studio 2.5.8. You can download the bundle through the website

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 11.12.37 AM.png

Please check out this support article for more information on the difference between the two of them. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @Anonymous,

Since your Windows 10 system is setup with Swedish localization and language, I would highly recommend on creating a new USER account that has no special characters since GoPro Studio is limited with localization setups. The GoPro Studio team are aware of this localization request and they are working hard to optimize it. In the meantime, these special characters along the import, conversion, or export path could cause some crashing issues when editing along GoPro Studio. As a recommendation, I would advise to create a new user account, "GoPro", and test out the import process there. 

Please keep in mind, we just released a new version of GoPro App for Desktop and GoPro Studio yesterday. Test it out and verify from there if you have any other issues.