Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Anonymous

Re: GoPro Studio Software for windows 7

[ New ]

I finally decided to give VSDC a try. It is terrible. Not intuitive to use like Studio and also very unstable. I guess you get what you paid for with free software. Silly me for thinking my expensive camera would come with softyware to use it.

Anonymous

[ New ]

how about for windows 7   not 10

Explorer

[ New ]
Try DaVinci Resolve. It's a professional editor and it's free. It's very similar to Adobe Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro.
Tourist

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

how about for windows 7   not 10

see previous posts on this thread. Someone has been kind enough to post a link to a former version of this software which worked on Win 7, as myself, currently running vers PC2.5.7.549

Anonymous

[ New ]
Go pro studio previous version is working with Windows 7 but video vision are not fluent. I don’t think it’s matter of Pc. Do you have same problem?
Ths
Tourist

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:
Go pro studio previous version is working with Windows 7 but video vision are not fluent. I don’t think it’s matter of Pc. Do you have same problem?
Ths

Not exactly sure what you mean by "fluent"; perhaps fluid is a more commonly used expression for jerky playback of the footage. Most often this is a hardware issue associated with Video RAM, hardware RAM and hard drive speed.

Video manipulation is very demanding on PC resources. Are you running any background programs at the same time?

And programmers tend to write ever increasingly demanding power hungry applications. Times I wish I were back with Pinnacle 9 which would capture at lo-res and then recapture at full res only when assembling the final render

Anonymous

[ New ]

I mean jerky. I have 6 gb ram. No software in playback. Could it depend on 60fps video?

Tourist

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

I mean jerky. I have 6 gb ram. No software in playback. Could it depend on 60fps video?

With that much RAM I doubt it. Would doubt it is 60fps either, so at this point am stumped and would wonder where to look next, sorry

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thanks!

Explorer

[ New ]
6GB RAM is not very much and it's on the very low end for video editing. 8GB is really the lowest you should go and even that is going to be difficult. Studio is very resource intensive. In Step 2, make sure you have playback resolution set to 1/4 (quarter). It won't look great but will playback smoother. This won't effect the final output and will make the editing process easier.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I not a happy consumer, have windows 7 and gopro 5 

This discontinuation of Win 7 download is unacceptable and Im forced to buy a new computer and like windows 7

Hiker

[ New ]

Why the guys in gopro are so short minded is incredible, ok if where not the leading brand sure that will go bankrupt,

as you stated the only way is a legal acction

this stuff was made so can be friendly and easy to use not just the very opposite

they wont do a thing, they dont care for any, except if this affect sales and so there income

never liked gopro to bulky and clumsy but ok bought one and this guys dont even have the vision that can work with any software,

so all the stuff got rid of it as is is just that: crap, why on earth one has to buy a thing that creat a huge amount of problems just because they want ???

ok you buy a car but service is 1.500 km away and only attend to clients Tuesday from 10 to 12 am is somethig like this super inlogical

so if they want to be short minded an ddo all in that sense

enjoy your dowfall as have proved that you are not worth of nothing

Hiker

[ New ]

Listening,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nope

hearing ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe

care................................................nope

will care,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nope

Hiker

[ New ]

if you sell a hardware like this camera and before all was taken care yes lots of people jump in, all nice and easy now the guys that say that gopro is just a hardware manufacturer and no more the rest is not there problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, better grow up, if a company wants to sell and keep there clients they do that not the inverse why here many ok take it and go to lots of problems just because a desition of a couple of brain damaged that have not a clue ho to make things work, and cloused in there little world and impose things

just forget it this will go worst and worst and never will stop ,,,, check history in many electronic things if do things right super prosper people kill for them if not down the pit

Hiker

[ New ]

got rid of all ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now better, can do all that want how need not how others need,

so happy with out   them

try is a dream

Explorer

[ New ]

@kasiraki

The ignorance expressed in your post(s) is just too overwhelming to address them one by one.

Glad to hear you are happier now.  All the best!

Hiker

[ New ]

Same, so who is the ignorant

depends on the side of the coin that you want to be

the other part of your wishes ,,, thank yes a lot happier and all is logical

be cool

Anonymous

[ New ]

i just did a search on my old hard drive and found the older install file... im installing now. if it works and i am able to use i will post results.. i also will make that file available for anyone who might need it.. since gopro no longer cares about their past sales support. i think it's total BS that wont offer it as a legacy support software download.. here's to hoping it works so we can stick to the man... and not be force fed to update to windows 10..

Anonymous

[ New ]

ok .. the install worked perfect.. and im using it right now.. its version 1.4.0.2733... if anyone needs it i will setup a link to dropbox and hopefully its helps someone.. here is the link.. good luck

[Edit: Link Removed]

Anonymous

Re: GoPro Studio Software for windows 7 THEY CHose to kill support for it

[ New ]

Spent 5 min online chat with GoPro.   They NO LONGER support any Win7.   My $1000 worth of GoPro cameras, accessories are now basically worthless.   Amazing.   They will get no further investment from me.  Really, really disappointing business move on their part.

Hiker

[ New ]

welcome

Tourist

[ New ]

congratulations on finding this forum at least and as you will see there are many of us still choosing to use Win 7 and there are links for a version of the software which was supplied free to anyone who registered, not just gopro owners.

I am actually considering upgrading my editing software which was developed by AVID or Corel; not sure which as these two firms have combined and almost expecting some conflict regarding the version of Windows.

This is one of the costs of progress. As faster and dual/quad versions of processors are developed, the operating system is rewritten to embrace the newer opportunities.

Did I ever explain which version of Sony video camera I use? Very likely of interest to you but the manufacturer has never supplied me with any editing software nor would one expect this.

If you want a really good editor, look at final cut pro. Have a paramedic or good friend standing by with smelling salts when you see the price

Explorer

[ New ]
I have a couple versions of the Studio install files on my computer and the last released program on my computer. I never use them and haven't for a long time. Why, because Studio is not a very good video editor. With much better free programs like DaVinci Resolve available, I don't understand why anyone would. Even more surprising is when people talk about investing $1,000 in a camera and accessories but not being willing to invest in a proper video editor and/or editing computer. There are plenty of options out there. A simple Google search will bring up hundreds of articles listing and ranking video editing software and also necessary computer specs. GoPro Studio is not on those list and for good reason.

Back in 2011 Studio was a good option and it was awesome that GoPro spent millions of dollars to acquire the software and make it free to download and use. Over the years GoPro tried to keep Studio going but they were stuck with the inherent issues of the software and restrictions of it's design. As time went by and tech and OS's developed the amount of issues and complaints about the performance of Studio increased. The software was on life support with a very limited amount of people actively utilizing it.

When HEVC began to be utilized by GoPro and with Windows 10 for PC and Sierra for MAC being released, it no longer made sense to continue dump resources into the development of Studio. It was a program that would require too much work, both in development and Customer Service. It was a long time coming, but it was time for Studio to reach EOL.

This idea that GoPro owes anyone a custome built video editor is rediculous. Threatening to go to completitors because of the lack of a free full fledged editor by GoPro is laughable. There is no camera company offering this. Some include a 3rd party software that you could get without purchasing their camera, some offer a very basic crappy editor, and others offer nothing at all. Why would or should any camera maker invest in computer software when there are much better free alternatives already available? And why would anyone serious about video production use anything but a professional editor. Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro are probably the two most popular paid professional editors but DaVinci Resolve is equally good (perhaps even better at color grading) and it's free.

Personally, I use Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects. I have used DaVinci Resolve and if I didn't also use Lightroom, Photoshop, and other Adobe CC programs, I'd cancel my subscription and just use DaVinci.
Anonymous

[ New ]

thats nice.. they deleted my DL link for it.. what ever.. so much for legacy support.. no one is even asking for tech support for win 7.. just keep files available for anyone wanting to use uit with win7..  nthere is no cost for that.. no man hours.. it actually cost man hours to go through and remove the older win 7 stuff from there servers.. just BS.

Hiker

[ New ]

Perudo

Sorry that they did that, know that that takes time, your time that could be used in another thing, and you wanted to help people, super nice from your part ought to be in a Hi level in GoPro .... but you see only what is there

pity that did not see that before get rid of all my stuff, told to the guys that gave it and was not easy to find a place so some left them and go. if these so called guys would be the only action camera mmmmm maybe but there losing a lot and very fast,,,

want to say Thank you for all the guys that you helped

Be Happy

All the Best

Hiker

[ New ]
ask for a job in gopro,,,, they will give it to you ,,,, go
Anonymous

[ New ]

Thank you.

:)

Anonymous

[ New ]

It is such a shame GoPro refuse to acknowledge users with Windows 7, that will stop me buying any more GoPro equiment and I will be looking at different makers to replace my GoPro as GoPro are no longer a feasible option.

Learn the hard way GoPro, here's a retail fact. Every disgruntled customers tells 14 other people to go elsewhere. I am telling everyone I know not to buy GoPro products as they may well find themseves left in the lurch by a company that has little concern for its customers. I will put this on my YouTube channel so I will get a lose GoPro a lot more than 14 customers.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello FireHero,

Yes is a Shame to say the very least,, because apart of dead brain, and a lot more, specially inmature, yes got rid of what had, the odd thing is is a huge amount of people that are leaving gopro, bloggers, photographers, guy that work in many fields and use or used them, and all the rest of the normal mortals, and when they know how goprois treating the perons the ones that put all for the brand and enjoyed a lot all,, and the way they are ignored, mistreated and more that principle make then leave this company, if they would say ok we will migrate and give a time many ould say well,,, and a smaller % will drop, now is a lot, as is world wide still dont see it as the ones that do are the distributors, and when starts wont stop,,, one of the main things is service keep clients happy, do the extra mile for the clients, they put you there, they pay your salary, but this is just the opposit and with no maners at all, no education, knowlage of ho to run a company,,,, and a lot of etc,,,

Lots of guys that use this, say that e are wrong etc ,,, let them will see later ...

man if guys that do you tube and live from that and having so many suscribers leave this ??? many dont say it in public many do,, and all that started low and keep on growing, yes reach a pont where have to buy stuff to do better things, and they go for other brands,,, why you think

hope find a good cam, there many that are good or better no box type like there way of thinking,,,

all the Best be cool

Anonymous

[ New ]

Here's a reminder to everyone and every company. Be good to the people who you meet on the way up the ladder of success as they will be the same ones you meet on the way down. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Very true, simple and logical...... that they dont fallow.....

Tourist

[ New ]

Now we have the word from the philosopher

Explorer

[ New ]

All of this whining about not having Studio available is ridiculous, especially when you factor in @rockyflame00827 comments.

Sorry that you feel so hurt that GoPro isn't providing a full fledged desktop video editor.  You're not going to find one with any of the competitors either.  Even the software by Sony is a joke and mobile editing is where all of the camera makers are focusing their efforts.

Moving away from GoPro means compromising on video quality. Getting poorer video just so you can get a free editor makes little sense.  If you go to a competitor because you want different features of the camera, or because you think the camera itself is better, then that makes sense.  Doing it for a cheap underpowered editor designed by the manufacturer is just silly.  Especially considering there are so many editors available by actual software development companies whose sole business isn't making cameras.

If you want a professional desktop editor, use DaVinci Resolve.  It's one of the best editors available and it's free.  

If you want to throw out all of your GoPro gear and make YouTube videos to vent your frustration, so be it. Very few people really care about this. There are relatively very few even on this site.

Most people who use these action cameras just want a fast way to make videos to share, and the GoPro Quik and Splice mobile apps do this very well.  The people who do desktop editing are usually serious video editors who wouldn't waste their time with a program like Studio.  Adobe Premiere Pro, After Efffects, Final Cut Pro, DaVinci Resolve and even iMovie and VSDC are all better programs than Studio ever was.

You can keep coming back to this site and huff and puff about how GoPro has wronged you but it's not accomplishing anything.  Why don't you just get a proper editor and learn how to make videos without Studio? Perhaps it's cathartic for you to come here and vent, but it's not accomplishing a thing. Moving on to another competitor is fine, but if you want to make quality videos you'll still need to transition to a real video editor like those I mentioned above.

Hiker

[ New ]

I don't think the complaints on this thread are of the degree of quality of Quik as much as they are that Win7 users (a substantian user base) can't use those apps at all. If you don't need Quik, and there are readily available alternatives, then at least GoPro can tell us that, rather than simply "we don't support Win7, you're on your own." Why not help the customer find a good solution, especially if it is as easy as you say? Choosing not to help the customer is a choice worthy of customer's complaints, and it is a good basis on which to go to a competitor who is willing to help you.

I've dealt with airlines whose people say to frustrated passengers "hey, I can't control the weather!" And I've dealt with airlines who are working so hard to mitigate delays that are out of their control. Which ones get my business? That's the opportunity that GoPro seems to willfully ignore.

Explorer

[ New ]
I hear what you're saying, but the solution GoPro is really pushing are their mobile apps.

As far as desktop is concerned, you don't need Quik. Just transfer the video/photo files over to your computer via the USB-C cable or a USB/SD card adapter using File Explorer. Once you've done this, use any editor you wish. I guess it would be nice if GoPro spelled this out for new users of the camera, but it's really a pretty simple solution that should be readily apparent.
Hiker

[ New ]

It wasn't spelled out. Rather the instructions were merely: "Load Quik and start editing!" And when I raised the problem, the answer was "we don't support Windows 7." Maybe it shoud have been apparent, but I was left on my own, digging around for forums like this that I found via Google, not via GoPro. The impression that I had was that I had to use Quik to make it work. No guidance to do otherwise. I am a first time buyer in the digital video world, so I don't know how this stuff works. GoPro could choose to offer two or three sentences that could have helped me, but they didn't, and based on my experience they very much don't want to.

To take this a step farther, maybe GoPro wants to say "hey, we just can't compete in the editing business." Well, then at least make sure that your product can work seamlessly with major editors. I had an issue downloading files as you described, and their answer was "we don't support this error, call Microsoft" even thought the issue was in the GoPro side of the transfer. Its kind of like (not exactly like, but kind of like) saying "we have this cool car that we didn't design to work on standard roads, so if you have a problem, call the road company." Why not figure out what is causing the error, fix it on your end, or help the customer find the work-around? Even if it is not "my problem," it impedes your customer using and enjoying your product. In the technology business, good customer service and smart seamless design is the norm for companies that want to survive. Given recent business trends for GoPro, perhaps they should be listening.

Tourist

[ New ]

How many sound engineers does it take to change a lightbulb ???

Seems what has been said here is for the most part being ignored!!

I have owned so many Sony cameras but for stills am only up to my third or fourth Fuji compact.

Neither of these have come with anything like the most basic of software, and that only for the most basic of cataloguing.

Like other full time and semi professionals here have already stated, the hardware manfacturers make hardware, they MIGHT even write the firmware!! but they don't write the software as that is laregly for anyone serious a matter of personal preference. 

Based on the discourse regarding the DaVinci software, I've downloaded the free version just to see what it is like and whoooo hooo  it claims to need Windoze 10 to run but somehow it's running well on my Win 7 Pro. No time limit either but if I like it its likely to encourage me to pay for the full version; because in this world you get what you pay for. Heck, do you guys go out to work all day for free?? If so, who is paying your rent as it's not my responsibility.

And if you haven't got the relevance of the light bulb question?

Only electricians change light bulbs, not butchers, candlestick makers, 

Anonymous

[ New ]

BOLD FACE LIE! GET READY TO TAKE A HIT IN SALES WHEN THIS SPREADS AROUND!! BASICALLY A BAIT AND SWITCH!

Explorer

[ New ]
When what spreads around? This has been known for quite a long time now.
Tourist

[ New ]

is unwise to be so vague. Who are you actually accusing of untruths? 

Being creative sorts, one can expect the occasional outburst of emotion but then nobody gets a free lunch unless you get in line at the sandwich shop just before all the staff go home

Anonymous

[ New ]

Sr Mejor,  Ryan : Señor administrador ya que  uds y la banda de Microsoft , mercantilistas y Usureros quiere que los usuarios actualicen a la fuerza Windos 10, aquí haga clic aquí para descargar la versión antigua de Quick Go Pro para Windows 7, que no tiene que prestar atención al servicio lo hare yo:

https://gopro-studio.softonic.com/

GoproEstudio2.0.0.285-.PNG
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous,

That isn't a safe download page. 
There might be some added software on that link. 

-Jay 

Explorer
Anonymous

[ New ]

Jeff (GoPro Community Manager) has provided a link which does not do what he says it does. If Studio >is< provided with the Quik download, it's not evident to me, and the online documentation at the link Jeff provided doesn't support his claim that Studio is provided or that Windows 7 software is available for desktop users.

This is an important issue. GoPro would do well to provide user-friendly support for Win7 and make it easy for a user to determine exactly whether or not Win7 software can still be obtained from GoPro. If it's not available from GoPro, then Gopro should provide a reliable and obvious link to a safe download source for Win7-compatible software. Win7 CUSTOMERS who buy GoPro products deserve to be treated inclusively by GoPro. (Unless GoPro is subtly trying to tell us that GoPro doesn't want us to buy GoPro products.)

Explorer

[ New ]
Jeff posted that before Studio was discontinued.
Tourist

[ New ]

if memory serves me correctly there were a few people with an installable version of GoPro Studio for Windoze 7 that are willing to pass the program on. Otherwise, I stil have the installation zip file. There were two characteristics most pertinent to this program, namely the fish eye correction and some pretty cool slo mo tweening if I recall correctly, at least thats my excuse

Anonymous

[ New ]

Rocky, I'd definitely be interested in that! I was unaware this was an issue to so many until I needed to format my computer due to a virus. That's when I was sadly mistaken to think that the software was still available. The time lapse, and slo-mo were awesome and easy to use. This isn't an item I use all the time, but when I do, I want it to work, and be easy to use. I really like how 'flux' helped make slo-mo so smooth. Would you be willing to share Rock?

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi There,

Please email me the link that I am can to download Quick software for win 7.

I am frustrated with this product...

Thanks,

Mohammad

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous,

There are some links posted above this forum. 

You may also try to use other free thirdparty software such as VSDC http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor/download

Regards,

-Jay 

Explorer

[ New ]
@Anonymous

Quick for desktop isn't needed to transfer media, update your camera, or edit videos. You're better off using a free 3rd party editor it the Quik mobile app.

VSDC video editor works with HEVC files and is much more flexible than Quik for desktop.

For a free professional grade editor, DaVinci Resolve is the best by far. You may need to convert some of your videos with Handbrake first as I don't believe it supports HEVC (4K/60, 4K 4:3/30, 2.7 4:3/60, 2.7/120, and 1080/240).

Another very cool free editor is HitFilm Express. It will allow you to add special effects easily.

Lastly, there is an editor called Shortcut that looks like it might work out well. I haven't used it yet, but I've heard good things.

If you haven't used a non-linear editor before it can be a little difficult at first. If you stick with it and check out the thousands of YouTube videos teaching you how to use them, you can quickly become very proficient and be making awesome videos in no time. You'll definitely be able to make better, longer, and more professional videos than what Quick for desktop can do.