Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
GoPro

Re: GoPro Quik in Mac OSX 10.14 (Mojave Beta) no longer pulls in media. Quik will need an update?

[ New ]

Hi @thadeubrito

You may use an SD adapter for now.

Here's how you can manually transfer the files:

How to Import Camera Files to a Computer - Mac

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

Re: GoPro Quik in Mac OSX 10.14 (Mojave Beta) no longer pulls in media. Quik will need an update?

[ New ]

I've been having the same issue  - is there a fix yet please

Sightseer

[ New ]

Updated to Mojave two days ago and now I'm having the same issue. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi Same problem,

I import the GoPro footage to Quik on my mobile and then plug my mobile in to my Mac and download the footage to photo's app on my Mac and then use iMovie to edit 👍
Tourist

[ New ]

Yah exactly what everyone wants to do - buy a USB-C SD Card adapter, turn off the GoPro, remove it from the housing it sits in, wrestle open the bottom hatch, pull out the card, transfter the files, then put the card back in, put it back in the mount, and turn on the camera - every time.  Very effecient! 

This is why I just film with my iPhone now, it takes significantly better footage than my Hero 6 Black anyways.

Sightseer

[ New ]

And dont forget the inevitable "forget to put the card back in the GoPro" which you only discover when you are trying to use the GoPro....

Tourist

I understand the problem...

[ New ]

This is not really a GoPro issue at all, though it is imperative that GoPro resolves this issue immediately.

Mojave has added security features to keep APPS from accessing your camera and mic, for privacy reasons. GoPro falls under the category of "Camera".

It is this layer of security thati s throwing GoPro for a loop and they should be communicating to us as to how to provide access to their cameras. Apple, likewise, should be issuing statements as well.

Parallels for the Mac already was aware of this issue and is on the list of apps that can access cameras. If at any time, I could go to preferences and disallow Parallels from accessing my cameras. I can also hand off my GoPro to any of my Virtual Machines and import the files automatically that way by downloading and installing the Windows Desktop App.

GoPro, I don't know why you haven't figured this out. It only took me 14 minutes to realize what was happening. I paid attention to the install screens and saw where Apple was touting this new layer of security.

The only changes you need in your App is to be added to the "safe list" to access cameras.

Tourist

Re: I understand the problem...

[ New ]

This most certainly is a GoPro issue.  GoPro have an Apple developer account just like all other developers.  GoPro get e-mails notifying of new OS's and access to the pre-releases just like all other developers.  GoPro has every opportunity to test it's very limited set of apps on the new OS.  While some features catch companies off-guard.. this is gross negligence on the part of GoPro developers.  This isn't some weird corner-case feature...  this is basic foundational functionality of their primary app.

I also can't correlate what you described the issue to be, with the users complaining that some gopro models work, while others don't.   We can all hope it's something this simple, but if it is, it is an even worse black eye for GoPro.  This insight into how GoPro manages their affairs has prompted me to try out other action cams and so far I've been pleasantly surprised.

Tourist

No need to argue over this...

[ New ]

I have already sent GoPro a private message regarding what they need to do in order to fix this situation.

But let's keep a cool head, shall we?

Prior to the update, a month prior actually, maybe longer I could no longer use Photos to import my GoPro video directly off the camera. Suffice it to say, finder - I could never get to pull anything off of the camera. Image Viewer, I learned about after "Photos" app no longer worked and I was okay with that. Still, I refused to download any GoPro software to bring in my videos.

No worries.

I update to Mojave.

I can no longer use Image Viewer (Apple Product) to access media on the GoPro (It sees camera, but not media)

I attempted "Photos" app again (Apple Product) - I cannot access the media on the GoPro

I downloaded (ugh) the GoPro importer for Mac - It too, failed

So how is it that GoPro (whom ya'll claim do not work with) is able to change the software code in the OS to NOT see GoPro cameras?

The software that GoPro produces is nothing more than a program like Apple's "Photos" and the "Image Viewer" which both should be able to import from camera devices, including phones. Right?

That's not to say that GoPro is off the hook, but come on!!!! Let's not go into this "I hate GoPro" and "I am going to go buy another camera because of this" -  yeah, it is a mess but it was working fine BEFORE any of us UPDATED what? The camera? Noooo. Mojave!

SO - On my iMac, I created a folder on the local drive for importing. I downloaded the Windows version of the GoPro importer and installed it in Parallels in my Windows 10 VM. I opened up the app and configured the lcoation of my import folder. Then, I connected my GoPro 6 and can't see the camera. I tell Parallels I want GoPro to be controlled by Windows 10 VM and seconds later, there's my GoPro and all my media files. I choose import. I switch back to the Mac and there are my files, neatly organized. Sweet.

So... after all of this, I am actually grateful because I really love the GoPro importer over using any of the native Mac apps to bring in the videos. Yeah, it sucks a bit to import using WIndows but it works.

Most of ya'll don't have a Windows VM and I get that, and I am like you, don't want to remove the micro SD card from my camera.

SO let's all come to an agreement here that it isn't ALL GoPro - 

GoPro screwed up - indeed - and I am sure heads will roll once someone at the top understands the problem.

Apple screwed up - When their own APPS like Photo and Image Viewer can't import the videos, either and for not educating us, the consumer, on how to ADD these apps to the list of authorized apps to access the cameras and mics.

Parallels didn't screw up - they made sure that their software is added to access the cameras, mics, and other devices.

Tourist

[ New ]
Moral of the story, don’t upgrade your OS until you get the green light from GoPro. Oh, but the don’t even test in new OS’s. This scenario is like writing a web app that only supports IE8, God forbid you have a modern day browser.
Tourist

Latest Update.....

[ New ]

Okay, so here's the scoop....

We, as consumers on the Mac, can't add an app to the approved list from the security settings. It has to originate from within the app itself, and THEN once we "approve", then we can manually disapprove the app from access.

So, right now, the "Photos" app and the "Image Capture" app that we could've used in the past, don't ask these questions (these are Apple APPS), so Apple is not even in compliance!

I just opened my TeamViewer and played around in the settings and chose the camera/microphone (within the app) and then, it asked me if I wanted to give Teamviewer access, which I did. Then I hopped over to my security settings for camera and microphone, and there it was! So now, I have TWO apps that I can give access to or take away access. Still, no GoPro.

Funny thing is, in the Security part within Apple, there is an option for photos too, but the Photos App doesn't ask if it is okay to give security rights to view its own photos or not!!!

It's like Apple half-baked this feature and it can be very confusing. I have read articles where those who have previewed Mojave had commented that some Apps may break because of this rule.

Well, here we are! So there is NOTHING that we, as consumers can do, regarding this situation because Apple decided to prevent the consumer from interfering with the security process and sadly, this feature isn't even fully done yet! Of course, Apple made sure to include the iPad and the iPhone - but nothing else. There is NO WAY to turn off access to these devices based on the security rules that Apple is now heaping on us.

Nomad

Re: I understand the problem...

[ New ]

@spirystorm70516 wrote:

This is not really a GoPro issue at all, though it is imperative that GoPro resolves this issue immediately.

Mojave has added security features to keep APPS from accessing your camera and mic, for privacy reasons. GoPro falls under the category of "Camera".

It is this layer of security thati s throwing GoPro for a loop and they should be communicating to us as to how to provide access to their cameras. Apple, likewise, should be issuing statements as well.

Parallels for the Mac already was aware of this issue and is on the list of apps that can access cameras. If at any time, I could go to preferences and disallow Parallels from accessing my cameras. I can also hand off my GoPro to any of my Virtual Machines and import the files automatically that way by downloading and installing the Windows Desktop App.

GoPro, I don't know why you haven't figured this out. It only took me 14 minutes to realize what was happening. I paid attention to the install screens and saw where Apple was touting this new layer of security.

The only changes you need in your App is to be added to the "safe list" to access cameras.

This is a gopro issue.

SOme cameras work other do NOT.

Ie session does, hero 7 does.

hero 6 does not.

GOPRO were told about this back in july and get beta copies of os.

Why they have not moved on this I dont know but its getting people upset and frustrated.

Tourist

[ New ]
Is there a work around to load footage ?
Tourist

[ New ]
The workaround is to downgrade your OS until GoPro gives you the green light to upgrade. I’m sure they have their priorities right, and they are fixing the next version of GoPro to work with Mojave....in hopes you’ll buy it. Then, a few months later they’ll release a fix to legacy GoPro users. Expected release for us is Nov. 2019.

Happy GoPro’ing
Tourist

[ New ]

The work around is to stick the micro SD card into the reader slot in your Mac or if you are like me, use Parallels and import in via your Windows 10 VM or even Linux, for that matters. It is extemely maddening, but be patient.

Tourist

[ New ]
I am done patienting
Tourist

Re: No need to argue over this...

[ New ]

@aberdeenmeadows wrote:

I can no longer use Image Viewer (Apple Product) to access media on the GoPro (It sees camera, but not media)

I attempted "Photos" app again (Apple Product) - I cannot access the media on the GoPro

I downloaded (ugh) the GoPro importer for Mac - It too, failed

So how is it that GoPro (whom ya'll claim do not work with) is able to change the software code in the OS to NOT see GoPro cameras?

Like I mentioned earlier, Android File Transfer works for importing the files from GoPro. I just would rather not have to use yet another program to import files from the GoPro.

I still wouldn't mind the whole idea of a free upgrade from Hero 6 to 7... It was a more expensive camera than the new one is, afterall...

Tourist

Wouldn't mind the free upgrade from 6 to 7 as well!!!

[ New ]

For me, I am able to use Windows 10 VM to transfer my files but what irritates me using Windows VM (Or any Windows for that matter), is that when I transfer videos they take on the transfer date and time whereas the Mac retains the file creation date and time. Therefore, the GoPro utility has to create folders to separate out by day, which is nice but still... come on Microsoft!!!!!

So now, I have to process the files immediately so I can merge the files into one and convert them to HEVC to save file space.

The Hero 7 NOW has the ability to shoot all modes as HEVC which would save me a lot of rendering time!

I updated my Mac on Monday and had these problems:

• Photos App not able to retreive GoPro videos (unresolved)
  • Image Capture App not able to retreive GoPro Videos (unresolved)
  • GoPro Quick App - installed but still unable to retreive GoPro videos (unresolved)
  • Clacking sound on the internal Fusion Drive (Resolved)
    • Now, it is whisper quiet
  • VM's - Mint - Linux - 20-40 seconds after login screen shows before allowing for input (resolved)
    • Internet no longer working in the VM (resolved)
  • VM's - Windows 10 - a minute after login screen shows before allowing for input (resolved
    • Once logged in Windows, slow and sluggish (resolved)
  • Overall slow getting around the Mac (resolved)

So finally, yesterday, everything but the gopro started working a lot better and even more efficient before Mojave.

GoPro did suggest rebooting the Mac in the mode that resets the USB ports and that should resolve the issue and I have not tried that yet. GoPro also suggested for anyone having any issues whatsoever with transferring their video to call them, and they will help address the situation. My only concern is that they will spend 1/2 hour only to end up feeling resolved by manually taking the micro SD card out of the camera and placing it within the Mac which as most people have already expressed, they aren't wanting to do that and I don't blame them.

Tourist

Re: Wouldn't mind the free upgrade from 6 to 7 as well!!!

[ New ]

@aberdeenmeadows wrote:

For me, I am able to use Windows 10 VM to transfer my files but what irritates me using Windows VM (Or any Windows for that matter), is that when I transfer videos they take on the transfer date and time whereas the Mac retains the file creation date and time. Therefore, the GoPro utility has to create folders to separate out by day, which is nice but still... come on Microsoft!!!!!

So... I've had it both ways in W10... Some files I extracted in May had the proper recorded dates, while others I exported last month had the date I extracted them.

GoPro did suggest rebooting the Mac in the mode that resets the USB ports and that should resolve the issue and I have not tried that yet. 

That was one of the first things I tried to do... No luck

Sightseer

Re: Wouldn't mind the free upgrade from 6 to 7 as well!!!

[ New ]

There is an obvious solution to this, give everyone affected a year of GoPro Plus so that the files sync up with cloud and then hopefully those will be available in the desktop app, no? 

I dont understand why GoPro is being so cheap and irresponsible about it, their products cost a lot so you expect them to work? 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same problem for me. I cannot use GoPro at all (there is no sense if I cannot transfer files to my PC for editing). I have new MacBook 2018, which means I cannot transfer files via SD, apps do not work, Image Capture sees camera but no files. The worst is that we dont know when its going to be fixed. Dear GoPro please provide us with temporary solution while you are fixing it. Or Plus access or anything else, so we can continue using GoPro! 

Hope for your understanding,

Alexandra

Tourist

Temporary Fix

[ New ]

For those with a Mac, and don't have an SD Card slot or not wanting to use the SD Card slot, no worries. Go to the APP Store and downloate Parallels LITE - once you do that, you can INSTALL LINUX for free - choose MINT and you will be able to transfer your video PLUS have a cool OS to play in.

I mean, when I bought my first Mac, I didn't trust Apple to always be there for me, so I installed Parallels and have always ran Windows alongside my OS. I don't think I would ever trust Apple as my only source. Not be arrogant here, but Apple (And Microsoft and GoPro) aren't perfect! 

Hope this helps and not flame!

Sightseer

Re: Temporary Fix

[ New ]

This is still not working for Mac as well as i tried on Windows OS after installing in Virtual Box. Still it is not working.

Regards.

John Karter

Microsoftlivesupport

Nomad

[ New ]

@mlscom wrote:

This is still not working for Mac as well as i tried on Windows OS after installing in Virtual Box. Still it is not working.

Regards.

John Karter

Microsoftlivesupport

I suspect that the issue is also needing a camera firmware update as well.

sessions & hero 7 work as is.

Tourist

[ New ]

New update from Apple for Mojave appears to have solved the issue with the Hero 6. Just updated my Macbook Pro and it now sees the Hero 6.

GoPro

[ New ]

Awesome @kjdaco,

We'll check that. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

-Jay 

Tourist

Thanks for the update on the fix...

[ New ]

I won't be able to try connecting my GoPro until Saturday, but will do the Mojave update tonight when I get home. Thank you for providing this valuable nugget of information.

Virtual Box solution from another user - didn't work at transferring the files from the camera. Not sure why - Not familiar with Virtual Box - only familiar with Parallels and there is an option to pass the GoPro through to Windows 10 only. I would assume Virtual Box would do the same?

I dunno... I like using Parallels even though it costs a lot of money each year. It allows me to pass through devices and prevents the Mac OS to have access to whatever I choose.

I am happy that Apple has fixed their bug in the OS.

Tourist

Re: Thanks for the update on the fix...

[ New ]

I can confirm that the problem now has been resolved after the last update for Mojave 10.14.1 (18B75)

I am very happy i can connect my Karmagrip and Gopro 6 cam and import files through the Goproquick app

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone, 

Please check on your end if updating your Mac to the latest OS (Mojave 10.14.1 (18B75) clears the issue. Let us know how it goes. 

Thank you fro the update, @swiftgorge2m and @kjdaco

Best regards, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi all, I just updated my MacBook to the latest Mojave version and now everything works as expected!!! Smiley Happy Thank you all for the temporary workarounds.  

Tourist

[ New ]

The update to 10.14.1 fixed things for me too.

Tourist

[ New ]
If the update truly does work, GoPro needs to get its money back from its developers that have been “working on a fix”. This is a joke.
Tourist

[ New ]

Could you advise how can we do next?  

macOS Mojave Version 10.14

gopro quik version: 2.7.0.874screenshot.jpg

Nomad

[ New ]

@du5t6reak wrote:

Could you advise how can we do next?  

macOS Mojave Version 10.14

gopro quik version: 2.7.0.874screenshot.jpg

UPDATE mojhave to 10.14.1

Nomad

[ New ]

The problem fixed with macOS 10.14.1 update.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yeah, it works after upgrading to 10.14.1 ...OMG, I should come earlier.

Thanks.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hey everyone its FIXED !!! 

OMG, for those of you still having issues make sure that : 

1) upgraded to latest mojave version on your mac

2) using the ORIGINAL cable of your goPRO

3) plugging the cable directly in your macbook or so ( do nott go through usb hubs )

Good luck YEYYYYY I CAN SYNC MY FILES !

Spoiler
Smiley Very Happy
GoPro

[ New ]

Awesome! Thank you everyone for following through the recommended fix and for confirming resolution. Stay stoked!

Tourist

[ New ]

I am having the same problem.

Tourist

[ New ]

@grayshore46134 wrote:

Same here.  

What can we do while waiting for the update?

Nomad

[ New ]

@grayshore46134 wrote:

The problem is mojave, update to 10.14.1

this fixes it.

Nomad

[ New ]

The problem is mojave, update to 10.14.1

this fixes it.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, upgrading fixed it.  Thanks.

Tourist

[ New ]

J'ai installé la version 10.14.1 mais j'ai toujours le même problème Smiley Mad

Sightseer

[ New ]
Hi guys, any update yet about this. Application is recognized, I removed the app and re-downloaded thinking that it will fix the issue but it did not. I have a project to make and this made me slow down. It was easier before the Mojave upgrade.

Please advise.

Thank you.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @epicdusk33428

Were you able to update your Mac OS to 10.14.1?

We have confirmation from several customers that the updated resolved the issue.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi everybody,

I updated the last version of mojave 10.14.1 and i use the original cable to connect my gopro on my macbook,

BUT i always have the same problem with GoPro Quik...

I only have Thunderbolt port (USB-C) on my mac, so i need to use an adapter ! How can i do to find a solution, please ??

Thanks !!

Capture d’écran 2018-10-14 à 15.02.16.png

Capture d’écran 2018-10-14 à 15.02.16.png
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @royalvista55325

We have received several confirmations from customers that the recently release version (10.14.1) clears out the issue with Quik for Desktop.

Have you tried to uninstall/ reinstall the application after the update was done?

Thanks!

Ej

Nomad

[ New ]

Does fix problem.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same issue here, and I don't have a dongle USB-C with SD Card Reader, so I can't use my GoPro :( So sad GoPro.....

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 09.22.51.png