Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro Quik fails to import all files

I shot a time lapse of the meteor shower last night, a total of 4409 pictures according to my camera.

Quik imported less than 2000 when it began to initialize its format on my memory card. So I immediately disconnected the camera and checked my import destination, sure enough it had failed to import all the photos: and more shockingly not ONE of the RAW files was imported.

I put the memory card into an SD Adapter and reviewed it in file explorer... the Quik app did in fact fail to recognize my remaining .jpgs and ALL of the RAW files. So I'm manually importing them via file explorer now.

I'm quite disappointed in this software failure; it did not recognize or import RAW photos from my timelapse, and was only able to recognize <50% of the .jpegs taken. This is a serious issue; if it was not for having experienced this exact problem with Quik and timelapse photo imports before, I could very well have walked away and lost over half of the pictures taken when Quik claimed it finished importing and began deleting files.

I am running ver. 2.6.2.770, which appears to be the most current version according to the download page on GoPro's website.
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Quik fails to import all files

Hello @mazul981

Great to know that you have the latest version of Quik for desktop installed on your computer. Quik does not import Raw files. When you recorded using Time Lapse with the Raw format on, there were actually two files (of the same shot) recorded - one in .GPR (raw) and the other in .JPG. Quik only imports the .JPG files and the only way to get the .GPR files to your computer is to use an SD card adapter and locate the files with your computer's file explorer. This is probably why you observed that Quik only imported about 50% of the total number of files. 

It could be that your previous time lapse recordings were not captured with the Raw format on, the reason why the issue was observed only recent;y. If this is not the case though, please let us know so we can help further. This article discusses in more detail the RAW format. Feel free to post back for any other concerns or questions. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

Odd, Quik has imported my RAW photos from non-time lapse photography sessions in the past.

However, no, Quik did not recognize half of the jpeg images shot during the meteor shower.  In total it only imported just over 1900 of the 4409 jpeg images captured.

Highlighted
Tourist

I've spent the better part of this morning moving every other file from the actual microSD card to extract all the .jpeg files and putting them in the time-lapse folder which they belong in.

So I am 100% certain that Quik failed to recognize over half of the .jpeg photos.

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Glad to hear back from you, @mazul981. It is indeed odd for Quik for desktop to not recognize all the jpeg images. This does not have to do with not having enough space on your computer, right? Did you ever get an error message on Quik associated with the issue?Which SD card are you using? Is it one of the recommended cards for GoPro cameras? See if formatting the card will get rid of the issue. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

I use a 4TB external hard drive as my master archive for all my footage, there's plenty of space available on it still so I'm certain that's not the issue.

Quik never provided an error message when importing; during import the number of files were increasing on both sides of the fraction (i.e., it would read 120/1000, then jump up to 240/1500, etc.), which I have seen it do before.

I am using a Samsung 128GB EVO microSDXC UHS-I/U3 Memory Card.  I have only ever experienced import issues when I am importing long time-lapse shots, and has occurred regardless of which memory card I am using.  I will certainly be disabling the auto-delete after import after this experience, I got lucky and managed to not lose any frames.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @mazul981

Samsung EVO is not on the list of our recommended cards.

I suggest for you to test your camera with one of the recommended cards and see if it make's a difference.

As listed on the link shared:

RAW format is available only for the Photo capture mode and only when Wide Dynamic Range is turned off. RAW Format is not available when using Continuous photo mode (i.e., holding down the Shutter button to capture multiple photos until released) or when in Linear field of view.

Feel free to post back for updates.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello,

I just had similar issue:

GoPro Quik Desktop (ver 2.7.0.945) would only partially import files from GoPro Hero 7 Black (v. 1.51), ignoring few hundgred most recent videos and files. After taking the SD card out and inserting directly into the PC, GoPro Quik Desktop immediately recognised that there are still outstanding files to import and completed import without any problems. So it looks that the issue is isolated to Camera to PC imports.