Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: GoPro Quik, 3 Minute Videos

@bluevista27552 

Have you considered using a proper video editor on your computer?  While it's certainly possible that GoPro will come out with a new desktop editor, I doubt you will see much change in the current Quik for desktop as it uses pre-cut and beat defined music.  The way the software is designed, the only way to get longer videos is to release more music at pre-defined lengths.  There is no flexibility.

If GoPro is designing a new desktop editor, hopefully it is at the low end of their priorities as it's really not needed.  I think that the customers will be much better served with a cloud solution.  Considering that anyone can download a free professional editor like DaVinci Resolve really makes using the Quik Desktop editor just for people who want a simple and fast way to make short videos synced to music.  And for this, it does perform it's function.  For those who want more, there are free solutions available that are created by software companies that specialize in video editing software.  Clearly GoPro would be foolish to dump resources into competing against them.  Perhaps if the company continues to be profitable they will do the same as they did with GoPro Studio and the Quik mobile app and just purchase a desktop video editing software from another company and throw their label on it.

Highlighted
Hiker

I think DanielR is missing, is that when I purchased my Hero5, the ability to easily edit the desktop software, with all analytics etc, was one of the key deciding factor. At that time GoPro offered it. It worked.

Since then I have bought a 360 camera. It wasn't the GoPro as (apart from many other issues) it had a very poor desktop editing suite. Garmin's VIRB Edit is far superior, and a better camera.

That is the point. When we purchased these cameras, there was a very good desktop editing suite, GoPro then withdrew it.

Highlighted
Explorer

I'm not sure what software you're talkin about, but it certainly isn't GoPro Studio.
Highlighted
Hiker

Using a "proper" video editor on your computer doesn't get you some of the functionality promised by GoPro (gauges, etc.) The workarounds (pulling the GPS info, loading into VIRB software) don't always work. I don't expect GoPro to create a full-featured video editor, but surely an editor that can handle longer clips and use the metadata isn't too much to ask. Well, I guess it is, as it hasn't happened in years, and GoPro won't even make Quik work with the HEVC files its cameras have been making for years. The company's financial troubles have clearly put software development last in line for investment. Presumably, they've taken the temperature of their market and found that users who want better editing, and/or guages, or to use HEVC, etc. are in the minority, and not worth the cost.

It would be nice if GoPro were more up-front about this on the marketing side so you'd know what you were getting when you buy the camera. Close to best-in-class on camera features, but worst-in-class software and support.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Come on GoPro lets get it together - 60sec isnt long enough for time lapse videos. WTF are you thinking ? The old Go Pro Studio makes this quik crap look pathetic. 

I just bought a 7 and am thinking that it may not be as good as it use to be. 

Rather dissapointed !

Highlighted
Sightseer

Same here, just bought the GoPro 7 and came back from holidays with ton of footage. Now i just realised that the video can only be 60 secs long....wtf GoPro?!
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @snowyjump64434

You may want to use Quik for mobile or other editing applications if you wish to produce an edit longer that one minute.

Programs to View and Edit Videos

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Yep it’s not cool. It wouldn’t be hard to give us 3 mins at least