Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

Re: GoPro Quik, 3 Minute Videos

[ New ]

That's good to hear, but also a generic answer. I know you can't give details on what's happening behind the scenes, but the quik desktop app has been negeleticed. I've had a gopro representative tell that the companies focus is on mobile apps, which is a mistake in my opinion. I mean I get it, but I don't agree with it. Nick has even stated that software is what will drive the future of gopro. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

thats not an answer.

Explorer

[ New ]
Unlike the mobile app, Quik for desktop has songs that require a corresponding DAT file containing the beat cut and audio length. This is a simplified explanation, but basically, every song must be specifically coded.

You're not going to get the same flexibility with the desktop app as you do with the mobile app unless they rewrite the entire program (which may or may not be in the works). Sure, they could add a few two minute or three minute songs... But then people will be asking for five. Will they do this? Perhaps. But remember, you will be stuck with whatever song(s) they choose to code for. Again, the program does not adapt to the song, it's preprogrammed in the corresponding DAT file.
Sightseer

[ New ]
No, it's infuriating.
Hiker

[ New ]

So I just purchased a GoPro Hero 5 Black to create videos of my commute and found out just now that the official software for GoPro can only make 60s videos. Seriously why??? Why limit to 60s?

I don't care about the fancy music, I'm fine not having any, or I would rather use my own. One thing I was really excited about was using the gauges for the GPS route and speed, however what's the point of having all that info on a 60s video? I'm seriously considering returning this back to Costco.

Explorer

[ New ]
You'll want to cut the videos into clips with gauges. Don't go into the create mode, which is to create a Quik video.

Once you have your clips created, use a program to stitch them together like VSDC Video Editor or DaVinci Resolve. Both are free.

You can also use Race Render which makes very good videos using the GPS and gyroscope data.
Hiker

[ New ]

So on a 30min video, I would have to cut it into 30 parts and then join them again?

Hiker

[ New ]

Okay my mistake, I saw a video on youtube and now I understand how to enable the gauges and then export the videos so that I can use iMovie.

Explorer

[ New ]
Glad you found it. For anyone else reading this post, you don't go into the Quik video editing (this would allow 60 min max with music). Just click on the trim tool, add guages, and save as a new clip.

Anonymous

[ New ]

so any update to the 3 or 5 minute videos with go pro quik?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

We don't have any update yet. 

You may try to use other third party software for now as an alternative. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]

booooooo. quik desktop is WAY overdue for an update. Its sad when i pay for a feature that's suppose to work with said software and it doesn't. Cloud storage was one of the main selling point for me when plus was launched. I still have issues upoading files to the cloud. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I dont understand how is it possible that the Quik app for mobile allows users way more options than the Desktop version. That doesnt make any sence at all! When are you guys going to fix this useless desktop software?? Just in this thread alone you have a bunch of unhappy users. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Any ETA for this? Will the Quik desktop get *any* updates in the next couple of months?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @darthvader007

We don't have any updates yet or estimated release date about the 3 minutes+ videos. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Anonymous

[ New ]
Jeff if you have hear this feed back before why has it been 18 months and still GoPro only offers useless software for a 60 second video and GoPro studios is nowhere to be found anymore. Do most of your customers purchase independent software?
Sightseer

[ New ]
I purchased my camera when the old software was available. Then when GoPro discontinued it i had to subscribe to Adobe Premiere. This is just another reason why GoPros stock is 5 dollars and not 80 right now. Poor customer service and decreasing rather than increasing features in their products.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous

We do consider all suggestions provided. We just don't know what specific changes will be included on the next release of the update.

As advised, please continue to check out website for updates.

Regards,

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Realmente é uma coisa que eu estranhei muito nessa versão mais recente do programa de edição.

Vi que alguns usuários acabaram migrando para outros aplicativos, como o Adobe Premiere, mas, meu computador nem suporta uma boa utilização desses aplicativos mais pesados.

O app de celular ainda é melhor que o desktop.

Acabo utilizando apenas o aplicativo, ao invés de usar a versão de desktop. Minha sugestão, para alguns casos, é fazer uma pré-edição no splice (removendo partes indesejadas) e, depois, com os vídeos editados, monto um novo vídeo no Quik.

Mas, é lamentável mesmo esse transtorno. Espero que melhorem.

Obrigado!

Anonymous

[ New ]

I agree.  more than 60 seconds is available with cellphones.  How come GoPro Quick on PC is limited to max of 60 seconds  I hope it is longer.

Explorer

[ New ]

I explained it earlier in this thread, but with the GoPro desktop app there is a dat file associated with each song.  There are actually separate audio files for each time frame selected, and with each, a dat file.  The dat file tells the program how to split the video so that it symbolizes with the music.  For GoPro to provide longer videos, they will need to provide longer songs. Each will require it's own dat file.  Doing so will make the Quik for desktop program significantly larger, both as a download and residing on the computer.  Additionally, it will require significant personnel resources to dedicate to this task. 

The mobile app version of Quik works in an entirely different manner and uses an algorithm to do the syncing.  For GoPro to provide more flexibility to the desktop app, they wil need to rework the entire program.  As most people use proper editors when creating videos on the desktop, I don't see this happening soon (although I could be wrong), as most of their resources are dedicated to the mobile experience (where the vast majority of GoPro Quik videos are created).

Hiker

[ New ]

@danielr15 obrigado pela explicação e pela resposta. Acho que faz sentido, da parte técnica, mas, dificultou para usuários.

Visto que, as vezes uma experiência de gravação mais longa, nem sempre teremos tanto espaço disponível no celular, para realizar a edição por ali. Mas, como disse em um outro post que comentei a respeito - estou tentando aprender outros softwares, como VSDC ou até mesmo o Adobe Premiere+After Effects.

:-) Obrigado e uma ótima semana!

Explorer

[ New ]
Sem problemas.

Você deve tentar DaVinci Resolve para seus vídeos não-HEVC. Você pode usá-lo para HEVC, mas você precisa converter primeiro com o Handbrake. DaVinci é um editor profissional, mas é livre para usar.

No problem.

You should try DaVinci Resolve for your non-HEVC videos. You can use it for HEVC but you need to convert first with Handbrake. DaVinci is a professional editor but is free to use.
Anonymous

[ New ]
Well then Daniel , as a software engineer myself that is piss poor design and planning, complete lack of separation of concerns and not using software best practices from the last 2 decades, but im not at all surprised. Company is dying
Tourist

[ New ]
i would agree. Pretty **bleep**ty you cant do at least a 5 min video of your family on vacation.
Tourist

[ New ]

well here we are a year laster and still only these short 60 sic videos. kinda suck after paying for more music. 

@josha203 wrote:

Hey is this fixed yet??  Pretty ridiculous that GoPro consumers cant make videos longer than 60seconds....

@josha203 wrote:

Hey is this fixed yet??  Pretty ridiculous that GoPro consumers cant make videos longer than 60seconds....

Anonymous

[ New ]

I totally agree.   I do believe they said you can make it with the portable app and not with the desktop.  I am about to try.   

Hiker

[ New ]

@Anonymous, apesar de ser frustrante, a resposta deles foi: se vc quiser mais de 60 segundos, vai pro aplicativo de celular. Agora se você quiser fazer algo, além dos tempos programados pelo aplicativo, você deve buscar uma solução externa, como VSDC, Adobe Premiere, etc.

O que antes tinha no GoPro Studio.

Por exemplo, compilar uma time lapse de fotos ficou muito trabalhoso, infelizmente. O que era fácil, ficou mais complicado.

Triste, mas é a verdade.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Hallo, meine Videos enden nach ca. 3 Minuten ist das eine Einstellungs Sache ?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous

Quik for Desktop allows you to create a clip worth of GoPro media for 15/ 30/ 60 seconds.

Thanks!

Ej

Anonymous

[ New ]

Great response .. top quality .. definitely read the whole thread and responded to all the users concerns. Honestly why dont you just close the thread, delete it and delete all follow ups with same question , cause clearly you have no intention of fixing the issue, who in their right mind wants to edit on a full screen  app  where you have multiple windows and can see and move around things more as well as using a mouse with full control . i mean its non-sensical , definitely prefer very average mobile apps and tiny screens to do video editing .. #topnotch customer service. PS there may be a hint of sarcasm in this entire post

Tourist

[ New ]

Who wants to improve existing customer experience when you can funnel millions into shooting ad campaigns?

I mean, why spend more money on existing customers, it's not like they are going to pay for it.

end sarcasm

Tourist

[ New ]

There is a very clear reason GoPro stock is down in excess of -90% over the past 2 years (while other US Tech equity sector, even consumer hardware, nearly doubled in value). As a technology financial analyst, i can tell you that the answer lies in this very thread imo : poor software solution, massive disconnect between consumer needs and features offered, and complete disregard for consumer feedback. More than 2 years on, and GoPro still has not moved 1 inch to solve this obvious lack of functionality (a genuine mistake to even have released a desktop software like this in the first place) on their Quik software.
Software offering is so poor that i suspect most users already switched brand for their next action camera at this stage (like me).
Nick Woodman, you messed up what could have been a great company a few years back, by simply not listening to your customer feedbacks, mostly on the software side. I think it's a shame staff has to suffer the consequences of those actions, already going through layoffs and probably worse the day the company will end up filing.

Tourist

[ New ]

Desktop 1 minute max, iPhone no limit. GoPro fail............................ 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @fletchlive66

Should you need to do an edit that is more than one minute, you may use Quik for Mobile.

For reference, you can also check: 

How To Create A Video Using Quik for mobile

Thanks!
Ej

Hiker

Re: GoPro Quik, 3 Minute Videos Workaround

[ New ]

My own workaround to this is to simply make and export 2 or 3 60 second videos in Quik,  and then simply combine them in iMovie... I love how the music syncs in Quik but yeah,  every now and then I have a lot of footage for an outing and like to have a longer video than 60 seconds.   

Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro did it again - I just bought Hero 7 Black and wondered if it would work better than earlier when I had several Hero 3 and 4. Now opened the Quik for the second time and my computer is totally messed up. I will return this tomorrow to the shop and will never ever anymore buy GoPro, such a piece of **bleep**....

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @fatbat68

I am sorry for any troubles caused.

What OS is your computer on?

If using a Windows computer, please go over the steps on this article:

Quik for desktop Crashes while Opening Create Mode

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

Really shocking in todays market that this software does not allow you to edit longer than 60 seconds. They should be ashamed. To get to 3 or 5 minutes is a simple equation. So disappointed. Now they have forced me to pick another software and I will never come back.

Tourist

[ New ]

This seriously is a shot in the knee GoPro. I just updated my software to find out that 60 seconds with a dumb ass music track is all I'm able to do with my vidos. I found a solution - moving to Xiaomi as my new camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

Ive moved to Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 and left my Hero 7 Black unused in my table. Simple as that!

Tourist

[ New ]
They don’t get a **bleep** at all. There software is Garbage
Sightseer

[ New ]

15 months later......we wait.  No solution other than using 3rd party apps.  Shooting yourselves in the rear GoPro

Explorer

[ New ]
"moving to Xiaomi as my new camera."
For there editing software?

"There software is Garbage"
1) You are aware that GoPro is a camera company, right?
2) Most camera companies either offer no software or very limited software.
3) Have you tried their mobile apps? They are very good.

"No solution other than using 3rd party apps."
Why is this a problem? What's wrong with using an editor developed by a software company? You think GoPro should spend the time, resources, and money to develope a desktop software that competes with:
VSDC on Windows- http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor/download.
DaVinci Resolve https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

VideoProc https://www.videoproc.com/
HitFilmExpress https://hitfilm.com/express
ShotCut https://shotcut.org/download/
Lightworks http://www.lwks.com/
Avidemux http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/
Blender https://www.blender.org/download/
EZvid http://www.ezvid.com/download
VirtualDub http://www.virtualdub.org/
Fusion https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion/motiongraphics
Lives http://lives-video.com/index.php?do=home

That would be silly and wasteful. If any of the above work for you, use that.
Tourist

[ New ]

I cannot believe that Gopro in their infinite wisdom have gone from an app that used to be great to use but was highly unstable (gopro studio), to having no decent editing app at all for earlier model cameras such as the hero 4, forcing us to use the Gopro Quik App and then completely insulting it entire user base by **bleep**ing this up such that maximum video lengths are 60 seconds.

In all honestly, what **bleep**ing retard is running the show at Gopro? You are the most braindead idiot on the planet...no one makes 60 second videos.

Absolute morons!!!

Explorer

[ New ]

@flamin71

See my post above for alternative video editing software.  Why anyone would use anything other than the free professional video editing software DaVinci Resolve for earlier model cameras such as the hero 4 is moronic.

In all honestly, what **bleep**ing r#%@&d would want to use the severely limited and unstable Studio supported by a camera company instead of a video editing software made and supported by a software company? You would need to be the most braindead idiot on the planet to not download and use DaVinci Resolve (or any of the many different free editors made by software companies).

Only Absolute morons would think that a camera company should be producing professional video editing software.  However, if you like Quik style videos, the mobile app is very good.

Tourist

[ New ]
I think to be fair, it's reasonable for constructive criticism once GoPro decided to enter the software arena. You are correct, there are plenty of software companies, but GoPro are also one too. It's reasonable to critique if it's any good or not especially given the amount of marketing GoPro do to present a closed loop Hardware /Software system. Yes, we all agree it's rubbish but companies still need to hear in order to survive.
Explorer

[ New ]
"constructive criticism"
Let's not confuse that with juvenile rants, profanity, and slurs against people with disabilities.

This is a member to member support community. If you want assistance, this is a good place to look and ask questions. If you want to rant or post constructive criticism for GoPro to hear, then you're posting in the wrong place. For feedback, you can leave it here https://gopro.com/feedback
Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for the app list, Are there other options that sync royalty free music like GoPro Quik.  The only reason I use Quik is for the music and how it automatically syncs music.  Whenever you see Woodman now on TV he's talking about serving GoPro's "super user" instead of trying to please everyone.  Not sure how they can think their super user doesn't want more than a 60 second video?  The other thing that cracks me up is when I post a video from Quik with their royalty free music, YouTube tags it with a CopyRight...  Pretty funny. 

Here's an example, it's happened many times for me.

Hi Andrew,

A copyright owner using Content ID claimed some material in your video.

This is just a heads up
Don’t worry. You’re not in trouble and your account standing is not affected by this.

There are either ads running on your video, with the revenue going to the copyright owner, or the copyright owner is receiving stats about your video’s views.

Explorer

[ New ]
Yes, use the Quik Mobile app. You can download free music through GoPro Awards and use any song (royalty free or not) using the mobile app.

The copyright tag your getting is just to notify you that you can't profit off another artist work. You can use it, but if you're monetizing, the money is going to the artist.