Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Anonymous

GoPro Quick wont play back New Hero 6 record settings?

[ New ]

GoPro Quick isnt able to playback any of my gopro hero 6 new record settings such as 4k 60, 2.7k 120 and 1080p 240 (can only see thumbnails or black screen, all other record settings work). I can view them in finder with quicktime player. Any reason why and/or is there a solution?? I have a new 15' 2016 Mac pro, HIGH sierra installed and all updates. 

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous

Re: GoPro Quick wont play back New Hero 6 record settings?

[ New ]

I got the camera on launch day and I had the same problem for the first few days. I could not access the slow motion frame rates except for 1080 120 fps. First I had to update to High Sierra and then I updated to Quicks newest software which is 2.5, my files immeadiately were able to play on quick. The question mark black thumbnail stayed but I could play my videos once I clicked into them. After the update, any new footage I imported at those framerates had a normal thumbnail and they played fine. I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Anonymous

[ New ]

I am having the same problem.  I just spent $500 on this camera and I can't even use GoPro's software to view my 4k 60fps content.  This is one reason I do not own this company's stock.  First the Karma drone issues, now this.  What a let down.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Do you think it is just codec update needed by GoPro for Quick and FCPx so just sit tight and wait? I hope it is as simple as that??
Anonymous

[ New ]

I just have ????'s on all my files. Seems like a codec issue. I use Quick on wondows 8 and cant seem to find an update to get it working.

Files work fine in DIVX

Capture.JPG
Anonymous

[ New ]

I got the camera on launch day and I had the same problem for the first few days. I could not access the slow motion frame rates except for 1080 120 fps. First I had to update to High Sierra and then I updated to Quicks newest software which is 2.5, my files immeadiately were able to play on quick. The question mark black thumbnail stayed but I could play my videos once I clicked into them. After the update, any new footage I imported at those framerates had a normal thumbnail and they played fine. I hope this helps!

Anonymous

[ New ]
Thanks mate, didn't realize GoPro quick did not update. The footage now plays in GoPro quick but new issue is the playback is choppy/glitchy!? In QuickTime player it's smooth but in the GoPro quick app it glitches/choppy.. any reason why? I meet all computer requirements for hevc files I'm pretty sure.
Anonymous

[ New ]
Again only new settings of 1080p 240fps, 2.7k 120fps etc are the choppy/glitchy playback in GoPro quick *
Anonymous

[ New ]

No problem! For the first few days I had no idea there was an update as well. My footage is choppy as well in Quick. I dont know if it the same for everybody but I have owned Gopros for a long time and when I would always use Gopro studio my footage was choppy there as well until I exported the file to the finished video and played on Quicktime. Wish I could help with that.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Upgraded to windows 10 and still having issues with lagging playback.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Maybe your computer doesn't match requirements? Sorry can't be of help mate. Right now for me, raw footage all settings playback through QuickTime smooth. Editing- GoPro quick still choppy, iMovie smooth, Final Cut Pro doesn't import assuming codec still needed.. well I hope. I have new spec'd out Mac Pro In saying that, cost me a arm and a leg and I only got it for GoPro related editing pretty much lol. That's why I was getting cut with why GoPro quick doesn't playback smooth. But doesn't matter now, I won't use it for anything.
Anonymous

[ New ]

No matter what I do, I can't play 1080p 240fps.

This in both on MacAir and W10 PC.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have a new i7 quad core pc and it doesnt work om that either. Plays in all other media players no issues.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Finally I was able to open 1080p/240fps on iPhone 7+.

Now I know my GoPro is fine.

Anonymous

[ New ]

My Hero 6 footage does not play on anything other than the Films & Tv app that comes with Windows 10. Super glithcy on Quik, VLC, Shotcut, Filmora, anything else I try view the footage on. And now to top it off, when the Quik mobile app saves a quik movie is laggy and glithcy in play back. Super disappinted as its a ton of money to spend and not have anything work.... GoPro, are you guys going to sort this out? 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I gave up trying to get a solution and just downlonaded GOM media player.

You would think with the cost of the GOPRO 6 the software would actually work.

Not impressed!!!

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

hero 6 mp4 files no longer view able in Quik and windows 10 after installing 1.60

I can open and edit the files in CyberLink PowerDirector 15 but not in Quik.

The weird thing is it worked before the update!

Tourist

[ New ]

Is no one else having this problem?

Anonymous

[ New ]

I am having major issues with all HEVC formats. Glitchy and pixelated video in VLC,  5k player, Filmora, etc. I have a brand new maxed out PC. Win10, Coffee Lake 8700k, 1080ti gfx, 16GB DDR4. Swapped SD cards, manual update to the camera, formatting, etc. I finally returned the first Hero 6 thinking it must be a dud after hours on the phone with GoPro support. Still have the same issue with the 2nd one.

The footage looks as smooth as butter on my Samsung Note 8 Plus! I cannot get the same results on my PC or my laptop no matter what I do. I even had freelancers who specialize in resolving issues like this try and no one could fix it!

I spent $3000 on this PC and $400 on the Hero 6 for the sole purpose of being able to shoot a video series in 4k60. GoPro, please help!!!

Anonymous

[ New ]
Hevc I’m only having glitch/pixel issues in Quik on my Mac. All formats and hevc will play in QuickTime player. Very frustrating that GoPro own software can’t playback its own footage.. but I’m just dealing with it for now, hoping updates could fix such issues!?
Tourist

[ New ]

I am running Win 10 and QT won't play them neither does WMP, Pot player, or VLC.
Divx plays them but it plays very choppy and in slo mo.

CyberLink PowerDirector 15 (64-bit) I can edit and play them just fine thank God because that is my editor.

I also have had the worst experiance with the GoPro tech support since they have outsourced to India! Not even worth talking to them becasue they have no idea what is going on. I have waisted so much time on the phone with that group of fools! Don't bother!
GoPro needs to take back the wheel! When I purchased my Hero 4 it was all American support and they knew what they where doing!
Ever sunce I have purchased my 5 and now 6 the support is the worst! It is like calling Comcast!

Anonymous

[ New ]
Yes
Anonymous

[ New ]
I'm having same problems. Thinking of returning my 6 and buy a 5
Anonymous

[ New ]
I'm running a top spec PC with Windows 10 and having similar issues to a lot of people here. PowerMediaPlayer seems to be a great solution.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous

After verifying the minimum system requirements, you may refer to: Resolve GoPro Studio Crashing Issues. This is also applicable for Quik for Desktop . 

If all else fails, please contact Customer Support via phone or chat so we can isolate the issue further. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

EJ

Anonymous

[ New ]

i did contact by chat and they told me its my pc i have a i5 8600k oc to 4.8ghz 16 gb ram ddr4 3000hz and a gtx 1060 6 gb they told me to lower my resolution i told them its fine in any other app or media player they still reply with the problem is your pc is not good enought wow good customer service last go pro i am gonna buy.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Have had the hero6 for a few months now and still not able to play 1080 x 240 fps

Does no one have a solution for this? It doesn't even work on Quik.

Completely baffled by this, It's like selling a house without a roof.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @stoutshore45266

You should be able to play the files directly on the camera.

If you wish to do edit/ view the files on a computer, please refer to these articles for more information: 

HEVC Explained

HEVC Minumum System Requirements

How to Convert GoPro HEVC Videos to H.264 Using HandBrake

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I don't think that the GoPro is necessarily the root cause of the issue, unless they have incorrectly implemented the standards for creation of an HEVC file.

Similar to other users, i cannot play an HEVC file from a Hero 6 in Quik for Desktop on my wife's fairly new PC, which according to GoPro is up to the standards for playing HEVC, although it will play just fine in the Windows Movies & TV app.  Quik just locks up.  The same issue - program locking up when touching an HEVC file occurs with Corel VideoStudio 2018.  The video will play in the preinstalled Cyberlink Media Player and Power Director that came preinstalled on the computer, although it is pretty jerky.

Interestingly enough, the files will play just fine in the version of Quik for Desktop that is installed on my laptop.  It is slightly older and less powerful than my wife's desktop.

So:  what could be the issue?  I think we can take Windows and Quik out of the picture, because I have the same versions running on both machines. 

The only major difference I can see is the display adapter.  It's just an integrated Intel chip in my laptop, while the desktop has a Radeon RX 460 graphics card.  That is supposed to have native HEVC support and it has all the latest driver updates.

Thoughts?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @epicpike46226

Yes, HERO6 can't play HEVC as of the moment, 

We'll submit your concern to the right department. 

Regards,

-Jay