Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro Quick will not see GoPro Hero Black 8 - plus outburst as a bonus

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am running macOs Catalina 10.15.6

GoPro Quick 2.7.0.874

My GoPro Hero 8 has the latest firmware, 2.0.

I also have GoPro Webcam software installed.

I was able to download videos from my camera on 08.31.

Today I tried, but the GoPro Quick does not show the camera.

I restarted the OS, I restarted the GoPro. I quit GoPro Webcam. I reconnected cables.

The camera shows that it is in USB mode, but the Quick will not see the camera at all.

Big picture: this is the third or fourth time I am spending several hours with debugging, reinstalling, restarting, cable plugging.

I don't want to sound old, but I have digital cameras for around 20 years now. All kinds. This GoPro 8 would be my favorite for its capabilities.

But people. The software that you put around it makes it the worst experience. I know that "We’ve moved on, but that doesn’t mean you have to. Download your favorite legacy software here."

Really? What is the supported way at the moment to download the data from the GoPro Hero Black 8? I see download software for Max. I do not see such software for 8. Only if you Google search for it, and then you find it under Legacy Software in the Help Articles. What is the current way to download media?

I know, I could read the memory card directly. My fingers are big. The SD card is small. My laptop does not have a built-in card reader.

I know, first world problems. But when I bought this camera, I paid for the whole ecosystem. That ecosystem seems to degrade with every update.

As I said, this is the third or fourth time I spend my time with this, thus the outburst.

Cheers,
Attila

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: GoPro Quick will not see GoPro Hero Black 8 - plus outburst as a bonus

Make sure that your your USB connection is set to MTP and not GoPro Connect.  If it was changed (like mine was) your camera will not show up on Quick and you can not grab it using the mac app (whatever it is - I forget)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Sightseer

Make sure that your your USB connection is set to MTP and not GoPro Connect.  If it was changed (like mine was) your camera will not show up on Quick and you can not grab it using the mac app (whatever it is - I forget)

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you, that solved the problem.

Just as a reference, for others, if they need this:

On the GoPro camera:

Preferences -> Connections -> USB Connection -> MTP

I am wondering if the outburst part of my previous comment still applies :) ? I am not sure at the moment.

Still not sure about the currently supported download application for Hero 8. But this solved the problem for now. I am wondering what will happen when the next macOS comes out.

Thank you again,

Attila

Highlighted
Sightseer

Attila, You are not alone in identifying the frustration of long term GoPro users. I often wonder if there is any consideration at all for continuity of operation, process or even concept of application. Apparently experience moves on and we are left with the short sited decisions made by the new breed who must learn the same mistakes made years ago...over and over again - "new" features win out over usability.

Hang in there and a try not to let this frustration damper your creativity.

Kurt
Highlighted
Tourist

I feel the same way about the Hero8--that is it seems to be an orphaned product that GoPro does not seem to want to support.