Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

GoPro Quick Desktop freezes on Win 10

Hello Team,

GoPro Quick Desktop freezes when I enter Create mode or try to watch a video. I've updated all drivers, tried compatibility mode with Windows 8 and only have one Graphics Card. I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo ideapad 330S.

Can anyone help, please?

GoPro

Re: GoPro Quick Desktop freezes on Win 10

Hi @radwano3180

Please go over the steps on Quik for desktop Crashes while Opening Create Mode

You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

I have the same issue - I looked through the article, but I don't have an integrated graphics adapter on the CPU, there's only 1 discrete graphics card, and the graphics drivers have been updated to the latest. Import works, and I can view pictures fine, but opening a video causes Quik to hang. I am recording as HEVC, and can play the videos outside of Quik without any issues.

Specs

CPU: Intel i7-6850k

RAM: 64 GB

GPU: AMD Vega 56 with 19.11.3 drivers (previously had 19.3.1 drivers, same issue)

Any other ideas? Let me know if there's any other information you need to diagnose the issue.

GoPro

You may also try the following steps in addition to the suggestions above: 

1. Close Quik for desktop. 
  2. Open Windows Explorer by pressing Windows key + E. 
  3. Click the View tab at the top of this window and make sure the box next to "Show hidden files" is checked. 
  4. Navigate to C:\Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Local and delete the "GoPro" folder.
  5. Restart Quik for desktop and see if the issue persists.

Additionally, you may attempt to reset the app by following these steps: 

1. Open Quik for desktop 
  2. While on the login screen, select the "Help" tab above the Quik for desktop window 
  3. Select "Restart with default settings" 
  4. A modal will appear saying "Are you sure?". Click "Restart" once more. 
  5. Quik for desktop will close and reopen. Quik for desktop will appear as if you installed it for the first time. 
  6. Go to the login screen and input your credentials. You should then be able to login successfully.  

If the issue persists, our Support team will be able to assist you with the next steps. You may reach them by phone or live chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.

Tourist

I tried those steps - what's interesting is that when I tried to open the video, I noticed that the \AppData\Local\GoPro\Music folder was getting populated with music. I was optimistic that once it got done creating all of these files, it would resume loading. Alas, it was not to be. I also tried modifying the goproapp.json file, and set UseHardwareAcceleration to false - this didn't work either. Everything I try results in the software hanging.

I'll try the live chat when I have some more time to invest into this.

Sightseer

Ho provato tutti i passaggi e non sono riuscito a risolvere il crush, ho provato ad aprire il supporto in chat ma dice che non è attiva.

Ho bisogno di aiuto 

Tourist

Hi all, 

Thanks for the responses.

GoPro's solutions didn't work, which is very dissapointing. However this worked:

https://pureinfotech.com/set-gpu-app-windows-10/

I chose the power saving option and at least QUIK is no longer freezing. Now let's see if GoPro can solve the other two issues I have:

1. Uploads to cloud take ages. By ages I mean more than 12 hours for a 3GB video, while OneDrive or Google Drive is less than an hour.
  2. I bought one GoPro online and customs returned it. I'm still waiting for my 600 USD back, that's more than 20 days ago.

I think it's time for me to consider other brands, it's a shame that after paying good money for the device and on top of that a monthly subscription for the cloud we still cannot use it. Not to mention the telemetry data can't be used in QUIK.

If I was a new buyer I'd either wait for GoPro to fix it's support issues or get another brand if you can't/don't want to wait.

Cheers!