Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

GoPro FX Reframe continual problems

[ New ]

I CAN NOT get this plugin to work on premiere 2018, 2019 or 2020.  Whenever I drop the plugin onto the file I want to edit it not only reduces the quality of the file to where it's so pixilated you can barely see it, it also puts a black box around the entire video.  IT ALSO EXPORTS THIS WAY, low quality and a giant black box around the whole video.  Fixes anyone?

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro FX Reframe continual problems

[ New ]

For clarity, both of these need to be true:

1) You need to create a 1080p sequence first. You need to keep your (1080p) sequence settings when adding 360 source video the existing sequence.  Do not use 5.6K files to create a Premiere sequence.

2) Open the menu Edit->Perfernces->Media and make sure "Default Media Scaling:" is set to "None".

View solution in original post

This is a walkthrough of the new plug-in for reframing 360 content: GoPro FX Reframe for Adobe Premiere & After Effects. Skip ahead to a specific part below:...
GoPro

[ New ]

If you render to 1080p, that will not be good on a 4K sequence, of course.  So don't render to 1080p, export at 5.6K, then using FX Reframe with the 4K option in a 4K sequence.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

@homer027, sorry to hear about the trouble. Please ensure to have the updated version of GoPro FX Reframe installed on your computer. Additionally, check out the suggestions of other Hub members in this thread to see if they will work for you.

Hiker

[ New ]
I am running the most recent version of reframe.
Hiker

[ New ]

I get exactly the same. Black bars all around a thumbnail video, at maybe 10 fps, despite all different settings tried...

WTF ???? please gopro give a detailed tutorial with all steps to get a proper image quality.

Hiker

[ New ]

hello ?????

Hiker

[ New ]

this is ridiculous ! How is it possible to have bought a supposed "so good" GOPRO camera without any support  ?  No Windows software either ! Fortunately I didn't buy Premiere just for this crappy camera, but free trial.

I'm thinking to sell it and to buy an Insta360 that provide free stuff to edit and reframe footages.

BTW i'm using now insta360 studio to reframe and edit gopro footages

i first use gopro exporter in HEVC 4k to get an mp4 file and drop it in insta360 studio.

in 5mn i finally can get a videoclip !

Shame on you gopro ! You sell a camera without any windows software to edit ! Congrats INSTA360 ! hope you will kill gopro max !

Hiker

[ New ]
I think there are a lot of people who are very disappointed in the Max - myself included. The Premiere plug in is so slow - and I have just about the fastest PC that can currently be built. That said, I too am rooting for Insta 360. I had a chance to film with the One R for a YouTuber and was impressed.
Hiker

[ New ]

Can ANYONE address this problem? By some miracle trying to edit a fusion video today the FX reframe actually worked. The next 10 videos I tried it went back to the same problem, black box around the video and terrible quality for exporting.  Can someone anyone explain whats going on here?

Hiker

[ New ]
GOPRO SUPPORT WAKE UP !!!!
Hiker

[ New ]

GOPRO support : zzz...zzz... 

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm sure Daniel will jump out of the woodwork to defend GoPro here, but I agree - support has been awfully quiet here lately. Maybe they've grown tired of cut and pasting the same response over and over.

That said, apparently the Windows version is being beta tested (at least 3 months too late), so they're probably not going to make any fixes to the reframe plugin soon.

Out of curiousity, are you using Cineform codec?

Hiker

[ New ]

the beta version, i'm on it, i registered./ untill then , I was thinking that a 400 eur camera would give me a little support, but unfortunately, i chose the wrong brand.

GoPro

[ New ]

Re: Black Box around video

This shows you either have the wrong sequence settings or the wrong scaling settings in Premiere.

1) Sequence settings. You need to set up a 1080p sequence first, as this filter will reframe from 5.6K to a 1080p punch-out in its default configuration. See this point of Abe's demo video: https://youtu.be/t2AVZNkPgu0?t=281  You need to keep your existing (1080p) sequence settings when adding 360 source video.

2) As the filter needs all the source pixels (5.6K), you don't want Premiere to scale it to 1080p before the filter gets the pixels. This causes many quality issues beyond 360 editing, so I would not recommend ever having this enabled.  To fix this error, open the menu Edit->Perfernces->Media and make sure "Default Media Scaling:" is set to "None".

PremiereDefaultScaling.png
This is a walkthrough of the new plug-in for reframing 360 content: GoPro FX Reframe for Adobe Premiere & After Effects. Skip ahead to a specific part below:...
Hiker

[ New ]

Thanx for your help,

Default Media Scaling:" is set to "None

The video size is full screen when I load the raw 360 sequence, as soon as I apply FX Reframe effect, it will downsize it. If i export as this, the black bars will be visible all around the image, if I play with the scale, it will give a blur video.

capt1.jpg

capt2capt2

capt3capt3

Hiker

[ New ]

Pb solved by adjusting the sequence settings before to import, not after.. Thx a lot for your help.

GoPro

[ New ]

For clarity, both of these need to be true:

1) You need to create a 1080p sequence first. You need to keep your (1080p) sequence settings when adding 360 source video the existing sequence.  Do not use 5.6K files to create a Premiere sequence.

2) Open the menu Edit->Perfernces->Media and make sure "Default Media Scaling:" is set to "None".

Nomad

[ New ]

@0dan0 , Mac User with PP 2020

I have used GoPro FX reframe sucessfully with PP 2019, using .360 source files as well as 4K files to create a sequence.

Now with 2020 version and latest FX plugin, I am getting "low level" errors and have had to revert to the older Fusion plugin. Also PP slows to an absolute crawl editing with the plugin active, something which never happened in PP 2019

You say never use source .360 files to create a sequence and we should first create a 1080P sequence and then import the .360 file for reframing....what if I want to render a 4K video...most of my other clips are from the Hero 8 and I usually render out with it's source settings plus a few custom rendering settings to 4K....

I have just tested your settings in PP 2020 and still get Low Level Exceptions immediately on applying the Fx Plugin onto a clip in a 1080p Sequence.....

Nomad

[ New ]

bump

GoPro

[ New ]

On Mac you will have to reset the plugin cache, it is a Mac only bug.

When launching Premiere, hold down shift until you are asked to reset the plug-in cache, reset the cache.  This does make Premiere start slower, but all projects will load correctly and the filter will work again. 

I new filter version address this shortly. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@caperdriver I seems like you might be on a Mac which was more prone to those "low level" errors. There is a newer version of the filter in beta-test now.  Request here: https://forms.gle/KvUuVXAmQFy5YXUV8 although it might be released before new beta testers are added.

re: "if I want to render a 4K video" -  You can do that, create a 4K sequence and set the filter to 4K, just don't make a 5.6K sequence.

4KSequence.jpg

Nomad

[ New ]

Signed up!!! Thanks!

RE, rendering to 4K: What I was trying to say is that the GoPro Player can reframe the footage before using in PP but the result is a 1080P clip. If I already have a sequence set up because I'm using GoPro 8 footage at 4K and using that to create a new sequence, when I bring in the reframed footage, which is at 1080P, I'm mixing resolutions in my sequence. So when evetually rendering to 4K in PP, the 1080p footage can be oversampled and not rendered to the same quality as the rest of the 4K footage...hope that make sense! The 1080P section of a 4K video is clearly seen with a lot of small artifacts. Maybe I'm doing something wrong......

Nomad

[ New ]

Thanks, I'll give it a go!

GoPro

[ New ]

If you render to 1080p, that will not be good on a 4K sequence, of course.  So don't render to 1080p, export at 5.6K, then using FX Reframe with the 4K option in a 4K sequence.

Nomad

[ New ]

Seems to have worked!!! Great, now I got to do this everytime I start PP2020...bonkers! Hope they resolve it, the new plugin is better than the VX one...when it works!

Nomad

[ New ]

Yip, that's exactly what I am doing now, direct export in 5.6K to convert via GoPro Player, then PP to reframe in 4K sequence....thanks!