Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

Go Pro Max Export does not add necessary metadata to file making file useless?

[ New ]

So I've been trying to work out why the one available format that the Max exporter will let you create (see other posts about the lack of mp4 bug) will not work with my editing software (Vegas Pro 16)?

The Go Pro Max Exporter currently only exports as .mov files. Vegas Pro 16 usually works with .mov files but won't work with the exported files.

On inspection of the properties of the file in Vegas Pro it would appear the files created by the Go Pro Exporter do not contain the metadata to allow other software (like Vegas) to work out what plugin they need to use to decode the video? See below screen shots of the properties of two .mov files: one "standard" one that works fine and one created by the Go Pro Export.

Standard File:

standard-file-properties.png

Go Pro Export file:

GoPro-Export-File-Properties.png

The lack of info on video and audio stop Vegas from knowing how to handle this file

Nomad

Re: Go Pro Max Export does not add necessary metadata to file making file useless?

[ New ]

No. What is exported is in Cineform. And Cineform cannot be read by Vegas. It can be read by Resolve, so it is NOT a metadata problem. Thus the produced file is not "useless."

The real problem is the Exporter does not ACTUALLY permit HEVC or H264 options, which are more efficient and can be erad by most programs.

Hiker

Re: Go Pro Max Export does not add necessary metadata to file making file useless?

[ New ]

Ah ok. File is still useless to me though!

The real problem is the lack of the Windows version of the player then we wouldn't even need the exporter!

Currently I'm seeing my easiest option is to install a Mac virtual machine on my PC and see if the Mac app will work in that? All pain I shouldn't need to do when I've just spent the best part of 500 quid on a new product....

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

An update has been released for MAX Exporter.

See https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Player-MAX-Exporter-Release-Notes/ta-p/446375

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Wah hey! Finally we can edit in Windows :)

Use the exporter to export as MP4 and then reframe using other software - Insta360 Studio works !!! Smiley Surprised