Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Fusion is awful, misleading marketing

[ Edited ]

We need "TRIM" video feature in Fusion Studio!!! Specially because stitching takes so long, but I don't want to wait for Fusion to stich a whole video when I just want a couple of seconds of it. YouTube still does not support video editing (including trimming) for 360 videos. Add this feature ASAP!!!!

Highlighted
Tourist

Here is my experience using Fusion so far: stiching seems to work really well. You just have to wait a loooong time for it to finish, even on a high end Mac. And image quality is great. But as others have pointed out, we need the ability to add key frames, so we can control when to rotate the video, when to go in and out of Little Planet effect and, as I mentioned on my previous post, we need video trimming! I don't have (and don't want to) use Adobe Premiere. I already have Final Cut Pro and, although it does support 360 video nows, FCPX just behaves very sluggish when editing it. Previews are not real time as when editing non-360 videos (and this one a 2017 MBP laptop), so you cannot tell right away what the effect of a parameter will be. Of course, this is not GoPro's fault, but the whole point is that, right now, editing a 360 video is not an intuitive process, and I am under the impression that the idea behind Fusion Studio is to make this experience as seemless as possible. As a version 1 product, I am not expecting much, but still some basic video editing features should be available from the very start.

Highlighted
Tourist

Actually, "TRIM" video is an existing feature. It was just not obvious for me at first.

Highlighted
Hiker

I have had Fusion for more than a month now and can not return it to GoPro for a refund anymore... But I wish I could. I am seeing reports that GoPro is exiting drone market and is trying put itself up for sale (see links below). In this envirenment, I have low confidence that Fusion Studio will be fixed or that the Android app will show up anytime soon :(

If they gave me the option to return with refund today, I would take it in a heartbeat.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/8/16862680/gopro-drones-business-stopped-layoffs-exit

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/08/gopro-has-hired-jp-morgan-to-put-itself-up-for-sale.html

Highlighted
Hiker

Either I missed it or they just updated it- Fusion Studio is now at version 1.1.

The biggest change I see is the stabillization is no longer labeled "beta". There are also multiple stabilization options now-

1. Anti-shake: Removes jitter, smoothing your video and keeping camera orientation steady. Ideal for body and gear mounted footage.
  2. Full stabillization: Smooths your video, locking the view in one direction. Ideal for headset and VR viewing.

I will test these out later tonight.

Anti-shake sounds promising.

Full stabillization sounds like what was previously present as Stabillization (beta).  Previously, this locked to initial orientation of Fusion at start of the clip. It would be more useful if they locked to horizontal. Lets see what they did.

Highlighted
Hiker

Fusion Studio 1.1 update seems to have fixed most of my crashing problems. 

The full stabilizaiton setting is also not behaves like how I expect stabilization to behave- automatically leveled with the horizon and locked in the direction of forward motion. Excellent! 

Thanks GoPro :)

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@textrovert - I really like the Full Stabilization option too. I like to move with my Fusion, which means it's not always level. I messed up a video over the Holidays with horizons that went up and down like a tilt-a-whirl, but now they look great. Keep trying the features and let us know if there's anything else you like, or would like to see.

Highlighted
Tourist

Jeff,  

I see that you are with GoPro.  I am a GoPro reseller and have been trying to render video taken with the Fusion camrea and I have to say that it is very frustrating.  It has been over 8hrs and it is still only 15% done with rendering a 10 minute clip with settigns of H.264, 3K, stero audio, and dwarp on.  I know my computer may not be the best (new iMac Pro, 32gb ram, 4 core beast)  but I assume the intention wasn't to sell the camera to only those with 10,000 dollar systems.  How long should it take to render 10 minutes of video?  It seems that the Fusion or Fusion Studio does not really work correctly.  The fusion captures the video but rendering takes so long if you took video on a vacation, you would need to leave for another week to allow you computer to render the video.  My computer is a processing beast.  I can have Photoshop, Preimier Pro, After Effects, and Illustrator open and jump around working on projects without so much as a hiccup on the machine.  However,  running nothing else but Fusion Studio, it still is an 8 hour process to get no where.  Please help.