Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

Fusion footage is NOT 360* in FCPX!

[ New ]

This all so frustrating!  I am attempting for the very first time to edit Fusion footage in FCPX and it is not going well.  I connect the fusion to my Macbook and open the Fusion app.  I then select the clips I want to work with and add them to the render que.  I select "overcapture" and let it rip...and then wait about 3 days!.  Once complete I then export them as Prores422 files, wait for that to finish and then import them into a 360 project in FCPX.  Once there they initially look good but they are NOT stitched!  When I select the orientation tool and pan either left or right I eventually get to a very distinct cutoff.  This is a hard, vertical line and appears to be the end of either the back camera or front camera footage.  What in the world am I doing WRONG?????  Is the Fusiion app not supposed to do this stitching for me?????

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 2.30.31 PM.png
GoPro

Re: Fusion footage is NOT 360* in FCPX!

[ New ]

Hello @andyd378

The Fusion app is supposed to do the stitching. See if going through the steps detailed here  helps. If not, our Support team will be glad to walk you through the process. You may reach them by phone or chat. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

I've follwed the steps and it takes hours and hours with every try!  This is a royal pain in the you-know-what!  I've been running a video production company for YEARS and this is insane.  I've been working on this for 3 DAYS!!!!  What's the number to call?

GoPro

[ New ]

The contact number for Support is found here: https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/Telephone-Numbers . Best regards!

Hiker

[ New ]

OK, this is just getting ridiculous!  I am now being told that since one of my SD cards is an Ultra and not an Extreme that this is the cause of the issue, but this makes no sense.  Once the footage is in the Fusion app I can easily preview it and can clearly see that I have all 360 degrees captured just fine.  There is no difference in the imnagery anywhere as I pan all the way around.  Yet once rendered and then imported into FCPX I can only see half of the footage.  Can the card actually STILL be the issue at this stage since the files have already been offloaded, previewed and then rendered from a file on my Mac and NOT from the card itself?  

Also, the India based (or wherever it is) "support" from GoPro is AWFUL!  I had to explain my situation over and over and over and over AGAIN and the gal would STILL ask me the same question that I'd already answered 4 times previously!!!!  Wow!  Talk about making a frustrating experience 10x worse!  Thanks GoPro!

Hiker

[ New ]

So I went and bought an "Extreme" card per the (ludicrous) suggestion of the support rep and guess what?  It did NOTHING!  Same crappy results with just half of my image showing up!  It always looks fine in the preview (with either the Ultra or Extreme card) but NEVER looks good once rendered/stitched and then imported into FCPX.  This is NUTS!  Is there ANYONE out there who actually knows how to fix this??????????

Explorer

[ New ]
Why are you choosing Overcapture if you want 360?
Explorer

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]

Why are you even responding before taking a moment to try to understand the issue at hand?  Am I not supposed to be able to see 360 degrees of footage while using overcapture?  In FCPX it's referred to as a 360* project, to work with it you select the 360* viewer.  Have I not already explained that I'm only getting 180* of my imagery?  This isn't an issue of selecting 360 instead of Overcapture, but thanks for the link.

Explorer

[ New ]
If you export from Fusion Studio as over capture, you are selecting to have 180 footage rendered out. So, that would be why. Export from Fusion Studio as 360 and see what happens.
Explorer

[ New ]
Oh, and your welcome. Hope it's a good read and makes sense for you.
Explorer

[ New ]

Actually, I think I misspoke. Over capture may be close to 90 degrees, not 180. Per GoPro, Overcature allows you to "punch out a full 1080p, traditionally-framed image."

https://gopro.com/news/so--what-is-overcapture--and-why-are-we-excited-about-it-

Most importantly though, the lesson to be learned is, if you want 360, export as 360. If you want a "traditional" 1080p file, use Overcature (you also don't put an Overcature rendered file into a 360 project, obviously).

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes, a very good read indeed, here's what it says: OverCapture is more than just the ability to capture content from every angle, it also enhances what you can do with the content after you’ve already captured it. Users have the flexibility in post-production to utilize the entire spherical file to find the perfect shot from which to punch out a full 1080p, traditionally-framed image.  Just like the folks at MacBreak display here: https://youtu.be/F56dNzUC31w

When you have no idea what you're talking about you really ought to just stop.  I am attempting to do precisely what GoPro described in their article.  Use the Overcapture functionality to grab whatever portion of that "entire spherical file" to find my perfect shot.  Now please just stop wasting my time unless you have a way to resolve this issue.  

The GoPro Fusion 360 camera is more than just a VR camera. With its stellar stabilization and resolution, Steve shows you how to work with Fusion footage in ...
Hiker

[ New ]

Just followed your astute directions for exporting a 360 project and got exactly what I thought, garbage!  Have you ever actually even edited an Overcapture video?  I highly doubt it.  If you had you would understand that in Final Cut Pro they are refered to as 360 projects since they allow you to pan around and select whatever framing you'd like out of that entire 360 degree sphere (Just as GoPro and everyone else on the planet explains).  So no, it's not just a 180* (or even 90* for that matter) chunk of the footage, you get to select, at will, whatever 1080 piece of that sphere you'd like.  So again, if you don't have anything constructive to add then please just stop since you're doing nothing but making a bad situation just that much worse.

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 10.43.00 AM.png
Explorer

[ New ]
First, I own and use Fusion frequently.
Second, in Fusion Studio you have 360 content.
Third, with Overcature you can punch out a traditional 1080p video. If you export that video, it is no longer 360, it is "traditional" 1080p.
Save yourself some grief and export as 360 instead of arguing about trying to make the wrong way work.
Hiker

[ New ]

Like I said, many times now, please give it up.  You are wrong and you do not know what you're talking about.  Overcapture produces a 1080 frame of one segment of the 360* sphere while still allowing you to further select from, and re-frame to, any other segmnent of that sphere just as in the MacBreak sample I provided and just as described in the article you linked to that you STILL somehow think proves YOUR point.  There is an error with my system and I'm trying to find what that is.  Exporting from Fusion as a 360 project produces horrible results and if that was what everyone was so excited about then why have the Overcapture option?

Explorer

[ New ]

Not sure which one of these "Captures" the moment.....

1-BBT_ZPaQIuw5YUqiQ1FXew-1080x588.png4be59c551b0a0856815ddef0f61a9800-8.png43155201-stock-vector-vector-man-facepalm-comic-illustration.jpgbaby-facepalm.jpgConan-OBrien-Facepalm.gifdepositphotos_193115588-stock-illustration-businessman-shame-face-palm.jpgelrond-facepalm.jpgfacepalm-1.0.jpgimages (1).jpgimages (2).jpgimages (3).jpgimages.jpg