Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Fusion and Mac OS Big Sur

[ New ]

Sure:

First you have to get the GoPro Video Files in a folder. You can do this most easily by starting the stitching process in Fusion Studio 1.2, which should basically work with Big Sur. So why not doing the whole stitching in 1.2 then, you will ask? Well, with me version 1.2 is crashing in every video longer than around 20 seconds. The files (mainly mp4 and wav) will be copied somewhere in Pictures/GoPro Fusion/Sources.

Alternatively copy the files manually from the SD cards :-/

Then you can start the stitching in the Terminal via: 

/Applications/Fusion\ Studio\ 1.2.app/Contents/MacOS/FusionStudio

You will get the parameters available with:

/Applications/Fusion\ Studio\ 1.2.app/Contents/MacOS/FusionStudio --help

For creating 360° Videos in 5.2K for Youtube for examle, this command should do:

/Applications/Fusion\ Studio\ 1.2.app/Contents/MacOS/FusionStudio -d <your-home-folder>/Pictures/GoPro\ Fusion/Sources/<name of the mediafolder> -o <output-filename>.mp4 -w 4992 --iq 2 --amb 1 -s 2      

As stated before, the command line also works with 1.4 beta, though I do the import still with 1.2, for I am too lazy to insert the SD-cards every time I want to stitch a video. The next days I will try out the beta firmware update for 5.8 K Resolution.

Not a very sleek solution, but better than giving away the (very good) camera.

Btw.: I suppose the problem is QT, the graphical user interface. Their version 5.10 seems not to be compatible with Big Sur. According to the qt forum, 5.15 should work. Sadly, we probably will never know ...

Tourist

[ New ]

Two further notes:

- You can access the files on the Camera via the Mac built-in app "Image Capture", so you do not need to remove the SD Cards or to use Fusion Studio 1.2

- For 5.6K Resolution (after Firmware upgrade) use "-w 5504"

Hiker

[ New ]
I’m definitely in!!
Tourist

[ New ]

Has anyone tried manually stitching using After effects or similar?  This looks like it might work: Video Tutorial: How to Stitch 360 Footage in After Effects (premiumbeat.com).

I've tried it on a short video with reasonable results.  Would be good to know what the best settings are for fusion though (FOV, tilt, etc for each lens).

Also, I think part of GoPro's problem maybe the company that made the Fusion Studio and VR plugins for Premiere, Kolor, has gone out of business.  I'm guessing there's a different Mac based stitching solution for MAX footage.  No idea as I'm still using Fusion (albeit using a PC to render).

If anyone has successfully used a third party software, can I ask if you lost the stabilisation?  The short clip I did was pretty static.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Hello, I have contacted GoPro support about open sourcing the app.

If this is not successful, I will look into libraries to build a custom macOS Big Sur compatible app for this. Note though, if the first option is a no-go, the second option might take a couple months. I will keep you guys all updated on what happens, if there are any developers that might want to help, please feel free too!

I’ll tell you guys if and when development starts. But hopefully, the first option works out.

Thanks
Tourist

[ New ]
Hopefully you’ll have better luck than me. I asked about open sourcing and all I heard were crickets. I’m willing to help if you go with your second option. Post the name of the repo and I’ll join.
Sightseer

[ New ]
Yeah, I’ll give them a couple days then I’ll start work on the repo, I’ll post it on here when I do.
Sightseer

[ New ]

still no fix 6 months after "being reported to the tteam" nice.