Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Fusion Studio stabilization is not useable due to xyz-axis changes and drift

[ Edited ]

I tried using it several times- it looks really nice in that the video is considerably stable when stitched with it enabled.

However, it completely messes up the xyz-axis and horizon. I tried re centering at start of the stitch, but it drifts to some weird angle very quickly and after that moving view left/right/up/down results in unexpected angles. This upload to YuTube by another user shows this behaviour too- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhSzKtHJqOM&t=2s

Is there a fix for this in the works? Thanks!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Fusion Studio stabilization is not useable due to xyz-axis changes and drift

Fusion Studio 1.1 update has moved Stabilization out of Beta. It now has 2 options- anti-shake and full stabilizaiton.

The full stabilizaiton setting is also not behaves like how I expect stabilization to behave- automatically leveled with the horizon and locked in the direction of forward motion. Excellent! 

Thanks GoPro :)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Fusion Studio stabilization is not useable due to xyz-axis changes and drift

Tried some options out to better understant how the stabilization is working. Found the following-

1) Regardless of where in the clip you start the stitch/render process, if you turn on stabilization - the GoPro orientation when the clip started recording is used as the reference to stabilize the 360 degree world to.

2) Once you turn on stabilization, the pitch, roll, yaw sliders in Fusion studio have no effect. They may look like they are doing something in the preview, but once you hit play you can see that it snaps to the orientation at the start of the clip and stays locked to that.

3) in short clips- under 1 minute, drift seems to be absent.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Adding a final note on this-

Studio It is not stabilizing based on up/down horizon/gravity as reference. So starting clips with camera perfectly vertical and pointing in direction of expected movement gives best results. Once recording has started, you can move the camera into any position, and the lock will maintain the original orientation.

Another affect of locking based on start position- making any turns,etc is not followedto face new direction. Stays locked to original orientation. This is not a bug :) But having an option to follow the direction of front facting camera automatically would be nice.

Okay, I will stop having this conversation with myself now. :|

Highlighted
Hiker

Fusion Studio 1.1 update has moved Stabilization out of Beta. It now has 2 options- anti-shake and full stabilizaiton.

The full stabilizaiton setting is also not behaves like how I expect stabilization to behave- automatically leveled with the horizon and locked in the direction of forward motion. Excellent! 

Thanks GoPro :)