Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Fusion Studio 1.3 memory leak (on larger render queues)

Fusion Studio 1.3

Windows 10 Enterprise

16GB memory, 16GB pagefile

Render settings set to "Editing", "5.2K", "360 Audio".

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/Fusion-Studio-1-0-Memory-error-Crashes-Constan...

https://www.reddit.com/r/gopro/comments/7efi32/fusion_studio_crashes/

Seems this has been an issue since version 1.0, and still exists today on version 1.3. When the leak is present, Fusion Studio can't get through rendering a single video without crashing after using up all of my system's memory (16GB ram + 16GB pagefile). It gets to about 40% on the render before ~39GB of memory is committed and the app crashes. This is on a 1 minute 30 second clip.

This only started happening after I added about 50 videos to the render queue and tried to render them over night, and it couldn't get through the first one (short 1-2 minute clip) without crashing. Previously I had only rendered one or two videos on the queue at a time, which it seemed to handle OK (I didn't monitor ram usage at the time, no idea how much it took up).

I tried reducing the render queue from 50 videos to 8, and it still couldn't get through the first without using up all my memory and crashing. I then tried reducing it to 2, no difference.

I decided at this point to forget restoring my previous session and start from a new one. Added one video to the render queue (1 min 30 second clip) and hit render. This time when it got to 40%, 14.1GB of memory was in use, 27.3GB committed. At 50%, 14.8GB in use, 27.9GB committed. At 60%, 15.1GB in use, 28.3GB committed. At 70%, 15.2GB in use, 28.3GB committed. At 80%, 15.3GB in use, 28.5GB committed. At 90%, 15.2GB in use, 29.7GB committed. At 99%, 15.3 GB in use, 30.2GB committed. No crash.

After that I closed Fusion Studio to start a new session. Added 15 videos to the render queue (most of these are under a minute long, with 2 of them being ~10 minutes long, and 2 being ~7 minutes long). It got through the first clip (30 seconds) without issue, but crashed on the 2nd clip (1 minute) about half way through (15.9GB 100% of memory in use, 39.2GB committed).

It seems the issue might lie with sessions with larger render queues, and once this issue is present, even clearing the queue down to 1 video doesn't solve it, you need to start a new session and render one or two videos at a time.

If there's any crash dumps I can upload I'd be happy to submit them. The usual upload crash log dialogue didn't pop up after any of the crashes.

Tourist

Re: Fusion Studio 1.3 memory leak (on larger render queues)

It seems the size of the render queue may not matter. Just tried to render one video (1 minute clip) and it didn't even get half way before taking up all my system's memory and crashing.

Sightseer

[ Edited ]

I am having this issue too with Windows 10 Professional.

32GB RAM, 1TB pagefile (set it to that for testing)

15 minute video, set it to render 5.2K at all highest settings.

Fusion Studio used all of my RAM and around 300GB of the pagefile before the app crashed. I sent in crash reports multiple times, so hopefully this helps the devs track down the cause.

GoPro

Thank you for the feedback and the detailed description of the matter, @rockysand61858 and @coolpike35853 . We will submit this to the team for a closer look. We'll keep you posted. 

Hiker

any update on this?  Fusion Studio is essentially useless right now, I cannot stitch any videos without crashing due to out of memory exceptions.  is there another version we can test?  if not, when will it be released?  is anyone even listening?  I have lost all faith in the GoPro brand after this Fusion fiasco.  probably should have not released the camera with such crap software until it was fixed.

GoPro

[ Edited ]

Hello @dw450

Sorry to hear about the trouble. We are still waiting for an update from the team. Alternatively, you can contact our Support team for a more personalized support. This way, a case can be established and the Fusion team can walk you through additional steps. You can reach the team through phone or chat here  https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

I'm having the same issue and getting really fed up since I just had to setup a 2nd PC to even get it to run (first was a Dell XPS 15 9575 with 8th gen Intel CPU, Intel/AMD on-board, then GTX 1080 in eGPU over tb3).

Ironic that GoPro gave me so much attitude (when they were they were no-where near as capable as we were) in the early days, when I was breaking new ground (live-stitching and streaming G'n'R from Coachella, for YouTube) doing live stitching, and now I'm just another annoyed consumer of there's.

Time to go see what stitching package will pick up the slack today because after 6 months of wasting time with Fusion, I've had it.

Tourist

More searching led me to the following and after switching to stereo audio, it looks like my stitching jobs are running now, without the ram leak.

Hope this helps someone else.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/GoPro-Fusion-Studio-1-3-ALWAYS-crashing-when-using-360-Audio/...