Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Fusion 360 Video Start Orientation

[ Edited ]

When I exported some 360 footage for YouTube out of Fusion Studio, it defaulted to a start position of the rearward facing camera. Is there a way when exporting 360 video out of Fusion Studio to select the stating orientation of the video for at least yaw, pitch would be great too.

I doub't seeing the footage would help answer the question, but here it is just in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8cJ-m-YX-8

Took the GoPro Fusion out for a test run down some singletrack on Marshall Canyon today.

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: Fusion 360 Video Start Orientation

From my comments in the Fusion stabilization thread-

If you do not turn on stabilization, you can use the sliders (yaw, pitch, roll) to orient however you want to be for the clip.

If you turn on stabilization, it locks to the orientation of the camera at the start fo the clip (facing whatever direction the Back camera is pointing at. The sliders seem to do something in preview, but are actually doing nothing- the rendered video will still be locked to Back camera orientation at start of clip.

The only low cost Windows software I have found that allows full 360 degree manupulaiton, re-orienting, keyframe changes, little planet, etc. is CyberLink PowerDirector 16 ($59-$79, depending on sale). But I have only got it to import max resolution of 4K H.264 source.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

From my comments in the Fusion stabilization thread-

If you do not turn on stabilization, you can use the sliders (yaw, pitch, roll) to orient however you want to be for the clip.

If you turn on stabilization, it locks to the orientation of the camera at the start fo the clip (facing whatever direction the Back camera is pointing at. The sliders seem to do something in preview, but are actually doing nothing- the rendered video will still be locked to Back camera orientation at start of clip.

The only low cost Windows software I have found that allows full 360 degree manupulaiton, re-orienting, keyframe changes, little planet, etc. is CyberLink PowerDirector 16 ($59-$79, depending on sale). But I have only got it to import max resolution of 4K H.264 source.

Tourist

Thanks! It's an odd effect of turning on stabilzation and whay they'd pick the rear facing camera to pin it to makes no sense. Anyway, now that you've helped me understand what's going, I can account for the issue.

I've only played with Fusion Studio, but I'm assuming I can reset the start orientation if I bring the footage in Premiere and use GoPro's plugins there, do you have any expeiorence with that?

Thanks again!

Nomad

GoPro is adding the option to have the orientation follow the direction of motion when using stabilization.
Hiker

Yes, you can reset orientation in 360 editing software like Premiere and even the budget one I mentioned earlier. But it's a pain to keep keyframing are re-aligning horizontal-forward repeatedly.

I would rather prefer the Fusion Studio stabilize to lock horizonal, regardless of position of the camera at the start of the clip. If a small startup like Rylo can already do this, and on their mobile app(!), GoPro better deliver.
Hiker

Fusion Studio 1.1 update has moved Stabilization out of Beta. It now has 2 options- anti-shake and full stabilizaiton.

The full stabilizaiton setting is also not behaves like how I expect stabilization to behave- automatically leveled with the horizon and locked in the direction of forward motion. Excellent! 

Thanks GoPro :)

Sightseer

I have been trying to import video stitched in Editing Format by Fusion Studio into Powerdirector 16.  Powerdirector is only getting the audio, no video.  The stitched video will play in the GoPro VR player however.   Any advice on how to get the footage to work in PD16 would be greatly appriciated.

Hiker

You must be using 5.2K stitch. PowerDirector 16 only supports max resolution of 4K 360 degree video to edit.