Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

DashWare Videos Upside Down

[ New ]

I have a couple Hero 7 Blacks that I used to record track day footage, and I had to mount one of the cameras upside-down. When I watch the video and place the gauges on DashWare, I can check a box that says "Rotate Video 180 degrees". With this, I'm able to get everything set up the way I want, but when I try to save the video with overlays, it's upside-down again. Images from DashWare and the exported video are below. I can't find anywhere in the SW options to correct this during export - is there a way?

An alternative method would be using Quik, but I haven't been able to find a way to customize gauges or create a clip more than 60 seconds long.

This seems like it should be so simple... I appreciate any help solving what has not taken me over a month to get my track day footage sorted out. I'm having some major buyer's remorse on this latest set of GoPro equipment.

Cheers,

-Dan

DashWare Setup.jpg

DashWare Export.jpg

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: DashWare Videos Upside Down

[ New ]

Hi @loyalblaze213

See if rotating the file first via 3rd party application like Adobe Premiere will help.

You may also check Dashware's forum regarding this.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Is-There-a-DashWare-Forum/ta-p/394165

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @loyalblaze213

See if rotating the file first via 3rd party application like Adobe Premiere will help.

You may also check Dashware's forum regarding this.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Is-There-a-DashWare-Forum/ta-p/394165

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks Ej! I rotated them using Windows Movie Maker, and DashWare ended up with the same result. What I basically have now is:

Original viideo shows up as:

VLC: Correct orientation

WMP: Correct orientation

DashWare: Upside Down

Rotated video shows up as:

VLC: Upside Down

WMP: Upside Down

DashWare: Upside Down

I would hope getting a video out of a new GoPro camera using their software would be more straightforward than this... even needing to use a 3rd party SW package to rotate the video should be unnecessary (but acceptable in the short-term if it at worked).

Certainly not a dig at you, Ej, for trying to help. Just not feeling great about a bunch of useless footage I can't overlay my telemetry data on after spending close to $1000 on new equipment. I'd have been better off using my old HeroHD from the junk drawer in my garage.

Cheers,

-Dan

Tourist

[ New ]

A week ago I messaged the Dashware profile on Facebook from you link, thank you for sharing that! Unfortunately, they've read the message but still haven't responded with anything.

It seems GoPro isn't too bothered with helping customers with a legit issue, that frankly should be easy for a camera/video-based company to address. I've returned everything, and I'll buy RaceKeeper for my next track day.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi!

Having the same issue, as I use a mouth grip for surfing, and it places the camera upside down.

As you mention, paying for a top market product like GoPro 8 Black and having this issues is non-sense. Fortunately DashWare is very flexible and I'm liking it for using the gauges. 

What I ended doing is, not rotating the video in DashWare and editing each gauge, it gives you the posibility to rotate each gauge 180°, and after creating the video, took the MP4 and just fliped it again with any video editor.

Hope this helps!