Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
%3CLINGO-SUB%20id%3D%22lingo-sub-361005%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3ECreated%20clips%20have%20heavy%20distortion%3C%2FLINGO-SUB%3E%3CLINGO-BODY%20id%3D%22lingo-body-361005%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3E%3CP%3EHi%2C%20I'm%20trying%20to%20make%20short%20simple%20clips%20on%20Quik%20but%20the%20resulting%20videos%20are%20heavily%20distorted.%26nbsp%3B%20I%20have%20a%20Hero%207%20White%20and%20Hero%207%20black%2C%20it%20is%20the%20same%20on%20both.%26nbsp%3B%20I%20have%20downloaded%20the%20software%20on%20my%20PC%20and%20Laptop%2C%20happens%20on%20both.%26nbsp%3B%20My%20PC%20is%20i7%208700k%203.7ghz%2C%2016gb%20ram%20and%20GeForce%201080.%26nbsp%3B%20I%20had%20my%20PC%20resolution%201360x768%20on%20and%20the%20video%20produced%20was%20a%20blue%20strip%20covering%2075%25%20of%20the%20screen%20and%20the%20rest%20of%20the%20video%20squashed%20into%20the%20remaining%2025%25%2C%20the%20video%20was%20so%20stretched%20it%20was%20impossible%20to%20even%20make%20out%20the%20outline%20of%20a%20face.%26nbsp%3B%20I%20changed%20the%20resolution%20to%203840x2160%20(Recommended)%20and%20it%20almost%20fixed%20the%20issue%2C%20this%20time%20the%20video%20covered%2075%25%20of%20the%20screen%20but%20the%20remaining%2025%25%20looked%20like%20a%20skid%20mark%20made%20by%20the%20video.%26nbsp%3B%20I%20have%20also%20tried%20reinstalling%20Quick%20several%20times%20and%20both%20GoPros%20are%20up%20to%20date.%26nbsp%3B%26nbsp%3B%3C%2FP%3E%3C%2FLINGO-BODY%3E%3CLINGO-LABS%20id%3D%22lingo-labs-361005%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3E%3CLINGO-LABEL%3EQuik%20for%20Desktop%20-%20Windows%3C%2FLINGO-LABEL%3E%3C%2FLINGO-LABS%3E%3CLINGO-SUB%20id%3D%22lingo-sub-361919%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3ERe%3A%20Created%20clips%20have%20heavy%20distortion%3C%2FLINGO-SUB%3E%3CLINGO-BODY%20id%3D%22lingo-body-361919%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3E%3CP%3EHi%20%3CA%20href%3D%22https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.gopro.com%2Ft5%2Fuser%2Fviewprofilepage%2Fuser-id%2F108472%22%20target%3D%22_blank%22%3E%40epicflame75810%3C%2FA%3E%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3E%26nbsp%3B%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3EKinbly%20check%20Quik's%20settings%20and%20make%20sure%20that%20the%20following%20options%20are%20turned%20on%3A%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3E%3CEM%3ESave%20videos%20in%201080p%20HD%3C%2FEM%3E%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3E%3CEM%3ESave%20videos%20in%20pro%20quality%3C%2FEM%3E%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3E%3CEM%3ESave%20videos%20in%2060%20FPS%3C%2FEM%3E%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3E%26nbsp%3B%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3ELet%20us%20know%20if%20this%20helps.%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3E%26nbsp%3B%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3E%26nbsp%3B%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3EThanks!%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3EEj%3C%2FP%3E%3C%2FLINGO-BODY%3E%3CLINGO-SUB%20id%3D%22lingo-sub-361952%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3ERe%3A%20Created%20clips%20have%20heavy%20distortion%3C%2FLINGO-SUB%3E%3CLINGO-BODY%20id%3D%22lingo-body-361952%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3E%3CP%3EI%20can't%20find%20those%20settings%20in%20the%20menu.%26nbsp%3B%20I%20record%20the%20%22clips%22%20using%20the%20same%20settings%20they%20were%20recorded%20on%20the%20GoPro%2C%20e.g.%201080%26nbsp%3B%4030fps%20on%20both%20camera%20and%20Quik%2C%20I've%20also%20tried%201080%26nbsp%3B%4060fps%20on%20both.I've%20attached%20a%20screenshot%20of%20the%20only%20setting%20pages%20I%20can%20find.%3C%2FP%3E%3C%2FLINGO-BODY%3E%3CLINGO-SUB%20id%3D%22lingo-sub-361967%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3ERe%3A%20Created%20clips%20have%20heavy%20distortion%3C%2FLINGO-SUB%3E%3CLINGO-BODY%20id%3D%22lingo-body-361967%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3E%3CP%3EHello%20%3CA%20href%3D%22https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.gopro.com%2Ft5%2Fuser%2Fviewprofilepage%2Fuser-id%2F108472%22%20target%3D%22_blank%22%3E%40epicflame75810%3C%2FA%3E%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3E%26nbsp%3B%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3EThe%20settings%20will%20be%20displayed%20after%20clicking%20save.%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3EThere%20should%20also%20be%20Custom%20setting%20where%20you%20can%20manually%20select%20the%20resolution%2Ffps.%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3E%26nbsp%3B%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3EThanks!%3C%2FP%3E%0A%0A%3CP%3EEj%3C%2FP%3E%3C%2FLINGO-BODY%3E%3CLINGO-SUB%20id%3D%22lingo-sub-361970%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3ERe%3A%20Created%20clips%20have%20heavy%20distortion%3C%2FLINGO-SUB%3E%3CLINGO-BODY%20id%3D%22lingo-body-361970%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3E%3CP%3EYeah%2C%20I've%20tried%20every%20combination%20of%20settings%3A%201920-30fps%2C%201080%20-%2030fps%2C%20Custom-30fps%2C%20Customer%20-%2025fps%20and%20Customer-24fps.%26nbsp%3B%20The%20clip%20I%20tried%20was%20recorded%20in%2030fps%20so%20only%2030-fps%20options%20appear.%26nbsp%3B%20I've%20tried%20with%20a%2060fps%20clip%2C%20but%20only%20tried%20a%20couple%20of%20combinations.%26nbsp%3B%20It%20is%20really%20strange%2C%20since%20it%20does%20this%20on%202%20different%20cameras%20and%20two%20different%20machines.%26nbsp%3B%20The%20Quik%20App%20works%20on%20my%20phone%2C%20but%20I%20don't%20want%20to%20have%20to%20do%20it%20on%20my%20phone%20with%20clumsy%20touch%20screen%20and%20then%20have%20to%20port%20them%20to%20my%20PC.%26nbsp%3B%20Also%2C%20videos%20from%20my%20Hero%207%20Black%20appear%20with%20a%20static%20coloured%20line%20on%20the%20bottom%20of%20the%20screen.%26nbsp%3B%20It%20only%20appears%20on%20Quik%2C%20no%20other%20video%20software.%3C%2FP%3E%3C%2FLINGO-BODY%3E
Reply
Tourist
Posts: 6

Created clips have heavy distortion

Hi, I'm trying to make short simple clips on Quik but the resulting videos are heavily distorted.  I have a Hero 7 White and Hero 7 black, it is the same on both.  I have downloaded the software on my PC and Laptop, happens on both.  My PC is i7 8700k 3.7ghz, 16gb ram and GeForce 1080.  I had my PC resolution 1360x768 on and the video produced was a blue strip covering 75% of the screen and the rest of the video squashed into the remaining 25%, the video was so stretched it was impossible to even make out the outline of a face.  I changed the resolution to 3840x2160 (Recommended) and it almost fixed the issue, this time the video covered 75% of the screen but the remaining 25% looked like a skid mark made by the video.  I have also tried reinstalling Quick several times and both GoPros are up to date.  

skidMarkVideo.png
GoPro
Posts: 9,464

Re: Created clips have heavy distortion

Hi @epicflame75810

 

Kinbly check Quik's settings and make sure that the following options are turned on:

Save videos in 1080p HD

Save videos in pro quality

Save videos in 60 FPS

 

Let us know if this helps.

 

 

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist
Posts: 6

Re: Created clips have heavy distortion

I can't find those settings in the menu.  I record the "clips" using the same settings they were recorded on the GoPro, e.g. 1080 @30fps on both camera and Quik, I've also tried 1080 @60fps on both.I've attached a screenshot of the only setting pages I can find.

settings.png
GoPro
Posts: 9,464

Re: Created clips have heavy distortion

Hello @epicflame75810

 

The settings will be displayed after clicking save.

There should also be Custom setting where you can manually select the resolution/fps.

 

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist
Posts: 6

Re: Created clips have heavy distortion

Yeah, I've tried every combination of settings: 1920-30fps, 1080 - 30fps, Custom-30fps, Customer - 25fps and Customer-24fps.  The clip I tried was recorded in 30fps so only 30-fps options appear.  I've tried with a 60fps clip, but only tried a couple of combinations.  It is really strange, since it does this on 2 different cameras and two different machines.  The Quik App works on my phone, but I don't want to have to do it on my phone with clumsy touch screen and then have to port them to my PC.  Also, videos from my Hero 7 Black appear with a static coloured line on the bottom of the screen.  It only appears on Quik, no other video software.

GoPro
Posts: 9,464

Re: Created clips have heavy distortion

Hello @epicflame75810

 

Sorry for the confusion, the options listed above (Save videos in 1080p HD etc.) are found on Quik for mobile's settings.

Regarding the desktop app, would you be able to send a screen shot of the error you are getting?

 

Thanks!

Ej

 

 

 

Tourist
Posts: 6

Re: Created clips have heavy distortion

There is no error message.  The videos are just distorted to the point they are unwatchable.  I put a screenshot of the distortion on the first post. I've attached another picture showing how badly it is stretched horizontally, squashed vertically and just plainly messed up at the bottom.  

quickShit.png
Tourist
Posts: 6

Re: Created clips have heavy distortion

I've found out what the issue is.  The camera is on the side of my helmet and records in portrait, Quik tries to convert it to landscape which means stretching the image horizontally and squashing the image vertically.  I can solve the issue by rotating the video in Quik, but then the video is at the wrong angle.  I can then use Adobe Premier to flip it back... but the gauges put on the video are then at the wrong angle.  Is there a way to stop Quik from converting the video to landscape?