Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Sightseer

Copyright claim on Afterglow music

[ New ]

Hi, can you help me? This is the first time I used the GoPro Quik app to quickly edit and upload a video to youtube. Within just a few minutes I got a notice that the music was copyrighted. I had no idea since it was just one of the tracks that you could select from inside the GoPro Quik app. 

Info...

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Copyright claim on Afterglow music

[ New ]

Hello @flavor30. The music provided in the GoPro App and Quik's isn't cleared for commercial use, so if you want to create a GoPro App/Quik video for commercial purposes you need to add your own licensed music.

If your video is for personal use only (e.g. personal blog/educational purpose/family friends sharing), we pay copyrights so that our users can have those songs in their personal videos; however, be aware that if you share the video on social networks, it may not be that simple since Facebook / YouTube / Instagram don't support individual licenses.

As for YouTube, they do not take down your video but they put ads on it. The GoPro App and Quik have music agreements set up so the music rights holders are able to claim and monetize user-generated content on the backend, so they just can't block or take it down. There's nothing to be done on the user’s side.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Copyright claim on Afterglow music

[ New ]

Hello @flavor30. The music provided in the GoPro App and Quik's isn't cleared for commercial use, so if you want to create a GoPro App/Quik video for commercial purposes you need to add your own licensed music.

If your video is for personal use only (e.g. personal blog/educational purpose/family friends sharing), we pay copyrights so that our users can have those songs in their personal videos; however, be aware that if you share the video on social networks, it may not be that simple since Facebook / YouTube / Instagram don't support individual licenses.

As for YouTube, they do not take down your video but they put ads on it. The GoPro App and Quik have music agreements set up so the music rights holders are able to claim and monetize user-generated content on the backend, so they just can't block or take it down. There's nothing to be done on the user’s side.