Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

Command Line & Chapter File Rendering

[ New ]

Hello,

We are trying to automate the rendering and upload process and have found there are command line switches to use with the GoPro Fusion Studio software and it works perfectly.. Single files work wonderfully with the following paramaters.

C:\Program Files\GoPro\Fusion Studio 1.3>FusionStudio_x64.exe --front C:\PythonStuff\TestChapters\100GFRNT\GPFR0011.MP4 --back C:\PythonStuff\TestChapters\100GBACK\GPBK0011.MP4 --width 3072 --videoCodec 1 --pc 1 --blending 0 --projection 0 --stabilization 2 --iq 0 --output C:\PythonStuff\TestChapters\Rendered.MP4

Untill we found that videos that are over 5min will be chaptered into seprate files. There is no information to be found on how to deal with multiple "front" and "back" files through these paramaters. Tried to see if putting commas or spaces with the chapter files in front of it would work but wasn't having much luck with that.

With the Chaptered files the structure looks like this:
>100GRFNT
>>GPFR0011.MP4
>>GF010011.MP4
>>GF020011.MP4
>100GBACK
>>GPBK0011.MP4
>>GB010011.MP4
>>GB020011.MP4

I have tried stuff like this:

C:\Program Files\GoPro\Fusion Studio 1.3>FusionStudio_x64.exe --front C:\PythonStuff\TestChapters\100GFRNT\GPFR0011.MP4 C:\PythonStuff\TestChapters\100GFRNT\GF010011.MP4 C:\PythonStuff\TestChapters\100GFRNT\GF020011.MP4  --back C:\PythonStuff\TestChapters\100GBACK\GPBK0011.MP4 C:\PythonStuff\TestChapters\100GBACK\GB010011.MP4 C:\PythonStuff\TestChapters\100GBACK\GB020011.MP4 --width 3072 --videoCodec 1 --pc 1 --blending 0 --projection 0 --stabilization 2 --iq 0 --output C:\PythonStuff\TestChapters\Rendered.MP4

That doesn't work.. Adding commas between the files doesn't work.

Kinda stumpped. Attempted to look for software that will merge the Chaptered files together and I have had some luck finding software that will do so and the videos play.. but when trying to render the merged files the Fusion Studio no longer knows what the files are.

I figured there is some sort of way to do this. I would like to get this happening as there is multiple Fusion cameras that are in use and many recordings occuring per day. The volume of videos and devices that are in use makes using the Fusion Studio GUI unreasonable in this situation. The script that I have built automatically renders the videos and then uploads it to YouTube. It works flawlessly but since these vidoes are chaptered I have ran into a roadblock.

I had contacted the support team and I didn't get very far with them. They seemed to be under the impression that I wanted to disable the chaptering but I know that won't happen as stated in the chaptering support article. I had a hard time conveying that I need some information to specifiy multiple "front" and "back" files in the command line.

They had asked me to make a video and upload to YouTube me trying to demonstarte my "issue" and I did so. You can view the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZg5LTKBeWY

Any insight on mergeing these chapter files either with the fusion studio command line or some external utility would be very helpful. I have attempted to merge the files using mencoder and the video file plays and everything like that but it seems that the Fusion Studio doesn't reconize the file after mencoder merges the chapters.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Hiker

Re: Command Line & Chapter File Rendering

[ New ]

I have figured it out..

"C:\Program Files\GoPro\Fusion Studio 1.3\FusionStudio_x64.exe" -d C:\PythonStuff\TestChapters\ --width 3072 --videoCodec 1 --pc 1 --blending 0 --projection 0 --stabilization 2 --iq 0 -o C:\PythonStuff\TestChapters\Out

Only specify the d flag then use only folder directories. It merges the file and then renders them.

Tourist

[ New ]
Ok, I am a dummy - please explain this to me. lol

1) I think you said that the files process into chapter files after five minutes of video.( Although in 1.2 I think they did every 7 minutes like every other GoPro camera....my rendering just crashed!)

2) I believe you tried to get it to bridge them through programming it a different way internally (good idea) failed)

3) I believe you said that you used an external pre-produced software to do merging\bridging of video. Failed

4) I also believe that you found a way to Merge\Bridge the files by entering a specific CL\DOS command to process it, but I am not sure how simplified it is.

Is it just one statement that has to be entered in a basic every day file? Or do I have to enter it before every rendering project 1 time? Or do I have to put it in EACH file that needs to be rendered? Or do we have to put this afterwards? THIS sounds like GoPro minimalized the length of the files from 7 minutes( normal GoPro) to 5 minutes (1.3 update) to keep program from over taxing the computer hardware. However it sounds like someone did not change and\or test the old part of the GoPro software that sequences the files at the end. This would explain why it crashes at the end. It processes all the files, but can’t merge the files because it can’t properly do the sequences and can’t verify what it made - so it thinks it is an error. It crashes out with a file, but it can’t be read because it looks like garbage to the computer - or another “type” of file. I think I’m wrong, so please clarify.
Tourist

[ New ]
Also - aren’t there supposed to be four 100GBACK files, you posted 3.
Tourist

[ New ]

@katsuro wrote:

I have figured it out..

"C:\Program Files\GoPro\Fusion Studio 1.3\FusionStudio_x64.exe" -d C:\PythonStuff\TestChapters\ --width 3072 --videoCodec 1 --pc 1 --blending 0 --projection 0 --stabilization 2 --iq 0 -o C:\PythonStuff\TestChapters\Out

Only specify the d flag then use only folder directories. It merges the file and then renders them.

Thanks that worked for me, I was facing the same problem and I feel this is the perfect solution.

Hiker

[ New ]

Okay, I should explain a bit more now that I have the time. Just to make sure everyone that starts using the command line interface you can figure out what the settings are by doing "FusionStudio_x64.exe /?" to see the parameters. In my case I wasn't going to be using the full 5.7k video resolution, so I was rendering at a smaller format (hence the --width 3072 parameter). I think if you wanted to work with the full 5.7k resolution that the GoPro records in you would want to do --width 5760.

https://pastebin.com/9gU45EZ7 - List of all the parameters if you are too lazy to do /? or /h.

I have also recently decided that the parameters I had made the video too flat looking in color and was very dull. I guess this is okay if you plan to work with it in After Effects but I needed the color and all that to be good because the solution I was working on was essentially making a script that would render all videos and then upload them to YouTube right after and we were able to get that going perfectly.

To be more true to the default coloring that you get within the GoPro Fusion Studio (vivid bright colors) I would use the following paramaters: "--width 3072 --videoCodec 0 --pc 1 --blending 0 --projection 0 --stabilization 2 --iq 3 --flatMode 0 --globalContrast 128 --sharpness 128 --temperature 128 --tint 128"

Just to be clear videocodec 0 is H.264 and stabilization 2 is Full Stabilization. The Contrast, Sharpness, Temperature, and Tint values go all the way up to 256 but the defaults are 128. I would stick to these values unless you want to tone it down a little bit. If you do not want any color changes remove the iq, flatmode, globalcontrast, sharpness, temperature, and tint parameters. Also if you are wanting to work with uncompressed footage in an Adobe product I would render using the "videoCodec 1" as that would use the CinaForm codec.

I also want to mention that my command line parameters do NOT use the 360 audio. In order to do this you would have to use the --wave flag. The audio if you aren't using 360 Audio is built into the front camera MP4 files. The --wave flag will merge the audio that is built into the MP4 files with the separate WAV files that are in the back camera source. I didn't mess with this too much so you would have to experiment yourself.

Also just another warning for anyone who will utilize these parameters. Do NOT assume even though it says (default) in the /h output that it will automatically apply the default parameters. For whatever reason I was having an issue with the main parameters that said default. I think the only reason it mentions default is because that is what the GUI typically uses? Not exactly sure. I assumed it meant that even if I didn't specify the parameter it would default to that setting but that isn't the case.

The CLI does seem kind of buggy to me. I'm not sure if I found that the caps in the parameters mattered or not (such as videoCodec) and I would think they wouldn't in a typical situation with most CLI settings but I had an many issues while trying to get all of this working.

---

To further go into detail in regards to your questions swiftflame75436:

1) I think you said that the files process into chapter files after five minutes of video.( Although in 1.2 I think they did every 7 minutes like every other GoPro camera....my rendering just crashed!)

In regards to this - it just simply depends on the chapter size. You can read more about how GoPro chapters here: https://gopro.com/help/articles/question_answer/GoPro-Camera-File-Chaptering-Information

In regard to the rest of your questions of the merging of the chapters you do not need to do anything manually for merging. The GoPro studio has to do that. I was never successful in finding a third-party software that would merge the file. I had only assumed you would need to merge the chapters manually but that is not needed since I found out how to use the "directory" flag. It took a bit of guessing since there is no documentation on the Fusion Studio CLI.

In regard to the issue you are specifically having to make sure nothing is wrong with your chapter files you should try playing them in VLC player or something. All the files should play just fine in VLC even if they are a chapter file or not. If for some reason one of the files do not properly play I suspect there to be some sort of file corruption. I have seen this happen before once and not quite sure what causes it.

If all files are playing just fine then there could be something else wrong. I would make sure you are using the command I mentioned earlier using the -d flag.

"C:\Program Files\GoPro\Fusion Studio 1.3\FusionStudio_x64.exe" -d C:\GoProSource\TopLevel\ --width 3072 --videoCodec 0 --pc 1 --blending 0 --projection 0 --stabilization 2 --iq 3 --flatMode 0 --globalContrast 128 --sharpness 128 --temperature 128 --tint 128 -o C:\GoProSource\OutputFolder\

Now notice that in the first folder I mention in that command: "C:\GoProSource\TopLevel\".. For this to work you HAVE to make sure that within that folder you have two other folders. One for the "Front" camera files and the other for the "Back" camera files. It doesn't matter what these folders are named - they just have to contain two folders and each folder should have the contents from both SD cards that came from the GoPro camera.

Also - for whatever reason even though an OutputFolder is specified it will ALWAYS put the files in the folder above it. I don't know why this is. I suspect this is an issue with the GoPro Fusion Studio, but I don't know. It also fails to give the files a format for what I remember. So after rendering you have to give the files extensions (like add JPG, MP4, or MOV). It didn't really matter to us in the situation we were dealing with. We just made the python script that was doing the rendering and uploading to YouTube handle the mess that the Fusion Studio makes.

Tourist

[ New ]

I get the errot at the start MovAtom not found any idea why?

Hiker

[ New ]

If you are getting this ignore it - it is still working!