Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Clicking "Sign In" doesn't do anything, Quick Macbook Pro

[ New ]

I'm trying to sign in to Quick on my Macbook Pro, and clicking on it doesn't do anything. I can click on nearly every other button or function in the app except that, and it looks like if I don't sign in I can't download anything off of my camera. Either that, or my computer/the app isn't recognizing the camera when I plug it in and I can't import any video files.

Anyone got any advice here?

I searched google and came across this forum where someone gave instructions to open and create a new version of the 'Host' file, but that solution didn't do anything for me. Actually, my 'host' file already had the line I was supposed to add. I added it again out of redundancy, and saved the file, but it wouldn't let me put it back in the ETC folder. 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Clicking "Sign In" doesn't do anything, Quick Macbook Pro

[ New ]

So, here is the solution:

All over this forum the suggested solution is to add an entry to the hosts file. This is confusing because there is already an entry for 127.0.0.1 localhost in the hosts file in Mac OS X. The underlying issue is how the code parses the hosts file (I don't know what the code does with the information). My best guess is that the programmer who wrote the code had a hosts file with the localhost entry on the first line in his development environment. Anyway, the solution to the "authenticating" issue is to make your hosts file look exactly the same as the one in the programmers (programming environment. So:

What we want to do:

A. Edit the hosts file. The hosts file is locked for editing in its original location so you need to make a copy that you can edit outside the original location before replacing the original hosts file.

1. Make sure you are logged in as an administrator

2. Open a Finder window

3. In the application meny, select Go->Go to Folder and enter /private/etc/hosts

3. Copy the hosts file

4. Paste the hosts file on your desktop

5. Double-click on the hosts file on your desktop to edit it

6. Move the 127.0.0.1 localhost entry to the very top of the file. Note that it is imperative that the entry is at the very top of the file

7. Close the editor (you will not be asked if you want to save the file)

8. Copy the edited hosts file on your desktop

9. In the Finder window, once again select Go->Go to Folder and enter /private/etc/hosts 

10. Paste the edited hosts file. A popup dialog box with the question "An item named “hosts” already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it with the one you’re moving?" Click Replace 

11. Turn Wi-Fi Off

12. Turn Wi-Fi On

13. Launch Quik and sign in.

Please find attached a photo that shows the original end edited hosts file 

View solution in original post

quik solution.jpg

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @jsgfretwork,

If you already followed this: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/can-t-login-to-quik/td-p/35187
And issue still exist. 

Please try to contact our customer support team. 

They can assist you with that. 

Thanks,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi jsgfretwork,

Have you been able to resolve this? I have exactly the same issue as yourself and the GoPro support team haven't been able to help.

It'd be interesting to hear what they did (or didn't do) to help in your case?

Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]

So, here is the solution:

All over this forum the suggested solution is to add an entry to the hosts file. This is confusing because there is already an entry for 127.0.0.1 localhost in the hosts file in Mac OS X. The underlying issue is how the code parses the hosts file (I don't know what the code does with the information). My best guess is that the programmer who wrote the code had a hosts file with the localhost entry on the first line in his development environment. Anyway, the solution to the "authenticating" issue is to make your hosts file look exactly the same as the one in the programmers (programming environment. So:

What we want to do:

A. Edit the hosts file. The hosts file is locked for editing in its original location so you need to make a copy that you can edit outside the original location before replacing the original hosts file.

1. Make sure you are logged in as an administrator

2. Open a Finder window

3. In the application meny, select Go->Go to Folder and enter /private/etc/hosts

3. Copy the hosts file

4. Paste the hosts file on your desktop

5. Double-click on the hosts file on your desktop to edit it

6. Move the 127.0.0.1 localhost entry to the very top of the file. Note that it is imperative that the entry is at the very top of the file

7. Close the editor (you will not be asked if you want to save the file)

8. Copy the edited hosts file on your desktop

9. In the Finder window, once again select Go->Go to Folder and enter /private/etc/hosts 

10. Paste the edited hosts file. A popup dialog box with the question "An item named “hosts” already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it with the one you’re moving?" Click Replace 

11. Turn Wi-Fi Off

12. Turn Wi-Fi On

13. Launch Quik and sign in.

Please find attached a photo that shows the original end edited hosts file 

quik solution.jpg