Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Can`t login, still "Authenticating..:" without effect

New Gopro owner here using 2017 Macbook Pro. I have tried all the suggestions on the forums and still cannot get past the authenticating issue for Quick Desktop. Pretty disappointing not to be able open the desktop application for a brand new piece of gear.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @nicestorm20108

Appreciate you going through the recommended steps. Sorry to hear about the trouble. But as this maybe related to particular settings on your device or account, let our Support team help.  You can get in touch with them via phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs. 

Best regards, 

Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

I contacted support and was able to correct my issue in about 15 minutes by editing the "Hosts" file on my laptop following thier step by step instructions.  I am up and running now.  Thanks!

Highlighted
GoPro

Awesome! Great to know that issue is resolved. Thank you for posting back to share the resolution. Stay stoked and have fun using your GoPro!

All the best, 

Marius

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi,

I have the same problem to my MacBook Air as well. i have just installed the latest version of 2.6.2.770 but it still stuck at the Authenticating page.

Go through all these topics comments since 2016 but it never solve my problem.

Mac OS: macOS High Sierra

Gopro Quik: 2.6.2.770

Internet Speed: 100mbps

Really quite dissapointed that same problem but still cannot been solved in years!!

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi,

I have the same problem to my MacBook Air as well. i have just installed the latest version of 2.6.2.770 but it still stuck at the Authenticating page.

Go through all these topics comments since 2016 but it never solve my problem.

Mac OS: macOS High Sierra

Gopro Quik: 2.6.2.770

Internet Speed: 100mbps

Really quite dissapointed that same problem but still cannot been solved in years!!

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @leonardgan

Good to know that you already have the latest version of Quik for desktop on your computer. If you have not done so yet, try the following steps: 

1 Open Quik for desktop
2 While on the login screen, select the “Help” tab above the Quik for desktop window
3 Select “Restart with default settings”
4 A modal will appear saying “Are you sure?“. Click “Restart” once more.
5 Quik for desktop will close and reopen. Quik for desktop will appear as if you installed it for the first time.
6 Go to the login screen and input your credentials. You should then be able to login successfully.

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Sightseer

Marius --

This is a frustrating problem.  I've got a brand-new, first-time GoPro HERO5 Black, and I'm ready to box it up and send it back.  The software is unusable, and thus so is the camera.

I've been reading solutions and trying things for over an hour, and have had no luck.  

• I've followed instructions to edit the "hosts" file (though the offical instructions call it "host" which is incorrect and was also frustrating) and when I copy it to my desktop, it is deleted immediately.  No matter where I copy it, it vanishes.  The instructions do not deal with this at all.
  • I've followed the instructions you write below, and it's the same over and over and over when I Restart with Default Settings.  I've never logged in to the app, and still can't.
  • My internet connection is just fine, at 98.6 Mpbs.
  • My Macbook Pro is a brand new model, Apple's latest, and all of my apps are updated to the latest versions, as is the OS

Is there a way to talk to a real person to get this non-functional software working?  Or should I give up and get a different camera?